Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:14:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here - I have a BPD ex-husband and co-parent  (Read 573 times)
Minerva1980
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 24, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »

Hi,

I'm recently divorced, with two young kids and an ex-husband who shows clear signs of Borderline Personality Disorder. He was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about 15 years ago, before we met, but has since gone off his medication and dismissed the idea that he has any mental illness. He can be a very loving and responsible dad, so we agreed to share custody 50/50. However, his illness makes him unreliable and unpredictable, which makes co-parenting very difficult--even maddening at times. The biggest issue for me is that he was emotionally abusive in our relationship and I'm afraid he will do the same to our kids.

I joined bpdfamily to hear from other people who have had similar experiences, both for my own emotional benefit and to get tips and insight on how to deal with my ex and raise my kids as well as possible.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:20:44 AM »

Hi Minerva1980,

Is there a legal custody order filed? How old are your kids and how are they handling things this far?

Hard to say at this point without more of your story,  but parallel parenting is an option:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=239558

If you choose to go this route, it's best not to communicate that you are doing so.  If there is a custody order,  of course follow that,  but there is leeway to do what you want to do on your own time,  usually.  It's hard to navigate this is the beginning though.  I hope we can be of support. 

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
momtara

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »

I'm in a similar situation - mentally ill ex-husband, young kids. He worries me sometimes. I don't post much these days but feel free to message me if you need help or support.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »

The biggest issue for me is that he was emotionally abusive in our relationship and I'm afraid he will do the same to our kids.

How old are the kids?

Do they have a good relationship with their dad?

There are relationship skills that you can use to support them, and ones you can teach them. It's helpful that there is a diagnosis, so you can be a little more straightforward with them -- to make sure they understand the behaviors belong to their dad, and are not their fault.

Is your ex spending 50 percent of the time with the kids? My ex (also bipolar/BPD) fought for equal time and then gave it away at the drop of a hat.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest