Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 09:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help...  (Read 335 times)
Endofmyrope86
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 23, 2017, 01:50:02 AM »

I'm 31 year old man with 2 beautiful boys 4 and 2 who lives with a woman with BPD. She can be a great mother but a lot of the time acts like a child herself. She has fixated herself on my alleged infidelity and has created hundreds of scenarios which she believes to be reality in her mind. 7 years of this now and dangerous behaviour with alcoholic episodes have endanged herself me and the kids. Its come as far as social services being involved with them recommending I leave her and take the kids... .I need help I feel as tho I am all alone in the world constantly bombarded by someone's delusions and distorted reality... .is there hope for me to maybe even just deal with this better and not take her harsh threats so personally?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »

Hi Endofmyrope86,

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to the site. I completely understand how confusing and distressing it feels when you're in a r/s with a pwBPD without external support. You're in the right place, you'll see that you fit right in here, many of us can relate with you and offer you guidance and support. How's your support network in real life? Do you spend time away from your pwBPD doing your own activities and spending time with family and friends.

You are right, a pwBPD will give you feedback that is mostly negative about yourself, that's a distortion like you said. It helps to also surround yourself with people that will give you a more balanced perspective about yourself, like family and friends and people on this board. This is a place where there is no judgement or invalidation, something that we often receive from a pwBPD.

Its come as far as social services being involved with them recommending I leave her and take the kids... .

Really? They told you this, I wonder if the person is from an older generation, I don't think that I would advise to leave your kids behind, what if you went to court and wanted to get custody of the kids, how would that look like when the abandons the family. It would be an uphill battle for you, you have just as many rights as mom has, this is a new generation.

is there hope for me to maybe even just deal with this better and not take her harsh threats so personally?

Absolutely there is hope, I can recall walking on eggshells with my uBPDex, feeling and anxious and emotionally distressed. A part of learning how to cope with a pwBPD is to learn as much as you can about the disorder, once you learn and are familiar with how the disorder works, you'll realize that the behaviors are not intentional, the person doesn't have control of them, that doesn't mean that absolves the person, because they still have a responsibility to get help for themselves, even if they have a mental illness.

I'll suggest a book for your you Margalis Fjelstad's PhD book Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist it's targeted at the non in a r/s with a pwBPD, we have a review of the book here It's a good read, she describes a r/s with a pwBPD very well, she's realistic about our roles in the r/s, you have to be emotionally strong, set boundaries etc... and gives you strategies with coping, self care etc... You can also find the lessons on the right side of the board  Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) Welcome to the family, you're not alone. 

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest