Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chaos, rage and control  (Read 384 times)
Letloverule

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 17, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »

last weekend was a stressful time for millions of people. i was one of the households that was impacted by the massive hurricane that Was on every news channel.
when we realized that preparations for a natural disaster were required- everything went into disarray with my SOwBPD. she went overboard buying things and making lists etc. I felt like I was constantly trying to catch up with her Machine like pace. I felt very appreciative of what she was doing. But I started getting raged at for not doing enough to pull my weight.
when the storm looked like it was headed straight towards where we live, I naturally had a lot of anxiety. when I shared my feelings with my SO, I got yelled at for putting that burden on her- especially because I was "doing nothing substantial" to help. I was at a loss because she would do everything first. when she would ask for help (like boarding up our house), i would "move too slow" or "make things 10 times harder". she said that I would be the reason if all of us died.
we were extremely lucky that the storm didn't hit us directly, we didn't get any flooding or wind damage. we did lose electricity for 5 days.
the loss of power got my SO extremely irritable and i felt bashed in waves.
she said that this experience was a defining moment of our relationship: I would sit around and let her do everything treat her like a slave not be a partner.
I did not feel like I had a partner either. And I felt like I was not allowed the right to ask for what I needed. I felt verbally and emotionally abused and couldn't even leave the house.
The days since the storm passed have also been stressful. my SO has had such a short fuse if anything was out of place or if i did not complete chores when she expected them. Just a few minutes ago, she got angry because I chose to give the dog affection, did not start the dishwasher and did not start the dryer. she left the house and I'm now just sitting here.
I feel so worn out. I'm not sure what I'm asking for here- I just wanted to let this out.
Thanks
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jessica84

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »

I am glad you are safe! 

Wish I had some wisdom to offer, but I had the exact opposite experience here in Houston during Harvey. My BPDbf was the calmest and happiest I've seen him all year! He didn't complain once. He was out there rescuing people on boats - So helpful to those he saved and so polite and sweet when he came home! Super attentive, kind, thoughtful, reassuring.

Now that the storm has passed is another story. I think he misses the chaos...

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »

Letloverule,

Welcome

I'm glad to hear that your safe and that must of been a very scary ordeal to go through, hopefully once in a lifetime.

Excerpt
she said that this experience was a defining moment of our relationship: I would sit around and let her do everything treat her like a slave not be a partner.
I did not feel like I had a partner either. And I felt like I was not allowed the right to ask for what I needed. I felt verbally and emotionally abused and couldn't even leave the house.

It would be interesting to talk about that in therapy, I'm not suggested that you go, how is a natural disaster a defining moment in a r/s? It's an extremely stressful experience to go through and stress / anxiety makes the BPD symptoms worse, unfortunately you had more stress on top of an emotionally distressing experience.

Thanks for sharing with us, it helps to talk.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »

Hi Letloverule,

So glad you are safe!

I think of chaotic situations the same way I think of holidays for pwBPD. They are times when they are out of control of things. With a hurricane, she may have been very scared. Her way of coping was to begin frantically and quickly begin preparing.

I'd suggest that although your partner is pointing at your behavior, you might try looking at what her behavior is telling you about how she feels and then validate those feelings and then pointing out some truths to her.

For example next time she brings up your "Lack of helping" the convo could go something like this:

"I'm sorry that you were so worried about the hurricane causing us harm. It was very scary and I was scared too. Thank you so much for handling so much of the preparation. I hope you know that our family's safety is very important to me too. Maybe we could begin preparing for next time by making a list of what needs done and dividing up who will do what so we can both equally help with preparation?"

Or something like that. The main point is to validate, show her that you see what she did, and then make a plan for going forward. Can you try practicing a conversation here:

To help you here is a link to our workshop on validating.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest