Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:23:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Her latest tantrum  (Read 866 times)
Dragon72

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 27, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »

Our son's coming up to his 4th birthday. We are living paycheck to paycheck at the moment and with a recent increase in our car repayments and son's kindergarten fees we're struggling to even break even.

Nevertheless, my (uBPD) wife wants a $1,000+ party for him in a rented playcenter. I said no.

And I am very proud of myself for putting my foot down and saying no. He can have a nice party with aunts, uncles and cousins here at home instead.

She said she would borrow money from her family to do the big party. I said no. We wouldn't be able to pay it back. She argued that we could pay her family back in December out of my end-of-year bonus. I said no, we would need that money for other things.  Like her health insurance and if possible savings.

She then went on to try to manipulate me emotionally by making me feel bad for depriving our poor son of this experience.  Still I said no, we just don't have the money for it.

She said I wasn't listening to her. I empathised, I said I share her concern and said it would be lovely to be able to give our son the very best, but the reality is that we just don't have thousands to spend on that sort of thing and that's really sad.

She then went on to demand explanations for where all my salary has been going, even though whenever I have tried to show her my spreadsheet that details my spending down to the last cent, she says and continues to say that "Anybody can manipulate a spreadsheet". 

She then accused me of siphoning off money to send to my family who are overseas.  I said that I wouldn't engage in the discussion if she continued to make outrageous accusations and I left the room.  24 hours of silent treatment later (including not responding to things like "Good morning" or "would you like a glass of water?" she packed a bag and announced that she and our son were leaving to go stay at another house we have in a neighboring city "for a few days".

I'm grateful for the space and tranquillity at home.  I feel temporarily liberated!  I am worried though that this argument about money, which has happened before, will just keep coming back and back and back.  There's a part of me that wants to go to her brother in law (so from her family) who is an accountant and say to him, "Audit me and go back to her and show her not only that I am honest, but that we can't afford all the stuff she wants to spend money on".  But that would be a waste of JADEing time and effort, right?

I'm sick of this nonsense.  I do everything I can to be the best possible husband and dad and all I get is distrust, suspicion and pure hate.  This is no marriage.
Juan Pablo

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »

I can relate to this so much. My BPDw would constantly want to argue about budget and spending. I keep a spreadsheet as well and know where every cent goes. She would accuse me of manipulating the numbers. Constantly accused of secretly sending money to ex wife.  I finally gave up trying to talk household finances with her because it just led to fights and crazy making.
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »

Hey Dragon72, I admire you for saying No and sticking to it.  It's hard to hold one's ground when a pwBPD starts manipulating through guilt trips or other arm-twisting strategies.  Yet you remained firm, which to me is a healthy sign.  Keep up the good work!  I'm sorry that you find yourself in such a stressful situation and understand your frustration.  I was married to a pwBPD for 16 years, so I get it.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »

If there is any reason a 4 year old "needs" a lavish $1000+ birthday party, please enlighten me. If that's what parents want to do and they can afford it, then that is there choice but it isn't something a 4 year old needs. They are just as happy with cake and ice cream and a backyard or playroom at home.

But you know it isn't about him. It's about her feelings and all this discussion back and forth with reasons and logic doesn't help as feelings are not based on reasoning or logic. You can see how this is going in circles with her accusations and temptation to JADE.

The only answer to this is : we can not afford it.  

Good for you for sticking to your principles. Yes, it is hard. But if there are not boundaries now, it won't get easier. After this, he will "need" costly private school, fancy clothes, car, prestigious college. Fine if you have the money,but not a necessity. There are happy and educated people who had cake and ice cream birthdays at home, and who went to public schools and colleges.

Dragon72

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

I think she is reacting so strongly on this issue for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, although she rarely talks about her childhood, I suspect that she herself was not given much affection, love and attention.  She's Mexican and grew up with 7 siblings (4 older, 3 younger), so it must have been hard to fight for the attention of a mother who I gather was pretty authoritarian.  She still addresses her parents using "Usted", which is a very formal, respectful and (I think) a little distant way of addressing someone in Spanish.

Secondly, our son goes to a private school, albeit one in which I am a teacher and so we get a huge reduction in the fees. It is in the top 10 schools in the country, and so the parents of our son's classmates are the ultra wealthy and of very high status (inlcuding CEOs and TV stars).  I think my wife is feeling inferior when all her new "friends" are splashing the cash around.

Either way, it's all very well trying to understand the root of the problem, but I don't know how to handle its consequences which are her strong reactions. Still, I'm glad I didn't let her talk me into yet another big expense like she did last year with a new car (status symbol), which has put us in a tight financial position for the next 3 years.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

The audit is a good idea... .but by a brother in law is horrible.

Leave family out of it.

Reflect for a bit.  Is it about the audit... .or is it about getting family "on your side". 

If the audit matters... .get it.  If it is about getting people on your side, I would do some thinking about why that matters to you.

Solid work on standing ground on finances.  Focus on the numbers... they don't lie.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

but I don't know how to handle its consequences which are her strong reactions. 

The key is that you don't "handle them".  Let her do that... .

I realize this can be tough... .some things are fixable. 

Out of curiosity ... .can the car deal be undone without her signature? 

It's one thing to have a one time victory over a party (not downplaying that at all... .) but it is another thing to change financial "structure" over a multi-year period.

I'm discussing this with my 17 year old at the moment.  He has his eye on first car... .he works hard for his money... .I'm trying to train him to use spreadsheet to evaluate long term structure... .especially compared to his stated goals. 

Anyway... .hang in there... .and again... .solid work!

FF

Dragon72

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »

FF, I think it matters to me that it's family because I know her family is very important to her and they are people she trusts and listens to, much more than she trusts or listens to me.
Therefore if she is presented with facts about me from a trusted source, rather than an independent one which I "may have bribed" (I live in Mexico - where everyone is corruptible - after all), she may believe it more.

But I'm forgetting.  For her, it's nothing about the facts. It's all about the feelings, which I can do nothing about.
Notwendy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »

The reactions are tough, but think about them. They are the result of not being able to handle emotions like disappointment. You've probably seen this in your four year old, but you know the right thing to do is not give in to his tantrums and let him learn how to manage his feelings. As hard as this is, your wife needs to learn this too. She doesn't know this yet, but giving in to her tantrums won't let her learn it- they will reinforce the behavior.

It is great that you understand where she is coming from, but you can't fix this by spending money that you don't have. It's also great that you can give your son an excellent education, but this will come with peer pressure. Your job is to help him understand that superficial things don't matter when compared to character. You are his role model for that as well as teaching him fiscal responsibilities. His mother may not be able to do that, so that is up to you.
Dragon72

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »

I guess one of my biggest fears is what she might do to retaliate.  I know how good she is at gaslighting, she can very well influence others into thinking that I am doing bad things.

I worry about this partly because, as a person with codependent traits, I have been hardwired to worry about others' opinion of me.

But also, and importantly, I want out of this relationship and be free of her, but I fear that she may retaliate by damaging my reputation as a father and teacher - who are very vulnerable to accusations of impropriety whether they are true or entirely falsified.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »

FF, I think it matters to me that it's family because I know her family is very important to her and they are people she trusts and listens to, much more than she trusts or listens to me.
Therefore if she is presented with facts about me from a trusted source, rather than an independent one which I "may have bribed" (I live in Mexico - where everyone is corruptible - after all), she may believe it more.

But I'm forgetting.  For her, it's nothing about the facts. It's all about the feelings, which I can do nothing about.

I spent a lot of time in central america... .so... .I know all too well about "flexibility" of opinions... .and how much you "encourage" them.

I was government type (military).  I remember being in a certain country and was having a meeting about some big projects ... .some others remarked at how lucky we were to be in the "least corrupt" country in the area. 

It was true... .and very telling... .

So... .just understand it can be complicated involving family.  You have good reasons.

Perhaps directly ask her before talking to the brother in law.

FF

Lucky Jim

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »

Excerpt
I guess one of my biggest fears is what she might do to retaliate.  I know how good she is at gaslighting, she can very well influence others into thinking that I am doing bad things.

Hey Dragon, I think that is a realistic fear for anyone involved with a pwBPD, sad to say.  It sort of runs with the territory because, if they feel wronged, they don't hesitate to disparage others due to their black and white thinking.  On the other hand, not everyone falls for their gas lighting and exaggerations.  The fear you describe is a factor to be weighed as you formulate your plan, but maybe not the most important factor, which I submit is your happiness.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »

Hi Dragon,

A while ago LivenLearned here helped me understand something about my pwBPD.   She said it so well I want to try and repeat it verbatim.

LivenLearned taught me that there was no way I could under estimate the depth of shame and self loathing some one with BPD feels.   pwBPD cannot self soothe like some one who learned to emotionally regulate so he/she seeks others ways to get her needs met.   These are not garden variety needs, they are core to her sense of self.   In order to get her needs met she has to keep a lot of balls in the air so that the shame does not surface and overwhelm her.   We all do this to some extent.   people with BPD do it to excess because of the intensity of their feelings and impulsivity of their actions.   the behaviors can feel very personal and often they are much more primitive in the sense that she is trying to survive the catastrophe of not feeling whole.

This made a lot of sense to me.   Especially the part about garden variety needs.   what I experienced was that the wants and needs of my partner were about defining my partners sense of self.   In my partners case it was, "if you give me a present and a card once a week I will experience the sense of being loved."   I am guessing in for you it's "if I hold a huge party for my son I am the best mother ever'.

Excerpt
There's a part of me that wants to go to her brother in law (so from her family) who is an accountant and say to him, "Audit me and go back to her and show her not only that I am honest, but that we can't afford all the stuff she wants to spend money on".  But that would be a waste of JADEing time and effort, right?

yes it would be JADEing.    You won't be able to prove or convince her of the financial facts because as you said:

Excerpt
 For her, it's nothing about the facts. It's all about the feelings, which I can do nothing about.

what I experienced as peace and quiet my partner often experienced as emptiness and void.   and she rushed to fill up the void.    Not having a stable sense of self, she created a sense of self by what she experienced.   by the events in her life.   and even by her possessions. 

I think that's why you often read stories here about the pwBPD who must have the bigger ring, the bigger house,  the fancier car, the next baby.   in the perceptions of a pwBPD all feelings come from external sources... and if they can control the external sources they can control their feelings.

Excerpt
I worry about this partly because, as a person with codependent traits, I have been hardwired to worry about others' opinion of me.

resist the urge to catastrophize.   yes bad things may happen but they are not happening right now.   if you act to 'pre-empt' them you are giving way to subtle but effective manipulation.    never a good idea.   if you don't act on something to avoid potential consequences that's also a subtle manipulation.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Notwendy

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 04:32:28 AM »

This is a great understanding- about their needs not being ordinary needs but their belief that what they want is essential to their sense of self. Saying "no" takes away this feeling of theirs.

The unfortunate part is that, when we fulfill the need, it doesn't stick. If sending a card and present every week could have made your partner feel loved- if that was the solution, we'd all gladly do it.

My impression of this is that, this poor sense of self is internal, but it is projected on to something else- the want- in the moment, but since the object of the want isn't the source of this problem, it also isn't the solution. It may work on a temporary level, but then there seems to be another "want" after that, and another, and another.

If we need to protect family finances, we need to say no. Sadly in the moment, that no is translated by their thinking into an attack, a no to their person - not the object but a rejection. It may help to keep in mind though, that saying "yes" isn't the solution to their inner pain. It may be a temporary fix, but in the long run, doesn't solve it and neither does getting into financial trouble.

Dragon72

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »

Another factor that may be influencing my wife's recent behaviour is that we have just experienced here in Mexico City a pretty traumatic event: the recent 9/19/17 earthquake. 

It shook us hard, damaged property and forced the school where I work to close for the forseeable future while they repair damaged structures, but thank goodness none of us, our family or close friends was hurt or left homeless like so many in this city have been, even in our neighborhood.  i have been helping with the disaster relief effort and have been amazed by the way this country has pulled together after such an awful thing.

My wife was a teenager in the 1985 quake that left tens of thousands dead here and so I think she must have been traumatized more than me as a foreigner with what we went through 10 days ago.

Maybe she's wanting to squeeze as much into our son's life as possible in the knowledge that lives can be devatated in seconds. That combined with a touch of post traumatic stress.  She hasn't said as much. Just a thought.
Dragon72

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »

Well she came back earlier than expected after just over 24 hours away.

She's been pretty monosyllabic but has not been openly hostile, aggressive or ragey. She's still emitting a vibe that's more "I hate your guts" than "I love you" but that's been increasingly the case since "I do".

She spent a good deal of the afternoon looking at pictures of celebs and royals on the internet while I played with our son. Then I went our for an hour-long run. When I came back she was still looking at princesses on the computer, so I took our son to the kitchen an got him to help me make pita breads as a mini baking project and for his supper.

Meanwhile, she went up to our son's room, which she has turned into her little studio apartment complete with TV as a place to avoid me in when I'm around.

I had supper with our son with the food we made together. She declined the offer to join us. And in fact she seemed to get offended when she saw an empty plate at her place which was there in case she wanted to join us.

As ever she's gone to bed with our son at 7pm, leaving me on my own to spend the evening in my own company. Silver lining: the remote is mine! All mine!

Such is our marriage.  I have begged her in the past to spend more time just with me and to try to bond a bit more, but her reaction was just to turn it around and onto me by saying, " You made me like this".

I can't bear this depressing situation for much longer.
Notwendy

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 06:20:58 AM »

It can be entertaining to look at the lives of celebrities. If this is one way your wife distracts herself from her feelings, I don't think that's a bad thing. It's not harming anyone, and if the cost of a few magazines helps take her mind off things, that seems OK. Although the ST is hard to take, and you don't like her staying in your son's room instead of being with you- this may also be the way she deals with her bad feelings. It may not feel good to you to see her upset that your son isn't getting an expensive birthday party, but she feels what she feels. You don't have to fix her feelings for her. Maybe she needs this-some time distracting herself with celebrities and some time without you to calm down. This may be more about her than you. Let her self soothe.

Dragon72

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 07:20:27 AM »

Thanks notwendy, but this is a long term pattern of behaviour. 
I don't begrudge anybody wanting to look at celebrities. What I begrudge is her not wanting to interact with me, ever.
That s been the level of social intimacy between us since the birth of our son 4 years ago.
Sure, people should be able to sulk after an argument, I totally agree, but to act like she hates me, the person she married, for four years is not something I can put up with for much longer.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »

There are several issues going on here.

It's important to keep them separate while at the same time realizing there is a connection.

Big picture:  Your wife wants to dance the same dance.  You are dancing differently.  (dance being metaphor for the r/s).

I would pick a date that you started dancing differently as a time frame from which to "measure" success, failure... .or somewhere in between.

Once she realizes that her "dance" isn't working for her anymore... .she may try to change it.  Hopefully that will be towards a healthier r/s with you and your son.

What date are you going to pick as when you started doing boundaries? 

So... .how long has she been living in your sons room?  It sounds like 4 years.  Do I have this right?

FF

Dragon72

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »

I'm not really sure I understand what you're suggesting, ff.
She started sleeping with our son from the day he was born and hasn't left his bedroom (except for brief stints) since.
October 2013 is the month when I lost my wife.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »

When did you start saying no to you wife about money?

Start using boundaries? 

Start using tools from bpdfamily?

I'm trying to get a sense of how long you have been changing "your part" of the relationship. 

FF

Dragon72

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

I have only really in the past few months been making an effort to care less about what she thinks and to put some importance onto my needs and opinions. 

Before, I just did everything I could to appease her and avert her anger.  I came to the realization that keeping her happy was a) impossible and b) meant that I was always giving up a part of my soul.

Denying her the party was, I guess, my biggest "no" to date.

As for applying the site's methods, I have been inconsistent in that since I started lurking here over 2 years ago now. 

I find it hard to validate her emotions when she's flying into a rage about something petty or even imagined or when I have been simply doing my best to do right by my family. 

I find it hard not to JADE when I feel its important that people know the truth.

I find it hard to know what boundaries are reasonable and stick to them when she's using emotional manipulation techniques that make me feel I'm being unreasonable.
Notwendy

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »

Clearly, this pattern is greater than just one issue.  I think we have the tendency to look at these things in the context of one issue at a time, and explain it - by this issue- the earthquake, the expensive birthday party- which in a sense puts each issue into an explainable event. But each event is influenced by the underlying disorder in the partners- BPD. co-dependency, etc, and the events seem to be a cycle- want, appeasement, and then again.

Where this gets muddy is the resentments- no you can't afford to do the birthday party, but in addition, if you did do it, you would feel resentful. When you give in - appease, you hope for something to change- make this better, but it doesn't.

If you have changed your approach recently, it doesn't make things better in the short run. Both you and your wife have a certain set of relationship skills that you use repeatedly. She's learned that sulking or pitching a fit has learned to get her what she wants. When faced with not having what she wants- she is going to use the skills she has. Everyone would do this. But after trying several times, she may learn that it doesn't work- she needs to do something else, whatever that is.

You are also breaking patterns by saying "no". This isn't comfortable. Learning something new isn't comfortable. It's like someone handed you a violin for the first time and you are playing on stage. It's not going to be comfortable and you may not do it well. But with practice- you can learn new relationship skills and get better at them.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 06:51:54 AM »

Just so you know... .validation is for "pre-dysregulation".  Once someone gets worked up... .validation is unlikely to "bring them down".

Best to use boundaries... .protect yourself and "not add fuel to the fire".  Let it burn itself out.

I hope you realize that by "appeasing" that you are actually training her to be "worse".  The other parts of what you said are true and valid as well, but... .IMO... .the biggest thing you are doing is "showing" her how to get what she wants.

Good job trying some new stuff. 

Do you think you can work on being more consistent?

FF

Dragon72

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »

I think what I'm finally and painfully beginning to realize is that no matter what I do, she will never give me what i want from a relationship: reciprocal affection, intimacy, companionship, collaboration and mutual respect. 

No matter how much I do to try to make her happy or to avoid her getting angry, she'll never truly be happy and will only demand more.

And equally, no matter how much I stick to my principles and self-worth by applying boundaries to protect myself and my values, she will still not change and give me what I need from a relationship.

The appease option is lose-lose.  We're both unhappy.
The boundaries option is lose-lose but with small wins for my self-respect.  We're both unhappy, but I feel slightly better about myself.
Better the option with the small victories, I guess.

They say the cycle is idealization-devaluation-discard.  I am actually really looking forward to the discard.  But as she's a SAHM with no personal income, that will probably be a long time coming.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »

I disagree... .100% with what you just said.

Big breath... .

Listen... .she "may" never give you what you want/need.  I can guarantee you that appease is loose-loose

If you "demand" respect from boundaries... .she may give it... eventually, to get what she wants.

Don't underestimate the power of their quest to fill a hole that can't be filled (by someone on the outside)

Thoughts?  Can you reflect back what you just read... in your words.  It's a critical concept... .very big picture.
FF

Lucky Jim

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 10:52:09 AM »

Excerpt
No matter how much I do to try to make her happy or to avoid her getting angry, she'll never truly be happy and will only demand more.

Hey Dragon, It may be true that someone suffering from BPD is rarely happy or even content for long, yet I would suggest that it's not your job to take responsibility for a pwBPD's happiness or contentment.  In other words, it's not about how much you do or try to do for your pwBPD; rather, it's about taking responsibility for your own happiness and finding your own path through the BPD forest.  Does this make sense?

LuckyJim

George Bernard Shaw
Dragon72

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »

So it was our son's birthday on Wednesday.  He was so excited to get his presents.  I love him so much I could burst.

I managed to win the battle over the $1,000 party and was rescued by the Deus Ex Machina of the news that her parents will be coming next weekend to spend the winter in their house a mile from here (they normally live in California (USA) but spend most winters here).  This means that a big family party will be thrown next weekend in honour of our son's b'day, my wife's sister's b'day and the in-laws return.

So I took wife and son to a kid-friendly restaurant on his birthday using up almost the last of my half of my wage packet until the 15th. Although I will get the chance to pick up literally a few $ more from private lessons over the next week or two but not much.  With these concerns on my mind and having spent quite a bit in the restaurant, we went to the supermarket to buy a birthday cake to take home for that evening.  Mrs. D took the opportunity to toss into the shopping basket an expensive face cream.  "Who's going to pay for that?" I asked.  "My dear husband" was her reply so that the check out girl could hear. 

I bought it but then went on to explain that I was concerned that my money (as opposed to the money I gave her) that I was paid on payday was fast running out.  She looked shocked and demanded to know where it's all gone.  School fees, electricity bill, weekly grocery shopping, birthday presents for our son, gas for her car, restaurant, face cream.  I told her I can show her penny for penny if she wants.   "No I don't want to see!" she raged back.

A few minutes later, in the car, she starts.  "I want you to know that I would never, ever, take money from you or our family!", she shouted.  What the heck?  Was she accusing me of stealing my money?  Was such a strong denial in the absence of an accusation about her a subconscious admission of her own guilt?  Who knows?

A few minutes later she said, "I have never said this to you before, but I'm going to say it to you now.  If you ever take your wife and son out for a meal, never, ever, complain about what you spent."  Hearing her say that made me think that there's nothing that I could say to her in reply that would make any difference so I just kept schtum.

My interpretation is that she was feeling a little bit guilty for the face cream and the only way she knew to handle it was to attack and project shame away from her and onto me.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »

Excerpt
My interpretation is that she was feeling a little bit guilty for the face cream and the only way she knew to handle it was to attack and project shame away from her and onto me.

That's probably pretty accurate, Dragon.  BTW, I like your subject line about her latest "tantrum," because tantrum implies a childish inability to control one's emotions, which is similar to what happens when a pwBPD is triggered.

LJ

George Bernard Shaw
Dragon72

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

Yesterday I was at home as I have been every day since the earthquake as my school remains shut awaiting repairs and the all-clear to return.  My wife spent the day shopping for a piƱata for Jr.'s birthday party. 

When she got back I suggested that Jr. take a bath because he hadn't had one for a couple of days. Our son has a cough and a cold at the moment and she thinks that if he has a bath or a shower then being cold will make it worse.  Nevertheless she agreed.

I'm the one who normally has to go into the shower with Jr and help him get clean, so I did so as I have done hundreds of times before.  I washed him all over with a soapy sponge. Our son winced a bit when I wiped his buttcrack as I think he has a little rash down there from not having had a bath in a few days and probably not cleaning his bottom well enough after going to the bathroom.

After the shower, I handed him over to my wife to get him into his PJs. 

A few minutes later, my wife came to me and asked in a very accusatory way for an explanation of why I had hurt our son's bottom.  It seems that our son said that Daddy hurt his bottom and she jumped to the conclusion that I had done something altogether more serious and sinister.  I explained what had happened when I was washing him.  She said, "Oh damn of course, you washed him! So there's no evidence."  I said, ":)on't be ridiculous.  If you think that i would every do anything to harm him, you can get out now".  She hasn't spoken to me since, but to be fair, she hasn't tried to keep our son away from me.

But to think I am married to a person who thinks that I am doing unthinkable things to his own son makes me realise that she has zero trust and a massive dis-trust of me in everything, not only money.  What's the point of a marriage with zero trust?

It also made me realise that she could very easily start throwing completely baseless accusations around about me and make life very difficult indeed.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest