Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 03:32:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a support group  (Read 374 times)
ACL_1012
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 13, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »

Hello,

My dad has BPD. I always knew he was different from most of my friends' dads but just attributed it to him being an authoritarian and strict parent. It wasn't until I was in the pharmaceutical sales world as a college intern and I learned about various behavior disorders that were not due necessarily to a chemical balance - and I discovered the perfect most on-point description of my dad: Borderline Personality Disorder. As I was learning about it, my jaw just dropped. I finally felt understood. 

Over the years I decided to seek therapy for myself as I struggled severely with self confidence and self esteem. I graduated from college and became a CPA. After several years in the work world, my dad begged and begged for me to work for him to help run his local business. It took a year of listening to him repeatedly tell me "I need you" before I caved and convinced myself it would make him happy and subsequently me happy too. I have been working with him for several years now and it has been anything but fun and rewarding. I feel totally trapped. My brother and my mom also work for him.

I have read some books on NPD and BPD and discovered this online support group. I figured it always helps to have strength in numbers and learn from others' experiences.

Thank you for listening and I look forward to learning from you.

Naughty Nibbler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »

Welcome ACL_1012:  

I'm sorry about you situation with your dad.  Working in a family business is difficult with the best of circumstances.  It has to be very difficult for you.  Everyone wants validation in the work place and from their family in general.  It has to be doubly frustrating for you to deal with you dad with both family and work dynamics.

Have you thought about looking for another job and about some sort of exit plan to leave the family business and work somewhere else?  Are you exploring this with your therapist?  I can hear that you are aware that it will be impossible for you to make your dad happy and that you are sacrificing your own happiness by trying.  You deserve to have a satisfying career and work in an environment where you receive validation and respect.

How is your brother dealing with the situation?  Are you able to talk confidentially with him? What are some of the major issues for you when working in the family business?  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest