Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 02:00:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they really have no control?  (Read 336 times)
Coping64

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 08, 2017, 12:44:45 AM »

Hi. My partner has BPD and I'm constantly being criticised for 'not handling it well'. When my partner gets into a rage and starts verbally abusing me, screaming the house down, throwing things etc - he tells me that I need to go to him and cuddle him and try calm him down. He gets angry when I take his hurtful comments to heart and says things like 'you know i don't mean anything i say when I'm in those moods so just ignore me and help me'. I just find it so hard to do when he constantly tears me down and expects me to come running. Also, he runs off every few days to 'kill himself' yet has come home the last 60 times and tells me it's my fault for not recognising that he was heading into a mood and for not calling him until my battery dies (and when I do he hangs up). He says goodbye and then proceeds to txt and call me for hours before coming home. And if I don't buy into it or say what he wants me to  then I get told I'm terrible and don't give a ___ about him. Anyway this is only the half of it. My question is: how much control do BPD sufferers actually have? In my opinion it seems as though he has control a lot of the time but chooses not to use it or doesn't care. But I'm constantly being told by him that he can't control anything and I should simply just deal with it. I don't know which is more true.
lovenature

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »

Welcome Andrea

PWBPD have defences to control emotions that are too painful for them, they all boil down to them making up their own reality based on their current feeling of the moment: to them feelings=facts. There will be times where their behaviour is rational to actual reality and times (many) where it is irrational, confusing, and hurtful.
It sounds like your partner has a grasp on his behaviour, but maybe he doesn't know why he does what he does. Bottom line is verbal, emotional, and physical abuse isn't acceptable, mental illness or not. If he is willing to get the help he needs because he wants to stop treating you the way he has, and wants to improve your relationship then I think you have a chance, albeit probably a very slim one at getting to a healthy enough relationship, but if he expects you to continue sacrificing your health to sooth his emotions then you will eventually loose yourself.

Keep reading, posting, learning so you can decide what is best for your situation. Look after YOU.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest