Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 02:53:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationship all but over  (Read 489 times)
RomanticFool

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 28, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »

Well folks,

Those of you familiar with my story will no doubt be pleased to hear that my r/s with my married lover is all but over.

After my ex's suicide attempt a few weeks ago, I reinstated her on my Facebook, more out of compassion than a desire to recycle. Since then we have been on cordial terms. I think it is enough for her to feel some kind of contact/connection with me.

The main thing is there is calm between us and that has got to be better than bitter texting and suicide attempts. My own pain was somewhat short circuited by the shock of having her blame me for the suicide attempt.

There was a half hearted attempt by her at daily texting, which I did not encourage. In other words I left it to her to contact me, when in the past I was always the one driving it.  This lasted for two days. Since then there has been intermittent contact but not at weekends.

She stated at the beginning of the reconnection that she was waiting for me to turn into the 'monster' again. By that she meant making demands on her and trying to force a meeting. I have done exactly the opposite. Whenever she texts me I have been very polite and asked after her well being. There has been no mention of love or a relationship or anything.

How do I feel about it? I hate it. I have always imbued this woman with such a great deal of love and passion but that is now entirely absent. I believe this is what she must want - a cordial connection which for her is safe and manageable. It is the very thing that I tried to avoid at all costs throughout the r/s. I guess now I am having to be entirely selfless due to her mental health.

Nothing has changed regarding my marriage. We tick along as normal and my wife is happy and content. Putting my own feelings aside for a moment, this is probably the best outcome. There is no drama, no recrimination and no psychological destruction.

It is interesting because I still feel the addictive pull towards my ex and there is a strong desire to act out. I don't miss the abusive texting but I miss the ideal I created in my head about her but shattered 4 months ago when I walked away.

I don't know how she feels about anything really. She never gave much away even at the height of the r/s. I did try to broach the subject of whether she told her therapist the reason why she tried to take her own life. She replied: 'Enough - I don't have to tell anybody my reasons.' So I left it there and that was the last time I asked her about it. Since then there has just been, 'How are you?' etc. Of course she is her usual depressive self. I have not tried to psychoanalyse her as I would have done in the past. I have simply been polite and let her be.

I feel sad about the whole situation but at least she is on an even keel (as far as I know) and if she isn't then I have given her no reason to quarrel with me. Not that it would have any affect on her blaming tendencies but at least I am not acting out and aggravating the situation.

It has been 4 months since I walked away. I am sad but no longer devastated. Time heals everything. Time to get on my own life and stop allowing her to occupy my whole existence.

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »

When you say "all but over" do you mean that you won't engage her even if she starts to pursue you?

Or do you just mean she appears to be losing interest given how little you are engaging with her now?
RomanticFool

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »

I mean that there is no interest in pursuing a r/s on either side. Although she did send a photo of herself with her daughter the other day. She says that she needs to 'trust me' again. That smacks to me of projection. To be honest, I am still not convinced the whole suicide attempt is even true. I walked away because her ST and blocking me on her phone was making me suspicious. I told her this and she told me that it was a matter of life and death to her not to engage when feeling stressed.

She forgets that when she blocked me it was because she accused me of having an affair based on a music video I left for her on FB. So that isn't really to do with me stressing her out.

She went to see her daughter the other day and said it was the first time she had been out all year. Well she was with me five months ago for a weekend, so that isn't true.

It's all a moot point really because I am behaving as if the suicide attempt was real and being very careful what I say to her. I have just been polite to her and asked after her well being. If it was a genuine suicide attempt then by trusting me she means that I won't kick her off FB and walk away. I told her I was in terrible emotional pain when I walked away.

It has been suggested to me on here that perhaps she doesn't have BPD at all and just suffers from depression. It is hard for me to understand why she shows absolutely no interest in my emotional state at all if she hasn't got BPD. That is not normal behaviour and it is one of the things that started making me mistrust her. Others have said on here that it is not the job of the affair partner to show that kind of love and care but I disagree with that because in the past she did care about how I was. Also before mistrust took ahold of me, I was very attentive towards her emotional well being. I stopped being so caring when I felt it was all one sided.

If I have learnt one thing on here, apart from the futility of having an affair, it is that no matter what I may suspect, I cannot be berating her all the time. I am most likely wrong about her for a start, but really I have no right to demand love and affection from a married woman. I made the mistake of taking to heart everything she told me when the r/s was at its height. I know I cannot rely on her or any words of love she spoke to me as some kind of love contract.

It is enough that I know she is alright. We don't communicate at weekends. We don't say goodnight. I feel detached from her. If she has any ideas of recycling the r/s then she is not going about it in a way that would make me want to reengage. The whole thing has been so traumatic that I feel very differently towards her. To put it in blunt terms, I don't know whether she is just a fragile woman with serious mental health issues or whether BPD is a factor and there is manipulation and lying too. I don't think I will ever know for sure. But as I've said before, it doesn't much matter. I have taken a decision to treat her with empathy and assume she is telling the truth.

Perhaps I'm the biggest fool on the planet but at least I'm keeping my side of the street clean and I don't have to feel guilty about cheating on my wife anymore. That much is a relief.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »

How do I feel about it? I hate it. I have always imbued this woman with such a great deal of love and passion but that is now entirely absent. I believe this is what she must want - a cordial connection which for her is safe and manageable. It is the very thing that I tried to avoid at all costs throughout the r/s. I guess now I am having to be entirely selfless due to her mental health.

If you take her at her word... .

1. she doesn't want to have two serious relationships simultaneously - a decision that has many complex components to it that includes and goes beyond just the two of you. This is not what you want, but relationships tend to be paced by the least committed partner.

2. she doesn't want to x you out of her life after 14 years - she still wants to be in a relationship, just not a sexual one - she still cares about you.

As for blaming you for  the suicide, it might be better to understand what she is experincing, rather than react to the words.  Suicide attempts happen at peaked episodes in a depressed persons life. The depression has them standing near the edge - it doesn't take much to push them over. 

When she said that your actions played a role, she is really saying that something you did or something about the situation was part of the crisis in her mind the day she made her attempt. Depending on how close to the edge she was, it could have been something that would not seem so threatening to make a suicide attempt or it could have been really significant. It's also possible that there was more than one thing driving her actions that day. She may have said the same to her husband.

The point is, there is depressive thinking, cognitive distortions, involved in suicide that neither her or you will be able to analyze and understand. So I wouldn't take it so personally - even though it is personal. And the message I would take away is that she is in a difficult place and its best not to pressure her in anyway.

This is hard to swallow.

Intellectually, you both know it is the moral and emotional health high ground. She was in the affair for unhealthy reasons. You were in it for unhealthy reasons. It was not headed to a heathy place - more likely it was headed to a more unheathy place.

Maybe its time to embrace the good part of the affair, embrace that it ended with no divorces and not injuries, and move to the next chapter.

The biggest challenge, I think, is not to embrace an unhealthy coping mechanism right now.

RomanticFool

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

Excerpt
If you take her at her word... .1. she doesn't want to have two serious relationships simultaneously - a decision that has many complex components to it that includes and goes beyond just the two of you. This is not what you want, but relationships tend to be paced by the least committed partner.

2. she doesn't want to x you out of her life after 14 years - she still wants to be in a relationship, just not a sexual one - she still cares about you.

This is very very hard for me to accept. Her behaviour certainly  suggests that she doesn't want a serious r/s with me. I am not sure that she doesn't want a sexual r/s. I think she wants an easy r/s. However, those two things are almost impossible to achieve simultaneously. A sexual r/s by definition involves commitment and strong emotions. For me anyway.I do know that she cares about me, but that in itself makes it very difficult to accept even less than I had before.

Excerpt
As for blaming you for  the suicide, it might be better to understand what she is experincing, rather than react to the words.  Suicide attempts happen at peaked episodes in a depressed persons life. The depression has them standing near the edge - it doesn't take much to push them over.  

When she said that your actions played a role, she is really saying that something you did or something about the situation was part of the crisis in her mind the day she made her attempt. Depending on how close to the edge she was, it could have been something that would not seem so threatening to make a suicide attempt or it could have been really significant. It's also possible that there was more than one thing driving her actions that day. She may have said the same to her husband.

The point is, there is depressive thinking, cognitive distortions, involved in suicide that neither her or you will be able to analyze and understand. So I wouldn't take it so personally - even though it is personal.

Funnily enough, intellectually I don't take it personally. I know it couldn't have been me that pushed her over the edge because we weren't talking. I think what did it was feeling lonely. Yes, I am responsible for adding to her feelings around loneliness and abandonment but I don't feel responsible.

Emotionally, I feel more responsible. She is a woman I love and I wasn't there for her when she needed me. On that level I do feel some responsibility.

I know her depression rules her life. I understand intellectually that pressuring her over these years has added to the pressure she feels which has exacerbated her depression. I understand that. It has been very difficult for me to stop the behaviour because it was being fuelled by addictive desire. Being in contact and not seeing her has been intolerable emotionally but I have tried to act like a grown up around this, no matter how painful.

I don't understand what drove her to it other than loneliness. She blames me because I wasn't there for her but she has no understanding at all of the reasons why I walked away - nor does she care much. I told her the other day that I was emotionally distraught at the time I walked away and I got it into my head that she was lying to me. She asked me whether I believed her now about not seeing somebody else. I replied that I did because I didn't think she would have tried to take her own life if she had someone else. She said she could never understand why I thought she had somebody else. I told her it was because of the silences and blocking me. She maintains that she will do that to everybody when she is in a bad place. I find that difficult to accept.

Excerpt
And the message I would take away is that she is in a difficult place and its best not to pressure her in anyway.

This is hard to swallow.

She said exactly that to me on Thursday 'don't push' when I asked her what I thought was an innocent question ie ':)o you have any plans to come to London.' She replied that she has to get her trust back. Not sure what she mistrusts me about other than walking away. The irony being that she does it all the time to me and feels justified. I did it once and she tried to kill herself. It is very hard to swallow.

Excerpt
Intellectually, you both know it is the moral and emotional health high ground. She was in the affair for unhealthy reasons. You were in it for unhealthy reasons. It was not headed to a heathy place - more likely it was headed to a more unheathy place.

When it was at its height it felt anything but unhealthy to me. It felt like I had met my soulmate. That is why it is so bloody hard to let go. I feel an inner emptiness and huge sense of loss not being with her. I had a lovely day with my wife today but the emptiness and desire for the ex will not go. I am actually pissed off that she dragged me into this whole suicide thing because had she let me go I would now be healing and perhaps my r/s with my wife would be further on.  I can't help feeling betrayed, controlled and manipulated by her. She has got what she probably has always wanted: a r/s on her terms and to dip in and out with no commitment whatsoever. I have accepted it at the moment out of compassion for her mental health but in normal life when one person wants something that the other person cannot give, then you break up. I bit the bullet and tried to do that and I have been pulled back into what I consider to be an even worse situation.

Excerpt
Maybe its time to embrace the good part of the affair, embrace that it ended with no divorces and not injuries, and move to the next chapter.

I don't think it was ever going to end in that way because we both behaved honourably around each other's partners (apart from one time when she was drunk). Having said that, one never knows in life and I am grateful that my wife wasn't hurt by the affair. The only thing she has told me about her husband and what he found out regarding the texts is that they don't talk about it and it is the 'elephant in the room.'

Excerpt
The biggest challenge, I think, is not to embrace an unhealthy coping mechanism right now.

I am behaving very well towards her and not berating her or giving her a hard time about anything. Nothing about the situation as it currently stands feels healthy for me. In fact the healthiest thing for me to do is walk away.

I have always said that the way I feel/felt towards her was real love for me. Had she felt like she wanted to make a commitment to me then we would now be together. It would have been painful all around to end our marriages but for her I would have done that. I now feel annoyed at her that she strung me along and made me believe this affair meant more to her than it probably did. Even though she never said she would leave her husband, telling me how much she loved me in order to keep me onside has been very damaging. For my part I have been a fool. Had I not been so embroiled emotionally, I would have been able to see her actions for exactly what they were: the actions of a woman who does not want to break up her family or change her circumstances. I feel that the love has gone sour and I no longer want her in my life - certainly not as just a friend. She wants to remain connected because it only ever meant what it means to her now. Having somebody to make her feel better without commitment.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest