Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my husband/meltdowns at dinner  (Read 354 times)
shinara
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: February 12, 2017, 12:38:02 AM »

Hi, Ive been married 30 years to a BPD, and have managed to survive, but now that the kids are gone, and he hasn't been well, I see him devolving before my eyes. He has worked an addiction  recovery program in the past and that has helped, but he has been sick for about 5 months with some hard time taking deep breaths. This has lad to anxiety and rounds of doctors, so now his emotional stability is at stake. Ive joined this community to seek your wisdom.
Shinara

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

Hi Shinara,  

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to  bpdfamily. 30 is a long history, I'm sorry ot hear that you're going a difficult time. is your H diagnosed with BPD? I can see how the anxiety would trigger him, BPD is an emotional dysregulation disorder, the person can't self sooth and the anger is directed at loved ones because they're the most tempered. It doesn't mean that we have to subject ourselves to behavior that should really be managed by that person and not from someone else. I just want to ask you what your boundaries are when your H has meltdowns?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
shinara
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »

I'd actually some some input about boundaries when we have 7/8 guests around a table for dinner and suddenly he's triggered and attacks one of them. He has learned over the years not to attack me, but hasn't quite got the message about others. I know that his triggers around dinner include: not having his voice heard at the family table, anxiety over whether all the dishes match, etc etc. The questions how  do I respond or manage it? After his outburst he got up and left the table and went to bed. He knew he was wrong, so he put himself in "time out", I was left with shocked guests.

The other thing I have noticed is that the  full and quarter moons exacerbate the outbursts and his inability to control himself. Anybody else notice this?
Shinara
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »

One thing which helped me, but took a loong time to come to accept was that I'm not responsible for another person's behavior, even if I'm married to them.

There were many times my wife would get triggered and lash out at people in ways that were hurtful and confusing to them.

I tried to find ways to "make things better", trying to make my wife look better, apologizing for her odd behavior, or trying to somehow justify it.

Unsurprisingly, this didn't really make things very much better, and it didn't do anything to stop the behavior.

Realizing that her r/s with my friends and family or joint friends and fmaily was hers, and it wasn't my job to protect or fix it helped.

So did realizing that if *I* tried to fix my wife's messes, it made me look worse.

In short... .you really can't manage it. But it is OK. Especially since he takes himself into time out, which is better than other things he could do!
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:40:05 PM »

I'd actually some some input about boundaries when we have 7/8 guests around a table for dinner and suddenly he's triggered and attacks one of them. He has learned over the years not to attack me, but hasn't quite got the message about others. I know that his triggers around dinner include: not having his voice heard at the family table, anxiety over whether all the dishes match, etc etc. The questions how  do I respond or manage it? After his outburst he got up and left the table and went to bed. He knew he was wrong, so he put himself in "time out", I was left with shocked guests.

Since you can be affected by his social behavior it's difficult to separate you from him,  but you can't control his behavior and unfortunately that means he has a right to embarrass himself (and sadly his behavior can cause you to feel embarrassed too). Let him blow up and leave the table. Once he leaves quietly address the people he offended. Don't apologize FOR him, but perhaps you could talk about how the blow up made things uncomfortable. I'm learning direct communication is best and taking the subject head on really helps me avoid embarrassment.   If the friends are close enough friends, and you trust them, perhaps you can try to explain a little about BPD to them. This is very touchy as you don't want to degrade your H or share too much private info with friends, but if they are going to be a part of your life, then they might want to know what is going on with him.

I've had situations where my H blew up on friends. He eventually talked to the person and they talked it out, but the public humiliation for me was so difficult. I can see how his behavior has ostracized us from others. We no longer get invited to certain events and it's painful.

I am conscious of my social reputation. I've had to go to couple's parties alone. I've been left with having to decide whether to make up a lie or tell an uncomfortable truth. I went with the truth. I just said, "He didn't feel like coming." It took a lot of pressure off me and when they saw my H next he had to answer for his absence.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest