Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:03:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are Strong  (Read 406 times)
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: June 21, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »

This morning while taking my shower (where I do a lot of my good thinking), I was recalling my H behavior over the last few days. He has been edgy, but hasn't really been directing things at me until right before bed when he got mad at me for having family traditions at Christmas. We were watching Last Man Standing, turned off the TV to go to bed, and he started in on this subject. No clue where it came from except all day he has been looking for someone to fight with.

One of his frequent arguments about me is that he thinks I'm mentally weak. I've never taken this too serious because I know it's not true, but this morning I was thinking of this accusation.

I'm nowhere near mentally weak at all. None of us on this board are weak. We may have weak boundaries. We may be weak in not saying things we need to say, but we are not mentally weak. We are able to withstand the ups and downs of a BPD relationship. This is not something for the weak minded. It takes guts and fortitude to constantly validate and support and respond to conversations differently than in a normal relationship.

Many psychologists, who are trained in handling difficult behavior, refuse to treat people with BPD yet we live in it every single day. At the same time, our pwBPD was drawn to us because they saw something in us that made them feel safe and strong. A person doesn't find an emotional supply from someone who is weak.

I just wanted to encourage you all. No matter what your pwBPD says to you: You are strong. You are worthy. You are smart. You are valued. 

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »

Excerpt
One of his frequent arguments about me is that he thinks I'm mentally weak. I've never taken this too serious because I know it's not true, but this morning I was thinking of this accusation.

I'm just gonna toss this out here - I bet he feels HE is mentally weak, and recognizes on some level that you are not, and THAT is a source of shame for him and anger at you... .so he projects it. 

H, in his more introspective moments, tells me he realizes that I am the one who has to be more steady and more capable, and he hates how weak it makes him feel. 

BeagleGirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »

Thanks for this Tattered Heart.  Even when we know on some level that we are strong, it's really nice to be reminded of it (and to know that others see that strength).
Lakebreeze

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:41 PM »

That was so nice to hear. Thanks!
eggfry

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:39:35 AM »

I'm nowhere near mentally weak at all. None of us on this board are weak. We may have weak boundaries. We may be weak in not saying things we need to say, but we are not mentally weak. We are able to withstand the ups and downs of a BPD relationship. This is not something for the weak minded. It takes guts and fortitude to constantly validate and support and respond to conversations differently than in a normal relationship.

Many psychologists, who are trained in handling difficult behavior, refuse to treat people with BPD yet we live in it every single day. At the same time, our pwBPD was drawn to us because they saw something in us that made them feel safe and strong. A person doesn't find an emotional supply from someone who is weak.

I just wanted to encourage you all. No matter what your pwBPD says to you: You are strong. You are worthy. You are smart. You are valued. 

Thank you, so so much. Needed to hear this
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »

I'm just gonna toss this out here - I bet he feels HE is mentally weak, and recognizes on some level that you are not, and THAT is a source of shame for him and anger at you... .so he projects it. 

H, in his more introspective moments, tells me he realizes that I am the one who has to be more steady and more capable, and he hates how weak it makes him feel. 

Totally true. It really freaks him out when I am not behaving in steady manner or when I feel incapable of doing something. He has said it scares him.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest