Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 12:24:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 days after BPD  (Read 400 times)
mooncounter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 17, 2016, 12:43:51 AM »

After a 15 year relationship I finally managed to break away from my BPD partner.
I took a month of vacation,  told everyone (except my employer) that I had quit my job and moved away and spent a month in the woods on my gold claim.
Dealing with my ptsd and seeing a therapist and damn I still want every day to pick up the phone to talk with my ex.
I know i can't and shouldn't but my codependant nature still wants to believe that there is some hope for us as a couple in the future.

I need some learned advice from one who has been there... .
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:15:00 AM »

Hi mooncounter,

Welcome

I commend you for your strength to break away from a 15 year marriage. That is no easy feat, and you are doing all the right things for yourself, like taking time out for self care and seeing a therapist. Losing such an important relationship is so painful, it makes perfect sense that you want to reach out to your ex. 

So many of us here felt hope for the relationship, including me, but unfortunately for many of us, that hope was usually dashed with repeated recycling of the relationship and repeated dysfunctional patterns of relating. That's not to say that such relationships can't work. With lots of therapy and effort and tools, they can improve.

Forty days isn't very long when you consider how long you've been together. You sound really stable for that amount of time apart. I assume you are NC with your ex at the moment. What thoughts and feelings come up for you right before you feel that urge to reach out? We often want to reach out to soothe an uncomfortable feeling.

You've come to the right place for support. Our members understand what you are going through, and will share their wisdom and experiences with you.

Keep writing, it helps. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »

Hi mooncounter,

Welcome

I'd like to join heartandwhole and welcome you. What happened before you took your vacation? Did you take a break for a month to take personal inventory? Were you trying to sort out staying or leaving?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
mooncounter

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »

I had looked for an opportunity to leave my BPD partner for years... .did not want to leave with bills, debts stacked up, and waited until she was working after  a 2 year break... .and able to support herself.  the moment finally arrived and I followed a plan that had been in place for months.
I would have felt too guilty to leave her with massive bills.

With that said, I left myself with very little money, slept in my vehicle while working and on holiday lived in the bush in my rickety old motorhome with a leaky roof.
It was terrific. relaxing, swimming, gold panning.   Ate a lot of canned stews from the dollar store... .

I highly recommend the experience.   Unlike some others I had a place to go and a plan.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest