Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 05, 2024, 02:27:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just woke up  (Read 1445 times)
engineer

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »

Well I really put this into practice last night.

She said, out of the blue: ":)id you know there is an election today?" I said "Nope" and she launched into a torrent of personal attacks ranging all the way from ridiculous to monumentally ridiculous, then declared that America is stupid, everything about it is stupid, it's a third-world country pretending to be part of the western world, she feels lost and out of place and she doesn't belong here.

I sat and listened and when she was all the way done I finally spoke up and told her I understood how she felt... .and let her be for a minute.  Then she came back and restated her point like a rational human being so I could *actually* understand how she felt, and then thanked me for being kind to her and told me she was sorry all night. (i can't stop her once she gets into sorry sorry sorry mode -- no amount of acceptance/forgiveness/anything will make her feel like the apology has been accepted, but I did at least score a hit by saying "you are allowed to have feelings -- it's ok!".  Then she ordered a subscription to the local paper and said the problem is that she isn't keeping up with the news and hasn't made any effort to integrate into the culture here.  Now this is the actual truth.  I'm at my wits end just trying to get her to leave the apartment.  I have tried everything I know how to do to get her to open her eyes and look around but she just completely refuses.

She's happy this morning.  We will see what happens later in the day.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »

From her point of view, something minor happens, she responds lovingly, and I react as if she had just spewed venom and hatred at me Smiling (click to insert in post)

This is very insightful!  For you and everyone else. 

This sort of points to the core of "the issue" with a PD.  They are so skewed that they likely really do think that they are "normal and loving" and that others are the ones "off".

Keep this in mind as you formulate your responses.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »

I sat and listened and when she was all the way done I finally spoke up and told her I understood how she felt... .and let her be for a minute.  

but I did at least score a hit by saying "you are allowed to have feelings -- it's ok!".  

I like what I read here.  There was some pragmatism and some not taking it personally (it appears) which allowed you to "detach" and formulate a response that was based on what she needs, versus how offended you were by her flaemthrowering you.

You also keep the "main point" front and center.  The main point being that she has feelings and they are ok.  (keep in mind the nuance for the future that her feelings and how she expresses them are different)

Big picture:  if you can help her calm enough she may start to realize and think about the difference in her feelings and how she expresses her feelings.  This is not something to push... .just be ready in the future, if this comes up.

FF

RolandOfEld

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 07:39:39 PM »

Hi engineer, it's good to hear from you.

Just wanted to say you have made a really tremendous effort in terms of improving your communication and validation skills. Impressive work! 

It's been about 2.5 months since you first joined us on here I think. How would you rate your overall situation now compared to then? What are the biggest changes you've seen and what do you hope can change next?

All the best,
~ROE

engineer

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »

Hi engineer, it's good to hear from you.

Just wanted to say you have made a really tremendous effort in terms of improving your communication and validation skills. Impressive work! 

It's been about 2.5 months since you first joined us on here I think. How would you rate your overall situation now compared to then? What are the biggest changes you've seen and what do you hope can change next?

All the best,
~ROE

Thank you Smiling (click to insert in post)  I have learned a lot here!

There is one thing that has changed that I think has been pivotal... .My oversensitivity and thin-skinned-ness in the face of her "flamethrowerings" (I like that) is uncharacteristic.  I have, historically, been very, very thick-skinned.  Having to deal with her sent me to a counselor, and ultimately to a doctor.  I found out last year that my blood pressure was through the roof and was prescribed a beta blocker.  That changed my responses to my wife.  I was no longer in constant cowering-in-the-corner mode, but I still wasn't handing her well.  This past Monday I went back to the doctor and found out I very likely have a pituitary tumor that is causing out of control cortisol (the stress hormone) production.  She put me on a different medication to control things a bit better.  I feel, to some extent, like I am me again.  I am finding it *much* easier to remain calm in the face of her attacks.  Before, it was like my brain just switched off as soon as she went on the offensive.

So, NOW, I can really apply all the things I have learned here.  My brain remains engaged when I am talking to her, and I can actually remember what to do.

Anyway, so the plan for the moment is to be consistently supportive of her feelings and way of emotional expression.  She needs to feel "safe" with me.  I have known for a long time that she needed this, but I seemed to be unable to do it when I was already at the cortisol redline.  She has mentioned many times that her emotions are more intense because she did not feel like she could share them with me.  I trust her to know herself enough to be telling the truth here.

Speaking of which... .I've noticed some interesting things when she tells me about past relationships.  She never in her life had a relationship as close as ours (she had never lived with a man before), so her BPD was not as likely to be triggered in the past, but she has told me stories that suggest she displayed BPD traits when she was young.  I read a bit about it, and it seems BPD traits come out at their strongest during adolescence and perimenopause.  Well, just my luck, she is in the latter of these now.  She often notes that her emotions are being fueled hormonally, and blames her perimeopausal state for heightened emotional sensitivity.  I think this is probably very true.  I think she definitely has BPD traits, but I think they are being magnified at the moment.

Heh, so I am not depending on her to move to the next stage of menopause to solve these problems, but if I get a handle on them now it means that things will be in really good shape once she moves past her current stage.
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »

Staff only

Hi there - I noticed this has a lot of pages/responses, and the policy is to lock a thread from new responses when it gets past 59 posts (sorry, just noticed it) but we certainly encourage the conversation to continue on a new thread.  I think the issue is it gets too long to display properly for mobile users.

So please feel free to keep "talking", you'll just need to move it to a new post.

Thanks!

Isilme

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest