Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 01:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it ok to walk away?  (Read 653 times)
Havehadenuf
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »

Hi. I'm at the end of my tether with my uBPD brother. I started having panic attacks and feel anxious with the very thought of dealing/communicating/interacting with him and feel that my life and happiness has been significantly affected by his behaviour over the years. It's just been one drama after another. The latest is that he wants my elderly, ill father to support him (and his son) with free accommodation and put his own financial independence at risk. I feel he is asking way too much of him, and everyone in the family (he's also trying to involve me by sending me a lengthy explanation of why our dad should provide him with said accommodation). I know that he hasn't been honest with our dad on the reasons he now "needs" to move. I could go into more detail, but I'm just worn out and don't have the energy or the desire to deal with his stuff anymore. While I realise he's hurting if he is really BPD, I just don't have the strength to deal with the behaviour anymore. Is it ok to walk away from it all? Do I need to justify/explain why?
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »

Havehadenuf,

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to bpdfamily, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time. It sounds like your dad probably has boundaries if your brother is trying sway him by going through you. I wouldn't pick sides because you, your dad and your brother make a triangle.

We're just going to use a pwBPD for an example, a pwBPD will rarely cast themselves as persecutor, usually they'll cast themselves as victim or rescuer, BPD is a persecution complex where the person truly believes that their circumstances are caused by others and not by their choices or actions. In your situation, if you'd do as your brother asked, you'd cast yourself as rescuer because your father is cast as persecutor for not giving into the demands of your brother, to stop the drama, you have to remove yourself from this dynamic, be objectionable and not biased by picking a side.

Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle

I'd suggest to self protect because of how it's affecting you, I'm not suggesting to do it permanently, you could do it temporarily until you feel like you're recharged.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Havehadenuf
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:30:31 AM »

Hi Mutt,

Thank you so much for your response. Your read of the situation is very insightful. I will sit this one out.
Peacewithin

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »

Hi, HaveHadEnuf.   

This sounds like a really difficult situation.  I'm sorry that you have to deal with it.

I really like what Mutt suggested.  I've been learning how to let go of what I can (in regards to my BPD mum and enabling dad)... .really hard for me, but soo freeing when I can get there.  Letting go of the drama. 

XO and best wishes. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest