Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 05:56:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We had a really heated argument...  (Read 370 times)
Legacyvet

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 15, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »

Hello thank goodness I found this site I hope it helps me deal with my wife's disorder.  I gave been married for 6 years to a really wonderful woman and although we have had some really low and trying times she can be loving and caring. I'm not sure if she has BPD or another disorder. But little trivial things tend to set her off. The latest was cracker crumbs in the twins car seat . I was ordered to never feed them anything while in there seats and I broke the rules while I had them alone Saturday and it was a huge mistake.  We had a really heated argument because I went against her wishes. I feel it could have been delt with differently.  This is just a small piece of what has happened in the past 6 years. I'm not innocent I had no outlet or way of dealing with her so I became defensive and it turned always into high conflict.  I just want some support .

I'm confused and sad.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Legacyvet

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »

Hello I haven't had much of any responses to my newbie introduction
 Maybe I wasn't clear enough on the subject line? I'm really hurting just want some support and how people are dealing with there spouses who they love and don't want to give up on.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:34:37 PM »

We had a really heated argument... .

Can you tell us about what happened. What did she say? What did you say? How heated? How was it left?

Why did she establish this boundary about food? Did you agree with it?

It good to learn from situations like on how to handle future situations.

Also, you might want to check out this 3 minute video: https://bpdfamily.com/content/ending-conflict

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
jrharvey

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »

With BPD people can feel emotions 10X stronger so this sounds normal. To you its just bread crumbs and such a minor thing. When they feel loved they show love 10 times more. When they feel annoyed they get angry 10 times harder.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »

Hi Legacyvet,

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to bpdfamily. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time and you chose to come to the right place. Many of our members here can relate with you and offer you guidance and support. I see that you have your way to the improving board https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=297840.msg12794185#msg12794185

I understand how difficult it is when our partner suffers from BPD and we feel like we're on an emotional rollercoaster when something insignificant to us sets our partner off. It's confusing because we don't what we did and frustrating because we can't anticipate if we're going to set our partner off again. Skip gave you a good article on ending conflict. I'd like to recommend another tool for you that will help. A pwBPD have low self worth, low self esteem and are highly critical about themselves and feel more negative feelings than positive ones. A pwBPD need a lot of validation, it helps to validate a pwBPD's feelings.

Communication Skills - Don't Be Invalidating

I'm glad that you decided to join us. Hang in there.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »

Hey Legacyvet:   
I'd like to join Mutt, Skip and JRHarvey in welcoming you.

I'm so sorry about the fight you had.  It can be very upsetting.  My situation is a bit different, but I've been very upset from my sister's rage events.  Growing up, my dad was extremely critical and he would get angry about how a kitchen counter top was cleaned (sponge marks), blame a family member for a nick or scratch on something.  You might find it interesting to read a post on this same board from a couple of days ago.  The title is "I cooked too much broccoli".  Many of us can relate to how minor issues can turn into a very unpleasant situation.

Has you wife ever been in therapy or treated for any mental illness before (any meds prescribed by a primary care doctor) ?

There are a lot of helpful people here and a lot of good lessons about techniques to use for interacting with disordered people.  It can seem overwhelming right now, but you might find that gaining certain  intercommunication skills can be helpful.  If you look to the right of the page, you will see some links to various lessions.

A Theory of the Pattern of Blame
You might find the article below of interest.
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=271911.0.
ArleighBurke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »

Hey,

Sorry you didn't get much response initially - it's hard to predict how many members are online at any one time. Even the senior members have jobs and lives... .

Whether or not your wife has BPD, the techniques on this board and in the books will be able to help. The other members have recommended Validation - it's a good technique to try to "listen" better to your wife and understand what she really feels. (Women often don't say what they really mean - validation helps. It wouldn't suprise me if the crumbs incident was because she felt disrespected - because she had asked you not to, and because there was a mess that perhaps she felt expected to clean up.).

If you can, also try to read these books:
    - Stop Walking on Eggshells. A really good "first book" for understanding BPD and techniques to use
    - The High Conflict Couple - is a couples book that doesn't mention "BPD" but is all about tehcniques to communicate and work better together

Keep posting and we can help make things better!

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
Legacyvet

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »

Thanks everyone for the support.  The ups and downs are so hard one minute she's so loving and joking around the next She is going crazy for small issues. She has never been to a doctor for this no meds at all. On a good note her sister has told her we need counseling I'm sure because I'm such a bad guy . One sided stories to siblings usually.  But I think it's a good start maybe then the counselor will see what's going on. Thanks again everyone.  Today is going well so far.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest