Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for freedom from guilt  (Read 374 times)
mettagirl
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »

Mom has undiagnosed BPD. I have spent a lifetime trying to prop her up from feeling alone, ashamed, unloved, disrespected, etc.  Yet she continues to see everyone is against her.
I am tired. Trying to separate and feeling the push and pull inside of guilt of abandoning her and the need for sanity.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »

You have come to the right place, as there are many people on this site who are/have been asking the same kind of questions you are about how to deal with the guilt of abandoning your mother and/or limiting your contact with her while recognizing your need for a separate more balanced life. My mother has BPD and it hurts to no end not being able to meet her unreasonable demands and inability to see me as a separate person from her; yet for my own sanity, I have to do everything I can to not let her guilt me into taking care of her while ignoring my well being. It is a long hard yet worthwhile process to take time to separate your feelings from the guilt feelings your mother regularly inflicts on you. You will find freedom from the guilt. Can you tell us more about the relationship you have with your mother? Are you living at home or nearby? How are you different from your mother? Keep us posted on how you are doing. We are here to support you and to listen.

Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »

Hi mettagirl and welcome to the board!  As zachira said, many of us can relate to the push and pull of guilt.    Having a pwBPD (person with BPD) in your life can be exhausting mentally and emotionally. 

Are you familiar with the BPD behaviors that can be so troublesome in a relationship?  We have lots of resources I can refer you to if you want to learn about BPD.  I don't mention so that you can help your mom, as you really can't, but understanding the behaviors and how most of the time she isn't really seeing you can make a huge difference in terms of taking on guilt and responsibility for helping her.  Knowledge helps depersonalize the behavior, sort of external it so that you can work on detaching from the Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt

How are you with boundaries?  Have you tried them?

I din't want to keep hitting you with questions so I am going to stop here.  Just know we have lots of articles we can refer you to as you post more of your story. 

Again, welcome to the board.  This is a great place to share with people who get it and can offer support and understanding as you try to work out a healthier way of interacting with your mother.  I can be difficult but it can be done.  You don't have to do it alone.

Take care.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Learning2Thrive

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »

Welcome mettagirl! 

You’ve been given some good ideas and info already. I’m looking forward to learning more of your story. Until then, here’s a bit of info that might be helpful:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=108307#msg1064891
Learning2Thrive

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »

Hi mettagirl,

How are you doing? I hope you’ll pop in and update us when you feel like it. We’re here to listen and support you. We really do get what you’re going through.

Take good care of you,

L2T
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest