Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am now doing extreme things that I later hate myself for,  (Read 367 times)
BPD_Anon
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 20, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

Just joining the board, I'm immersed in a lot of extreme emotions often from my wife (perhaps half of my days), has been going on for about 4 years.

I've already pretty much given up all of my friends and hobbies, as there is no room for them in my life most of the time (this has been discussed with her and we want to change it... .but haven't got there yet).

In the last 6 months I've noticed myself developing more and more triggers, where I am now doing extreme things that I later hate myself for, as I can't find ways to cope when I am overwhelmed.  I am frequently quite exhausted and my work is starting to suffer.

Most of the time that I feel overwhelmed recently, I have tried to find a quiet space to calm down but she follows me and can't stop engaging with me (screaming, pounding on and pushing in doors I am behind, running down the street to chase me if I try to get out of the house, etc.)

Anyway, here I am.  I hope I can find something worthwhile here to improve the quality of life for me and my family (there is a child at home, about to be 4).
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ironman85

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »

Just joining the board, I'm immersed in a lot of extreme emotions often from my wife (perhaps half of my days), has been going on for about 4 years.

I've already pretty much given up all of my friends and hobbies, as there is no room for them in my life most of the time (this has been discussed with her and we want to change it... .but haven't got there yet).

In the last 6 months I've noticed myself developing more and more triggers, where I am now doing extreme things that I later hate myself for, as I can't find ways to cope when I am overwhelmed.  I am frequently quite exhausted and my work is starting to suffer.

Most of the time that I feel overwhelmed recently, I have tried to find a quiet space to calm down but she follows me and can't stop engaging with me (screaming, pounding on and pushing in doors I am behind, running down the street to chase me if I try to get out of the house, etc.)

Anyway, here I am.  I hope I can find something worthwhile here to improve the quality of life for me and my family (there is a child at home, about to be 4).

You have come to the right place, I have been here a few days and have already found a few supportive people who have reached out. I almost feel like I dont deserve the commendations after being told I am unworthy.

I know all to well losing friends and shutting them out and giving up hobbies to devote more time to my now ex wife. its what they do, alienate you until youre basically their zombie (kinda like what Dahmer would try to do).

What are the things your doing that you have a hard time with?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:47 PM »

hi BPD_Anon, id like to join Ironman85 and say Welcome

i know the feeling. taking a time out when arguments are getting carried away is often a good idea; there were a lot of times when i knew my partner and i were at the end of our rope and only making things worse, and id exit the conversation, and shed run out of steam, wed both get back to baseline and then talk productively. sometimes this was impossible, either because id act on my triggers, or she would escalate. sometimes it just made her feel shutdown, and as a consequence, worse.

there is a lot to be learned from the lessons directly to the right of the board on this matter. there is a line that is necessary to walk between taking a time out when necessary, using the communication tools to head off a fight, understanding your partner and why she reacts the way she does, and in particular, you will learn about extinction bursts: sometimes our reactions to conflict, long term, are a good strategy, but our partners tend to react strongly to newly implemented methods and up the ante in the short term.

Excerpt
I've already pretty much given up all of my friends and hobbies, as there is no room for them in my life most of the time

what has prompted this? is it the amount of time devoted to your relationship, pressure from your wife, depression, a combination, none of the above?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »

Hello BPD_Anon,

Welcome to bpdfamily, I think all of us can share loosing ourselves against the extreme types of behaviours you describe from your wife.

Finding a space for yourself to reduce your feelings of being triggered is crucial to improving your emotional well-being. We can help you with that here, sometimes though when we change what we do in order to protect ourselves from conflict the behaviours from our SO can worsen.

I'm aware of the fact that you have a three year old at home, how do your wife's extreme emotional outbursts effect her ability to parent? How is your child in all of this?

What extreme things have you find yourself doing in response to your wife's behaviours?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest