Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 12:26:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the diagnosis is in...  (Read 365 times)
daverisk

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 17, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »

Due to a cancellation my wife was able to get her psychiatric evaluation done earlier than expected.  In Czech it's called Porucha osobnosti Sebevědomí... .which essentially translates as Self-Confidence Personality Disorder.  I can't find anything on Google like that... .

I know self-esteem and self-confidence are issues faced by BPDs... .I'll have to wait until Monday to talk to my counselor to see what she makes of the dx.

I'm still going to approach this as if it's some form of BPD... .maybe their still reluctant to dx BPD here.  But, there is good news... .of sorts.

In April she's going to a five-week inpatient therapy program... .so there is that.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »

I haven't heard of that personality disorder before either, you're right about low esteem, low self worth, that can also be found in other mental disorders, depression comes to mind.

Some people may have a couple of BPD traits and they don't have a diagnosis for BPD and some have several and have a BPD diagnosis, there's also severity as well or different levels of severity.

The symptoms can be found in other mental disorders, for some reason it is a mental disorder that has the most comorbidity then other mental disorders, there can be more then one personality disorder comorbid with BPD. Usually there is an underlying clinical anxiety and depression, most pwBPD have depression. PTSD is also common because some people with BPD experienced traumatic events, ADHD is common as well, as you can see there are many disorders and an experienced professional should be able to distinguish the BPD symptoms from other mental disorders.

I'd also like to add that if a pwBPD has a substance abuse issue or depression, usually they want to get that under control because it will help with the BPD traits. Are they familiar with BPD?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
daverisk

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »

Mutt,
No substance abuse that I'm aware of... .they are starting her on AD's on Monday.

SO has a lot of BPD traits.  I'm just thrilled she's in therapy... .a lot can develop from here.
daverisk

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:11:48 AM »

So, yesterday I showed my therapist the Czech "diagnosis" for my wife.  She said that the "Personality Disorder Self-Confidence" really isn't a dx in and of itself... .that the Psychiatrist is simply telling my wife she has a personality disorder and lack of confidence/self-esteem are an issue she needs to address.  Yep.  Thanks for that.

I'm still convinced we're looking a BPD... .and it will probably be a few weeks before the actual written diagnosis reaches my wife's therapist.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:02:50 AM »

It is possible that the T is using a diagnosis that is descriptive as it may be more acceptable to your wife. One concern with someone with BPD is their tendency to feel victimized. So by avoiding something that could feed into this, they may tend to describe the behaviors rather than use a label like BPD. Consider that BPD is a spectrum, the label itself isn't descriptive. People with BPD can have low self esteem, anxiety, eating disorder, substance abuse, and impulsive behavior- but not all pwBPD have all of these behaviors.

The T did say "personality disorder" and that pretty much says it anyway as BPD falls in that category, so from that, I think the T has at least an idea.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest