Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 09:26:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal statement  (Read 384 times)
Desparado_ef

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: February 17, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »

Thank you for this outlet. I am dealing with a sibling who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and whom I believe to also suffer from narcissistic personality disorder as well. If the two can be occurring simultaneously?

He engages in extremely destructive behavior and has for the past 8 or so years (really ramped up the intensity in the last 5 years) caused our family a great of hurt, disappointment and shame. I don't know how else to go about dealing with this as I am very much the internalised. When his destructive behavior comes to the fore about every 4-6 months it's a national topic of discussion. He doesn't care about how his actions affect my parents. He constantly says awful things like "he is living his life and what he does shouldn't affect them/us". Yet, they have to constantly bail him out or run to the hospital behind his latest drama.

It's exhausting. My parents do not deserve this. I don't think it's fair. That their life is under the microscope of a country because he refuses to acknowledge that he is unwell.

I don't know what else to do. So here I am.
Help me to find the mechanisms to cope.
_Joy_

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »

Hi Desparado_ef,

I'm sorry for what you're going through. I can relate. My mother has Borderline Personality Disorder and my sister has started exhibiting traits very similar to hers. I wish I had words of wisdom with how to cope. I'm still trying to figure that out too. Hopefully we'll figure it out soon.   
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

Hi Desparado_ef,

Welcome

Excerpt
He constantly says awful things like "he is living his life and what he does shouldn't affect them/us".

I'd like to join _Joy_ and welcome you to  bpdfamily. I can see how stressful and distressing that would feel when a family members suffers from mental illness, it also has to be hard to watch your parents go through this. I have to agree with your sibling though, a coping mechanism is to depersonalize the behaviors, your sibling's mental illness is not personal, although you can have your feelings about it, it helps to talk it. Learn to stop reacting to your sibling when they have an emotional uproar.

PS You'll find the lessons on the right side of the board.  Being cool (click to insert in post)

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »

It sounds like your brother and possibly your family are public figures.  This certainly adds a while other level of stress to be under the microscope of public opinion. 

Leaving that aspect aside (for now), it sounds like you are most struggling with how his behaviours are affecting your parents,  yes? From what you wrote, and please clarify if I am song this wrong, it sounds like your parents are engaging in rescuing behaviors. If I went a step further,  would it be right to say that rescuing=enabling? If so,  it's understandable from a parents' point of view.  We see this on the Parenting Board, parents at a loss of how to set boundaries interacting with an emotionally limited child who is often so wrapped up on themselves, being incapable of seeing the harm they cause others.  Drama is normal to them; it's all they've known. 

Is your primary goal here to help your parents better interact with him?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Desparado_ef

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »

It is not so much public figures but he is quite infamous in the country. His behavior has dragged my family under the microscope. He is constantly seeking to be a national topic. I would love to help my parents to know when to let go but they are pointedly aware that if they do not help him. No one will because he is burdensome. His behavior is that of an entitled know-it-all.

Drama is all he knows. He thrives on drama and confrontation. He drags them in and I think their religious beliefs have a lot to do with them not wanting to cut the ties.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 11:31:45 PM »

We can help you deal with your parents, but ultimately they own their r/s with your brother.

Otherwise, how is it affecting you?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Desparado_ef

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »

We can help you deal with your parents, but ultimately they own their r/s with your brother.

Otherwise, how is it affecting you?

I'm in between numb and overwhelmed. I feel under the microscope but I don't know if that is real or imagined. I feel like everyone is talking but not to me just about me. Judging my parents  and my family based on the actions of him.
I am scared that both my parents are taking it so hard and how it could negatively affect their health. Both at their wit's end trying to get him help he constantly refuses.
I feel like I want to sink into a hole. My bf said I need Jesus and that I have lost my faith. My parents are very religious and I haven't lost it as much as not sure God is looking in on this situation at all. It gets worse and it's all so over exposed. I have to try to create a semblance of normalcy when I hardly feel normal.

Sometimes, I am just floating through the day. Anxiety overcoming me whenever I see my phone ring.

My friend gave me a number for a counselor but what do I say?
"Hi, you've probably heard of my brother. Please don't judge me."

I am sad. I am tired of the situation. I am overwhelmed.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest