Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 12:28:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She's switched back into being 'nice' and 'wanting to make it work'  (Read 554 times)
Numbers321

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »

So, my uBPDW has repeatedly told me to 'get out'.

She's also told me, when asked in a lucid moment, that she thinks I'm too responsible to do it (because of our little boy). Tells me she didn't really mean it.

She's switched back into being 'nice' and 'wanting to make it work'. This means toning down obviously wrong behaviour while keeping up a constant stream of self pitying comments. She basically expects me to fall in love with her again and wipe the slate clean if she doesn't flip out for 2 days.

Then, in 'nice' mode, when she doesn't get her way throws emotional wobblers. Tells me I should just go again.

I feel bad because she has me nailed - I don't know if I am 'too responsible' to leave.

I don't know how to feel about these 'get out' comments. I know they're abusive because they're designed to undermine my feeling of security. But how far to take them literally? How far to let them go as dysregulated venting? How far should I take them as a sign she'll follow through when she feels it's to her advantage? How seriously can I take her commitment to 'making it work' when I'm sure that 'just go' is one awkward conversation away?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:50:25 PM »

Hi Numbers321,

Excerpt
I don't know how to feel about these 'get out' comments. I know they're abusive because they're designed to undermine my feeling of security.

I can relate with your post with the push / pull it’s crazy making behaviour. In the context of BPD a pwBPD fear abandonment it’s like kryptonite and a pwBPD expect that everyone in their lives will eventually leave them and will test and push those boundaries to see if you’re actually going to leave them. I think that these get out comments are tests to see if you’re to leave her.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
RolandOfEld

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »

Hi Numbers321, that sounds like a really frustrating situation, and one I know too well.

One time my wife called me a dog and demanded I move out instantly. Unaware of BPD then, I said goodbye to my then 1.5 yr old boy and did it, transferring her most of my money and setting myself up in a dingy Airbnb. The next morning she texted me and asked me to come back.

I don't follow up on threats anymore. Now its if she wants to separate, I insist she takes the responsibility and move herself out and I'm glad to take care of the kids alone. She always says yes and then never does it.  

Seconding Mutt that this may just be a test.

As to whether she'll follow through on threats, what's her history / pattern on this? Has she ever followed through on anything she said while dysregulating?

~ROE

pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »

Hi Numbers321,

As a veteran of the breakup threat, a weary veteran I might add, this is something you have to find a way to get under control one way or another. The longer this goes on the longer it will damage you in ways you can't even fathom... .I'm telling ya, I think this is literally one of the worst things I've ever experienced in my life... .You can't have a normal life, a healthy relationship with reality, or with your partner, if your partner speaks in this way.

How long have you been together? How do you feel about the relationship overall? Are there other issues that are making things extremely difficult? It takes a serious plan to find your way through this... .my heart goes out to you!

warmly, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Numbers321

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »

Hi folks. Good to know I'm not alone, but sorry that you understand.

I'm coming round to the 'being tested' theory. Buuuut, it doesn't make it feel any better. It's a test that destroys the sample, which in this case is our relationship. How can I trust this person to be a partner for my time on earth?

We've been together more than a decade. It's like there's a pattern that gets stronger on each repetition: excessive criticism, blaming, gaslighting. If I'd been more switched on when I was younger I'd have spotted it and acted. I'm a nerdy kind of guy and just didn't really reflect hard enough on this dimension of my life until I realised how difficult it was. I always accepted her explanation that all couples argue, that it was normal etc. until I realised it had gone further.

I followed through a couple of years ago when she told me to not bother coming home. Then, after what I now think of as a 'love bomb', we got back together as I thought I'd got through to her. Turns out I hadn't really as the behaviour started to return after our son was conceived. It's only then I looked into BPD as it had become clear this wasn't something that could be resolved with negotiation.

Feel like the only thing here for me now is my boy. She realises that, so the whole situation is pretty grim. Must be triggering for her. I can't take responsibility for that though, as it's been her actions that have undermined my feelings for her.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest