Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 04:28:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could a BPD fake schizophrenia?  (Read 387 times)
toomanydogs

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living Apart

« on: June 26, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »

Hi!
My husband's psychiatrist diagnosed him in 2010 with possible schizophrenia, more probable schizoaffective disorder (combination of schizophrenia & mood disorder).

In 2010, he was briefly confined to the university hospital near here, who believed he was faking the schizophrenia. I am, for several reasons I don't have time to go into right now, believing the hospital as opposed to the psychiatrist.

There have been too many incidences where he behaves as if he's reading from a text book. He will say, "I have thought insertion." "That's Dave standing over there. Do you see him?" (there's no one there).

He has also maintained that he has dissociative identity disorder and has told me he "needs to dissociate." I was friends with a woman once who truly had DID, and that is not how she pulled up an alter.

So my question: Could he be faking? Which would mean for ten years, I've fallen for it. Wow.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
Sunfl0wer
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:27:22 AM »

Whether a person has schizophrenia, DID, or something else, it certainly is not going to present just like the next person who has that diagnosis.

There is no reliable way for folks here online to diagnose him, of course.

Is faking it possible? Sure, I think so
Faking it for many years?  Sure, I think so

Some folks sense of reality is not clear.  Doesn't mean they are lying, it could just mean they believe things and percieve things differently than others.

Also is possible that the diagnosis of schizophrenia has him relating to schizophrenia and thinking he has it.

It is also possible, that there could be SOME mental illness going on.  It sounds like you are describing a man who's behaviors have gone outside of the norm to the extent of needing outside help.  So maybe he has a mental illness, just maybe the label to give it is not clear?

Could be more helpful to focus on the symptoms rather than the label... .just a thought.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
floydgg
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »

With my 21 years as an LCSW, and 10 more as "just" and MSSW, I agree with everything Sunfl0wer said, above. I agree that a BPD could possibly fake schizophrenia or Schizoaffective disorder. I think that only some of them, not all of them, could effectively do that. In other words, I think it is possible, but somewhat unlikely. Just another clinical director' opinion.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest