Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:10:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still in love with my ex  (Read 410 times)
Arlington
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 09, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »

Hi,

My ex-girlfriend was recently diagnosed with BPD. I still love her very much, even though she has a new partner.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can openly and honestly communicate with her that won't have her running for the hills? Ideally I'd like to be able to tell her how I feel but I recognise that may not be the right thing to do.

I've been reading about BPD a lot and am going through therapy myself so I recognise the value of my own self-care.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Curiously1

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »

Hi Arlington, I am sorry you are going through this.

How long ago was the break up?

I honestly think that the right thing to do is to respect that she is with a new partner and not get inbetween them.

The quote that goes 'If you love someone, set them free' comes to mind.  I am sure you would want her to do the same for you if you happened to be in her situation.

If you are truly compelled to tell her how you feel, I would keep it to something brief such as 'I want you to know that I care about you a lot. I still cherish the happy memories we shared. We are no longer together but I still wish you happiness. All the best. Arlington.' But that is just an example. I do not think there is anyway you can predict her reaction on how you wish to express your love for her. You will have to be brave no matter how she accepts your feelings.

Keeping reading about BPD. Learning about BPD is very useful to better understand your ex as well as your part in your relationship with her. Recognising the value of self-care is so important. Keep up the good work, stay strong and keep  posting

Meili

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »

I agree with Curiously1.

If you are compelled to let her know that you still care about her, you'll need to be prepared for her reaction.

In the meantime, as you said, self-care is important. One of the byproducts is that it makes the non more attractive. Sometimes the pwBPD will see this and come back on their own. Other times, once strong enough to handle the response no matter what it may be.

So, what are you doing to take care of yourself?
Arlington
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »

Apologies. I wasn't clear. I wouldn't try to interfere with their relationship at all. In fact I recommended him a book for loved ones of those with BPD.

It was more about how to handle talking with her if they break up and in the meantime.
Curiously1

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »

So you are no longer speaking with her unless they break up?
Is your plan to profess your love for her if they break up? is that what you mean? or how to handle yourself when you see her around?
I suppose preparing yourself mentally beforehand on what you would like to say can help with lessening your nerves.
What couldn't you handle if you spoke to her?
I'd still encourage you to be brave, be yourself and accept how she feels.

Meili

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »

Apologies. I wasn't clear. I wouldn't try to interfere with their relationship at all. In fact I recommended him a book for loved ones of those with BPD.

Trying to be "helpful" is another form of interfering.

Besides, why would you want to be supportive of the new relationship?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest