Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 08:23:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Financial resources for residential treatment  (Read 458 times)
MOMOF2BPDGIRLS
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 19, 2016, 12:32:15 AM »

Hello. I have 2 daughter's with BPD, 27, & 19. My 19 yr old is going into Residential Treatment. The facility is in-network, but insurance doesn't pay room & board for partial hospitalization or intensive outpatient. Does anyone know of any foundations, or government grants, or anyplace where there is money available?  Also, does anyone know how I fight for complete coverage using The Mental Health Parity Act?

Thanks in advance!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
bpdmom1

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »

I've worked with Mental Health & Autism Insurance Project. Not sure if this what you are looking for, but they helped me appeal and push for coverage.  They were unsuccessful in my case, but they have helped several families.
saphirewidow

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »

I'm not sure where you are at but I just learned that up until age 21 in the United States, the schools are legally responsible to pay for free education for your child in the least restrictive environment.  In some places it might be a battle but the law is on the side of a child with disabilities.  I am just going to start looking into this with my school district.  Any child with psychological testing diagnosed with anxiety and or depression can qualify to get and IEP (individualized education plan).  Make sure it falls under the ED or emotionally disturbed label and don't let them give you something called a 504 I think?  Go for the IEP.  Then the school district must pay for your child's education in whatever setting is needed even if it is a therapeutic residential boarding school that is needed.  Some of the families with kids in the RTC my son is in are paid for completely by their school district.  Some states are apparently harder to fight for this in.  But the kids with private pay insurance get booted when their insurance ends usually in about 4 months max and the kids paid for by their district are usually paid for up to a year or more for the therapy and treatment they need.  So I don't know how it will work but I am going to begin the process for my son because I don't know how long until the insurance says forget it, he is done and I have to pull him out of some really great  therapy.  
Bright Day Mom

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »

I believe resources vary from state to state as one of the other posts mentioned.

My D16 is currently in a wonderful program and it is covered entirely by our state. Do you have a county CMO?  If not, call your county and inquire about the process of acquiring a care manager. You may need to be referred by a social worker.  It is a process, at least in our state, but it worth the time / effort.

Our insurance does not allow for residential at all and many people have to pay out of pocket at least for the room / board portion, sometimes taking out second mortgages, cashing in stocks, bonds, whatever resources are avail at the time.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest