Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:21:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife with BPD that refuses to seek help  (Read 385 times)
Interj910
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 23, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »

In a 13 year relationship with 2 kids that has never really been good. Have been doing the BPD dance since the first night of marriage. Verbal and emotional abuse, violent outbursts that involve smashed mirrors, pictures, holes in walls and doors etc. Blames me for all of it, immediately switches to crying and hitting herself talking about how she is such a terrible person. Have been in couples therapy for 6 months, no improvement, therapist tells me I need to establish boundaries and that any one of the instances that happen several times a week would be grounds for ending the relationship and I need to take care of myself. Despite all this I love her and want her to get better, she refuses to get help despite my and our marriage counselors prodding. Says she isn’t going to fix herself for me. Says I only want the good parts of the relationship and don’t love her unconditionally, basically if you can’t take me at my worst, you don’t deserve my best. Confused, scared, and don’t know what to do.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

NGU

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together since 2011. Married since 2013.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »

Hi Interj910.

You are painting quite a grim, complex picture.

So you've been in this relationship for 13 years. Other than therapy not working out too well for you, is there anything else going on recently that brought you here?

You mentioned that you're confused and scared. It's OK to feel that way, and it's not surprising. There are many resources here that can help. To get you started... .Is there any one trait she has, or conflict you're having, that is the hardest for you?

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

-ngu

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 06:07:07 PM »

Hi InterJ910,

Welcome
I’d like to join NGU and welcome you to bpdfamily. I can understand how it would feel scary and hopeless if she refuses to change. My gf says the same thing if you can’t handke at my worst then you don’t deserve my best she’s a non adding unconditional love to that sounds like she’s trying to bust your boundaries. There is hope, you’re not alone, check other discussions you’ll see a lot of similarities with your story.

We can’t change someone else what we can do is change ourselves once that you change everything changes. I’d like to echo NGU what are some of the big issues in the r/s?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest