Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:03:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD significant other wants time and space  (Read 2853 times)
Flowerman
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »

My significant other says she need time away from each other, a break from our relationship to see if she wants to stay in our relationship or just be friends. What do you suggest: give her the time and space she requested or try and be with her now.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

cubicinch

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »

space of some sorts in any relationship is important, even if only a small amount... if this person has requested it, then I would respect their wish, even if it might go against your feelings. Space can help bring about perspective and clarity from both sides. This person obviously has uncertain emotions and wants the time to test themselves, if they miss you or not, but you don't want this to keep happening over and over, it will damage you emotionally. 
Bwn
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »

sorry to Hijack but im new here.
What if youve broken up but she wants to see you and you spend the night just after a break up?
Should i be the one to leave her go?
GuySmiley

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

Usually when a BPD wants space from the relationship it means they want to look elsewhere, while still maintaining a connection to you in case dating doesn't work out. Being on a break is a grey area that's neither an on or an off relationship. And it gives them the freedom to dip their toe in the dating pool without having to be completely single if the next partner doesn't work out - they still have you to fall back on because the relationship never ended, you were just on a break, remember? Similarly if they do meet someone else and it does work out, well you'll be dumped in a shot, because you weren't together, you were on a break, remember. They're trying to have their cake and eat it.

You're setting yourself up as being an option to someone as opposed to being their one single choice. You're lowering your value in their eyes.

If they're looking for space or thinking of having a break then give them what they ask for - a break, but you make it a clean permanent break and move on. Because chances are if you stick around and let them keep you in the grey area you're going to get hurt in the near future.
cubicinch

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »

Usually when a BPD wants space from the relationship it means they want to look elsewhere, while still maintaining a connection to you in case dating doesn't work out. Being on a break is a grey area that's neither an on or an off relationship. And it gives them the freedom to dip their toe in the dating pool without having to be completely single if the next partner doesn't work out - they still have you to fall back on because the relationship never ended, you were just on a break, remember? Similarly if they do meet someone else and it does work out, well you'll be dumped in a shot, because you weren't together, you were on a break, remember. They're trying to have their cake and eat it.

You're setting yourself up as being an option to someone as opposed to being their one single choice. You're lowering your value in their eyes.

If they're looking for space or thinking of having a break then give them what they ask for - a break, but you make it a clean permanent break and move on. Because chances are if you stick around and let them keep you in the grey area you're going to get hurt in the near future.
interesting you should comment this, mine  ditched me over a period of weeks, just allowed me to hang myself slowly, then announced that we were both free to date again, without any sympathy or regret, or remorse over the failed relationship attempt... no period of mourning for her, to regather her life before she could go and find someone else, just straight back in there, and no qualms about telling me that either.
abraxus

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »

Usually when a BPD wants space from the relationship it means they want to look elsewhere, while still maintaining a connection to you in case dating doesn't work out. Being on a break is a grey area that's neither an on or an off relationship. And it gives them the freedom to dip their toe in the dating pool without having to be completely single if the next partner doesn't work out -

This is one aspect of BPD I find contradictory, and why I think some of it is bs. If we're to believe what we're told, then people with BPD are stuck in a pattern of black of white thinking. If that were true, then a relationship would be either on or off, and not stuck in some grey area limbo. In fact I've used that logic in the past with a BPD girlfriend, who wanted space, and told her that I don't do grey areas, only black and white, and that together means "on" and space means "off", and that I was happy for her to choose either. She decided she didn't need the space after all.

In my experience, I've found that it's best never to fight any decision she might want, or request she may make. Instead tell her that you're happy for her to do as she pleases, but explain to her how you will view it and what your actions will be accordingly. That way she gets the benefit of making her own decision, whilst being fully aware of the consequences of it, and knowing that it won't allow her to keep you dangling on a string.
cubicinch

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »

In my experience, I've found that it's best never to fight any decision she might want, or request she may make. Instead tell her that you're happy for her to do as she pleases, but explain to her how you will view it and what your actions will be accordingly. That way she gets the benefit of making her own decision, whilst being fully aware of the consequences of it, and knowing that it won't allow her to keep you dangling on a string.
I don't think she even has or will date again, I think she said things like this to provoke response from me. I just said okay then, and straight on with the NC. Which is where it will stay for good.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest