Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:18:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tearing family apart  (Read 633 times)
Cuz
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: July 14, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »

My nephew’s wife has targeted her mother-in-law (my twin sister), refusing to let her be with or have any connection to, her only grandchild. This has been so since the baby was born, 1 year ago. Daughter-in-law sets up all sorts of hurdles when my sister has tried to speak with her about it. This estrangement has now expanded to include anyone on “our” side of the family because, nephew’s wife says “I am trying to avoid more drama with X”(my sister). There has never been an issue that would warrant any of this. My nephew seems to have “drunk the Kool-Aid”, will send pictures of the baby but that’s it. The situation is breaking our hearts and nobody knows what to do.
Venetian

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »

I just heard about Alienated Grandparents Anonymous.com.   I don't know if it will help, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »

I am so sorry your family is going through such a terrible time. There is hope for the future though. My cousin married a woman who alienated him from the entire family. They got divorced after several years, and he reunited with the family. All of this can take time, and in the meantime there is so much heartbreak and pain. I am glad to hear you are supporting your twin sister, and are there to listen. Keep us posted on how you are doing and let us know how we can help.

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:59:32 PM »

Hi Cuz.  Welcome to the site.  I am so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here.  Unfortunately your story is not uncommon here. 

Has your nephew's wife been diagnosed with BPD?  What other behaviors does she exhibit (though isolating your nephew and gran-nephew(?) is bad enough)?  What happened to have her say “I am trying to avoid more drama with X”?  Was there an incident?

Having a relationship with a pwBPD (person with BPD) or even BPD-traits is difficult.  Often the emotional dysregulation they experience as a part of the disorder makes them process information differently.  Things we would normally say are often interpreted by the pwBPD as invalidating.  This can really 'set off' very defensive and self-protective behavior.  Often, talking with someone with BPD involves going against your natural inclinations.  We do have communication tools that can help you/your sister learn how to converse better.  They will not guarantee no conflict but can often reduce conflict or de-escalate someone. 

Let me know if you are interested in learning about the tools.  We also have other articles that can help explain some of her behavior and also understand what it is like for your nephew.  I can link you to that or you can check out the library section of the site.  We also have several members dealing with an in-law with BPD so read the posts on the board if you haven't already.

We really do get it here and have helped several people learn to cope with the difficulties of their situations.  You are in the right place to get help.  You may want to suggest your sister join as well.

Take care

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Learning2Thrive

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 12:31:18 PM »

Cuz, how are you doing? Have things settled down a little bit yet? We’re here to listen and help you with proven resources when you’re ready. 

L2T
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest