Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:01:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I enabling my brother like I enabled my former partner?  (Read 356 times)
Wolfsocks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 18, 2018, 04:05:30 AM »

My twin doesn't have BPD. He actually helped me move out when I split up with my partner in autumn. We rented an apartment together in a different city. He had been apartment hunting for a while (he doesn't have a stable income) and it was sort of a win-win situation for us: I found a a place to stay and move my furniture to. He had someone with a stream of steady income to co-rent the apartment with. We have been living together since November and I have come to doubt this arrangement. I think I might be enabling him like I have enabled my former partner.

He has horrible self-discipline and has been working on a new job for months in a very half-assed way. His sleep-wake-rhythm is completely messed up. He goes to bed in the middle of the night and gets up around noon. Sometimes he cooks in the middle of the night and wakes me up in the process. The kitchen is usually a mess and I have to clean the dishes before I can cook anything. I had to pay for the furniture in his room because he is broke most of the time.

I know I have to adress these issues but I find it very hard. I am so angry at him because he is treating me like that - because he thinks I will put up with all of this. And... .I am.

I am sure he doesn't have BPD but I don't want to slip into a new situation where I am compensating for somebody else's failures. The fact that he is my twin makes it double hard.

Do you have any advice for me? I would much appreciate it.
Lucky Jim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »

Hey Wolfsocks, If you're like most of us Nons, you may have difficulty setting boundaries.  That's OK --  It just means you have more work to do.  See Tools button (above).  One's lack of boundaries can really be a problem in a BPD r/s.  Did you find that to be an issue in your r/s with your BPD partner?  If so, you're not alone.  It seems like this is an ongoing issue in your current living situation with your brother.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 05:50:59 AM »

Hi Wolfsocks,

I’m not sure you are enabling him; it sounds to me like you have very different lifestyles. I’d certainly feel frustrated if it were me.

Is this behavior new to you? Do you think if he weren’t living with you that his behavior would be different?

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Insom

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »

Hi, Wolfsocks!

Excerpt
I am sure he doesn't have BPD but I don't want to slip into a new situation where I am compensating for somebody else's failures. The fact that he is my twin makes it double hard.

It sounds like you're feeling responsible for how your twin is behaving and that it's raised some questions about your role in your former relationship.  I can relate to what it feels like to feel like the responsible one.

How are things going this week?  Have you addressed any of the issues that are bothering you?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest