Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 11:02:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My gf was diagnosed a few months ago  (Read 347 times)
Amartin47

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »

Oddly enough this is my first real relationship with a women. We met when I was 24 and were basicly just a fling. she started a relationship with another man and stopped talking to me. But a few months later she got into contact with me And long story short we stared dating. Things were going well except for her constant seeking of attention. We started as an open relationship. I told her as the primary I wanted her to wear condoms (for my and her safety) turns out the first time she hooked up with somone they didn't strap up. It was devastating to me. I took it like she cheated, it was my only rule. (At least she was honest and told me the day after) after this incident we closed the relationship to just us. Everything was going great for a few months. She moved out of her house and into mine things were perfect. But then she had a sudden run with depression (she always knew she had BPD but never properly diagnosed) she checked herself into a local hospital where they put her on suicide watch for 2 days ( she wasn't suicidal just needed help) they put her on Zoloft and set her up with a weekly councilor(who formally diagnosed BPD). A month into this she approaches me about opening our relationship with a very close childhood friend of mine which was super awkward for both of us. We tried it for one night and both decided it was going to complicate our friendship. She took this very hard. Soon after she started talking to an ex. A few days ago when she was visiting her grandparents she met with this ex and hooked up. She again confessed to me the day after. After confessing how this makes me feel she went out with some friends on a drinking binge and had a very emotion discussion with me about how she's a slut and she can't change blah blah very drunk. Today she told me that I should just dump her because she read some forums on here about how she will never change and that I should run away. The problem is I really love this girl. She's got a lot of bad people in her life. I guess I'm white knighting her. I can't just throw her out . I need advice. All of my friends will just tell me to dump her. Maybe that's what I should do. I'm very torn.  I feel that her being self aware could mean she has a chance of getting better but on the other hand it's only been a year maybe I should take the bandaid approach and rip it off hard and fast.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »

Hi Amartin47,

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to bpdfamily, I'm glad that you decided to join us. The forum posts that she read are not one size fits all, maybe the poster was just coming out of a r/s and feeling raw and was posting out of anger. You can recover from BPD, there is treatment for it, aside from the BPD, how long have you known her? What do you feel like doing?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Amartin47

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »

I've known her just over a year now. She's 21 I'm 25. I feel like leaving her is the worst option for her. I personally have mixed emotions. I've found that she's very manipulating. I want to keep her but idk if she's just ___ing with my head. It feels like she's trying to get better, I'm the reason she went to get help
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »

Family and friends care, what they're suggesting is that you set boundaries and not let her into your world, I suggest let her in for a little while, granted people make mistakes, give them a chance, if things don't work out then you can set stricter boundaries and not let her into your world anymore, if that's what you choose to do.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Amartin47

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »

I accidentally posted this in the wrong section my mistake
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest