Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 30, 2024, 05:05:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving therapy a try... but...  (Read 869 times)
Ozzie101
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 29, 2018, 10:14:05 AM »

I bit the bullet yesterday. I did a little looking online and found a therapist who specializes in BPD. She offers free hour-long consultations and had an opening for tomorrow morning so I went ahead and booked it. I don't know if it will be helpful but I feel like it will. I've done therapy before (during a difficult period a decade ago) and really benefited from it. I think just having an unbiased, experienced person to talk to face-to-face will be good for me.

The problem is, my uBPDh is VERY against talk therapy. Thinks it's all a scam. And he has told me several times he would be very upset with me for doing it, feeling I was trashing him and sharing our business with a stranger. So, I feel very torn. I haven't told him about this and I can't think of any reason he would know about it. It may just be the one time. But if it goes on, I feel like I'll probably have to tell him I'm going to start therapy. I know it will NOT go over well and that scares me. Yet, I feel like this is something I really need to do for me so I can try to find ways to make our relationship healthier. Being out of the loop is a big trigger for him. If he does find out and learns I didn't tell him, my lying to him will set him off like a rocket.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or advice on how to handle it?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »

I feel like this is something I really need to do for me so I can try to find ways to make our relationship healthier.

i do feel that not making that choice, out of fear of his reaction, would be to walk on eggshells. it isnt going against your word, or some agreement between the two of you. still, its a difficult choice to make, no doubt.

likewise, i agree its not something you want to hide or be secretive about. privacy is one thing, secrecy hurts relationships.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or advice on how to handle it?

are you leaning more toward mentioning it in passing, or having a deeper talk about it?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 02:41:35 PM »

are you leaning more toward mentioning it in passing, or having a deeper talk about it?

Right now, I'm thinking that I go to the consultation without saying anything. If I think it's something I want to continue, I'll tell him in a calmer moment for a deeper discussion.

If he's not dysregulating tonight, I'll mention the consult. If not, and if it goes nowhere, I'll just keep it to myself. I know secrecy is bad and it has gotten me in trouble before, but if he's in a mood, I'm too tired at this point to open myself up to what could be a major episode.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »

I kept my therapy a secret from my wife for several months, but she eventually found out.  She reacted poorly.  But while the secrecy didn't help, I think even if I'd been open about it she would still have exerted a tremendous amount of pressure on me to stop.

I think you're on the right track; telling him eventually, but I'd be willing to fudge on the timing for two reasons -- first, it may go nowhere, and second, you're in a vulnerable place trying to start therapy and you're more likely to be able to succeed in starting and keeping therapy if you've got a good bond with your therapist before you tell him.

But perhaps my inclination to say do therapy for two months or so to get a bond with your therapist and then tell him is not the best way.  I know that sometimes I used secrecy as a shortcut for my inability to maintain boundaries with my wife.  What do you think?  Are you inclined to tell him as soon as you decide to do therapy regularly?  That seems like a safe bet integrity-wise.

One thing I'm sure of is that thinking through how to tell him, what tools to use, etc. is something that you could do with us here, and we can support you as you cope with any pushback from him.

RC
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »

i think not mentioning the consult is reasonable... .its not exactly the same, but if you were considering divorce and consulted an attorney to see about options, it probably wouldnt be wise or necessary to mention. but if you were going to act on an option, obviously it would come up. therapy is a big life change, of the sort that a husband or even long term boyfriend would need to know, like a doctor.

Yet, I feel like this is something I really need to do for me so I can try to find ways to make our relationship healthier.

i like this approach, with an emphasis on you, your health, your life. if he feels like youre going there to talk about him, you can imagine where it will go.

what do you think?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »

Radcliff and Once, that's kind of what I was thinking. My going will upset him. My keeping it a secret will upset him. Lying and secrecy are big triggers for him. So, I'd be more inclined to tell him -- once I knew it was something I wanted to pursue. I just won't mention the initial consult. I'll see how it goes this morning, then think about it and brainstorm a bit here. A lot of his initial response will depend on his mood. He may be receptive. But even if he accepts it, I have a feeling it will be a bone of contention in a dysregulation.

I'm just starting to feel scared. Yesterday afternoon he was in a pouty mood. Then, it went away and he was his old self. It reminded me of why I love him and would hate to lose him.

I sometimes feel so guilty. He's done so much for me. Loved me, supported me in so many ways. Yet I haven't made him feel loved and supported in return. I feel like that must be my fault. A deficiency.

Yet I think about some of the things that have happened and I feel like he's emotionally and verbally abusive. I remember him yelling at me that it's all my fault. That I'm an idiot. Making me agree with him. Telling me to write a list of all the ways I'd screwed up and failed him. I felt awful and meekly went along. I've been stronger lately. But when I reflect, it scares me that I didn't see, in the moment, what was happening.

I love him like crazy and believe he's a good man. Yet I fear I may be walking down a road I've heard about many times. I'm afraid I'll get so far along I won't be able to see the way out.
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »

I had my therapy appointment and I think it went really well. She was easy to talk to, seemed knowledgeable and was sympathetic. A lot of things she said were things that meshed well with things I've read here and in SWoE. Anyway, she agreed with me that it's very, very likely he has BPD.

She said the best way for things to get better would be for him to get therapy himself -- gave me a couple of names and numbers (she doesn't take his insurance and only sees women). Just in case I can convince him to do it.

She also told me that she can help give me tools to use and advice and support. But that I need to really do some soul searching and lay out some boundaries on what I will tolerate, for how long, where my lines in the sand are. Things y'all have mentioned before.

The violent outbursts (which have lessened lately) and the verbal abuse were things she was concerned about. I got the impression that she thinks it's very possible it will escalate and I should have some sort of plan in place.

So. A lot of thinking to do.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »

Hi Ozzie.  I am glad your session went well and you were comfortable with her.  That is a big thing when it comes to being able to get through therapy.

Are you aware that we have an article on setting up a safety plan?  It is true that sometimes the aggression can escalate and the best time to prepare for that is before it starts happening.  An escalation is aggression is not just about the frequency of the events but the severity.  I say that out of an abundance of caution. 

Did you set up another appointment?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »

I didn't set one up -- yet. I need to decide if I want to continue. I feel like I want to but at the same time, I know if I do I'll have to tell him and I know he won't like it. It will be a difficult conversation and I have to mentally prepare for that.

I'll check out the article on safety plans, thanks!
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 02:42:26 PM »

she thinks it's very possible it will escalate and I should have some sort of plan in place.

this is wise advice. it is possible/likely given what youve shared about not only his thoughts on therapy, but his style in general, that he would see therapy as a betrayal. understanding that perspective is one thing (its far from reasonable but not purely irrational) but the fallout may be hard to manage.

sometimes the healthy decisions for ourselves have consequences that are very difficult. with a strong support system, you can navigate.

any thoughts as to whether you intend to follow up/continue?

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »

I would really like to. I just need to really figure out how to handle it.

And I need to do some very hard thinking about boundaries and what I need and want. I may need some time apart to do that but I don't know how to manage that without provoking a crisis. I may have an opportunity a month from now but that's a ways away at this point.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »

Let me add an alternative opinion here.  I don't think you have to tell him about the therapist.  Agreed, there's a decent chance he'll find out eventually, so it may be best to tell him for the reasons we discussed.  But I believe there are times when someone may not want to tell their partner about a therapist.  For example, if someone is working through issues of childhood abuse, and they aren't ready to tell their partner, I'd believe they should still feel free to go to therapy.  Another example is domestic violence.  Abusers feel a need to control their partners, and are fearful of any support their partner may receive, and often systematically try to isolate the survivor from sources of support (friends, family, therapist, etc.).

It sounds like you liked the therapist?  It seems like she is aware of BPD, and getting you oriented towards setting boundaries, which is exactly where you need to go if you are in an abusive relationship.  Her support could be pivotal for you.  Only you can make the decision, but my hope is for you to be able to obtain all the support you need.

When I was struggling to understand what was going on in my marriage, I wasn't sure what was abuse and what was simply unhealthy.  I found this very useful graphic called the  Relationship Spectrum that illustrates the differences between healthy, unhealthy, and abusive behavior.  Take a look.  What things in your relationship fall in the "unhealthy" column?   What things in your relationship fall in the "abuse" column?

RC

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »

I see things in our relationship that fall under unhealthy and under abusive -- though that's really when he's dysregulating. It's very complicated, as I'm sure most relationships are. And some unhealthy behaviors are ones I engage in myself. I can readily admit that. I share some blame.

I don't want to blame everything on his BPD but honestly, a lot of my unhealthy behaviors come as a reaction to him. Hiding things for fear of setting him off, etc.

Last night he was talking about he's been feeling more and more depressed and seemed more open to the idea of therapy. I told him how there are different types and another type (like DBT may work). I didn't mention BPD but was tempted. He said he wishes someone could just tell him why he is a certain way. Anyway, if he's in that open mind again, I may gently broach the subject -- carefully and sensitively.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »

For me, looking at that list was a great help in validating that I should not be experiencing what I was experiencing and I needed to start to protect myself from those behaviors.  I felt conflicted about identifying my wife as an abuser, because I loved her and understood that she had a mental illness, and I've met others who felt the same way.  The way to think that helped me is that it doesn't matter whether we give a label to the person who's doing the abusive things.  What matters is the impact on us.  We need to figure out how to protect ourselves from the abuse with things like boundaries.  (This doesn't mean that we ought to expect to become relationship wizards who can fix any situation; sometimes leaving for a few minutes, a few hours, or longer is necessary if emotional or physical safety are an issue).  When I came here, I was so unable to establish boundaries and so weakened and frazzled by my situation, it felt like the elders here were speaking Greek to me.  That was about 18 months ago.  It takes time to make changes, and honestly it's scary at times, but at some point the fear of allowing things to continue as they are eclipses the fear of finding a healthier path.

Yet I think about some of the things that have happened and I feel like he's emotionally and verbally abusive. I remember him yelling at me that it's all my fault. That I'm an idiot. Making me agree with him. Telling me to write a list of all the ways I'd screwed up and failed him. I felt awful and meekly went along. I've been stronger lately. But when I reflect, it scares me that I didn't see, in the moment, what was happening.

This is the part that raised my concern to a more serious level.  Without support and a healthy response to improve things, incidents like this will continue to harm you and weaken your remaining defenses and sense of self.

I love him like crazy and believe he's a good man. Yet I fear I may be walking down a road I've heard about many times. I'm afraid I'll get so far along I won't be able to see the way out.

The fact that you are aware of this danger is a huge asset to you.  Awareness is the first step.  Action is the next.  The most critical thing is for you to not become isolated.  You need sources of support outside of the relationship.  Can you list five sources of support, counting us here as one?  All of the sources need not be fully "in the know" about what is going on -- some could be a friend or a social or activity group that gives you strength and energy.

RC

p.s.  That's great that he may be open to getting some help.  I would definitely not introduce the topic of BPD to him.  To us, having an explanation is a relief, but pwBPD so often feel shamed and react badly to partners mentioning it that we never recommend it.  Mentioning DBT is fine if you think you have an opening.  You can even emphasize that it's skills training and de-emphasize the therapy aspect of it.  I think you would find it valuable to look at this page on how to get a borderline into therapy.
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »

Thank you for the advice. I held off on mentioning BPD to him -- not sure how he'd respond. The fact that he was talking about how he wished he had an answer for why he is this way was what tempted me. And the therapist I saw said some people feel relief with diagnosis. I'll keep encouraging DBT. I have a couple of names of therapists who specialize in it.

I do have support. Aside from this board, I have my family (large), my best friend from high school (a guy, so that's sometimes a source of conflict, though he's asexual and lives 3 hours away),my former boss and her husband (who have said I can stay with them any time). There's also my church but I have to be careful there since he works there. I couldn't go to clergy but other members, yes.

It is hard. In some ways he's been so good to me and I know he loves me. But I do have to protect myself.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »

I'm glad you have support!  That is a big protective factor for you.  Keep investing to keep those relationships active so you don't get isolated.

Yes, some people feel relief with diagnosis, but many (most?) don't so better to let someone like a therapist take that risk than you.  I think just learning that other people have these challenges and that a special type of skills training has been developed to allow them to take charge of things and make improvements might bring some relief.

With respect to improving your own circumstances, for what situation would you most like to have better boundaries?  What is causing you the most pain, where if you could figure out a way to protect yourself it would give you the biggest payback in terms of peace of mind, reducing wear and tear on you, etc.?

RC
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »

I'll definitely focus on the DBT. Bringing up BPD is just too risky, I think. If he does go to a therapist and she does diagnose it, I'll just need to be careful and keep my mouth shut. Again, if he thinks I knew it was a possibility and said nothing, it will trigger him big-time.

It's very hard for me to figure out which is the most painful. There are so many.
1) His issues with my family. It's at a point where, really, there's nothing they can do right. Some of them (two of my sisters) are constantly in the black. He "hates" them. Always will. My parents, though, he goes back and forth on. One minute he likes them just fine. The next, they'll do or say something that triggers him and brings up every previous slight -- perceived or imagined -- from the last three years. Or before. If anything even hints at reminding him of his ex-wife's family, he goes through the roof.
We're working on a family Christmas get-together for this weekend since we'll be gone the week of the holiday. We made the suggestion and are coming up with plans (drinks and snacks and gifts at our place, then go out for pizza). Well, other than the date, we hadn't communicated any other plans to the family yet and this morning, my mom suggested a pizza place (not a "Let's go here" but "One place that might be fun is XXX"). Now he's been set off because my mom's trying to run everything and making all the decisions and we don't get any say. I know we haven't let anyone know what we're thinking so why wouldn't they feel like sharing an idea they had -- and, actually, the place she suggested was one we were considering. Also, it was worded as throwing out an idea they'd had, not as a mandate at all. I suggested sending out an email to say "Here's what we're thinking and we'll let you know when we've got it set." But that's not good enough. We shouldn't have to do that. They should just let us plan it. We shouldn't have even suggested this. Let's just cancel the whole thing. If you want to see them, fine, but Stepson and I aren't going to be there.
He says I always side with my family and never stand up for him. Not true. I've confronted members of my family when there's been a problem. I've agreed with him when he's made a fair criticism. Sometimes I have stood up for them, yes, when I can tell there's been a misunderstanding or miscommunication. But lately I've just kept my mouth shut. I've supported his decision to not attend some functions and have skipped them myself. Yet I now find out he's telling people that I always choose my family and put them first. And that those people are telling him "That's really weird. She shouldn't do that. It's not right."

2) If I have any opinion that's different from his, it can set him off. I was against a casino issue on the ballot of the last election. I don't have any moral problem with gambling, really. I just didn't like the way the thing was worded or handled. He railed against me for three hours for voting against him since he occasionally likes to bet at the horse track (no, he doesn't have a problem). If I'd known he'd react that way, I wouldn't have told him (or wouldn't have told the truth) when he asked how I voted.
He hates Elvis Presley. I like him just fine. Not my favorite but I have a few songs on my phone. I love Bing Crosby. He can't stand him. Most people would, I think just shrug or joke about it or something. With him, it becomes a huge drama.

3) Anything I do can annoy him. He's almost constantly critical these days. It's often said gently and without any kind of anger or annoyance behind it, yet it gets to me. I'll find some possible new recipes. He'll look at them and say "None of those looked good to me at all. Some of them were disgusting. I know they looked good to you but they're not my thing." Fine. That's OK. But then he'll go off into how we never cook anything new and just do the same old stuff. Yet he won't actually look for recipes himself.
Or I made up the bed this morning, which we don't usually do, but I had a spare few minutes. He got annoyed that I was being too finicky and being "just like" his mother.

4) Accusing me of things that are unfair or untrue. For instance: "I like to get appetizers at restaurants. But we can never do that when it's just us because you're the food police." I like appetizers too. I don't usually suggest it and if he asks "Do you need one?" I'll usually say no because, no, I don't "need" one, but I'll say "That could be good, though. What looks good to you?"
He'll say we can't go out to eat often because he knows I get bothered by that. I don't. I've never once said anything about the frequency of eating out. I love restaurants.
I'm a journalist and am paid by the hour. It's ok to be a little under, but I know I don't make a lot of money (something he points out) and I want to maximize it. Also, while I may not get paid much, I take pride in my work and in being a good, responsible employee. My need to work a full 40-hour week and to be there for meetings and interviews can annoy him. He's the boss at his place of employment and is salaried. Outside of meetings, he can pretty much set his own schedule and do what he wants.
Last week he complained that he'd been doing all this Christmas shopping for his son by himself. I pointed out that he was going midday, when I was at work (and dealing with a very busy week) and couldn't go. If he waited until 3:30 or so, I could go with him and help, which I really want to do. But, no, that's a sign I put work first. I'm not dedicated enough to my stepson and don't care about him. He's the only one who cares about him. If I didn't want to be a stepmother, I shouldn't have married him in the first place. That's an actual accusation he threw at me.
He'll decide on things at times when I can't go, then blame me for not being there and for having to do things all by himself.
Maybe I'm sending off some unconscious signals through body language. I don't know. But I'm not even thinking the things he accuses me of so it's enough to drive me nuts.

5) I do a lot to help him. I'll pick up S from school. In the mornings when we have him, I'll fix his breakfast and lunch while H is getting ready in the bathroom. I'll help with homework. I do all the laundry and grocery shopping. Yet, when he's in a mood, it's all about how he has to do everything and I don't help him at all, which just makes his stress level go up.

Sorry. I'm venting now.

Anyway, at the moment, it's hard for me to target one thing that's really predominant. There are so many issues. I'm sure there's some overarching issue that could cover all or most of these, but I'm a little frazzled.

Maybe the answer is respect. I'm coming to a place where I feel like I need to stop catering to him and shifting to suit him. Maybe I need to do what I need to/want to do and let the chips fall where they may. Be kind and respectful and understanding, but still live my life. Yesterday, I had to do some solo Christmas shopping. I ate lunch by myself at a place he doesn't like. I'm not a huge fan either but it wasn't super crowded in the post-church melee. It was a nice lunch. The people who waited on me were incredibly sweet. It just made me feel so happy and warm inside. Then it made me sad for him. I see this. I see the happy people. I see the friendliness. I see the love and good intentions. He doesn't. And I think that's why he's miserable. Or maybe he doesn't see it because he's miserable. Chicken. Egg.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »

I'm coming to a place where I feel like I need to stop catering to him and shifting to suit him. Maybe I need to do what I need to/want to do and let the chips fall where they may. Be kind and respectful and understanding, but still live my life.

Bingo! 

Thanks for taking the time to give us so much detail about what you are experiencing.  I'm sure many other members will read that and feel like kindred spirits.  The combined load of all that we experience can be very heavy.  How we interpret it and how we react can make a huge difference, though.

One of the central issues here is ownership and boundaries.  What you own and what he owns.

* Own what you should own.
* Let go of what you don't own.
* Don't take on something that he should own.
* If he tries to own something of yours, enforce a boundary.

Doing all of these things will take practice and habit changes, but over time it can make a huge reduction in conflict and stress, and help you be happier.

Let's look at voting for example.  You happen to let slip that you had a position that disagreed with his.  How did it go when he was giving you a hard time for three hours?  Were you doing other things at the same time?  Sitting there and listening for three hours?  Did you respond to him and try to convince him?  Please give us a little more detail.  Of course, you already know that each of you owns your vote and he shouldn't be giving you a hard time about it, but we can get you to a place where you can confidently enforce that boundary with respect while incurring less damage to yourself.

RC
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »

Bingo! 

Let's look at voting for example.  You happen to let slip that you had a position that disagreed with his.  How did it go when he was giving you a hard time for three hours?  Were you doing other things at the same time?  Sitting there and listening for three hours?  Did you respond to him and try to convince him?  Please give us a little more detail.  Of course, you already know that each of you owns your vote and he shouldn't be giving you a hard time about it, but we can get you to a place where you can confidently enforce that boundary with respect while incurring less damage to yourself.

RC

I responded and tried to explain my position. (I felt like the measure should have been addressed in the counties in question first before the whole state getting to vote on it. Also, I felt like, long-term, these casino measures don't always work out for the towns in question.) Not smart and not productive. It just wasted more time because he still doesn't believe that I'm not a conservative, holier-than-thou type who looks down on gambling. Other than that, yes, I was pretty much just sitting there and taking it. I tried to validate his feelings "I can see why that would bother you. I know you like going to the horse races." He never really tipped over into full-blown rage and he did calm down.

I know this triggered his annoyance with me, my family and my hometown. He frequently accuses me of being conservative. I'm really not. Some of my family members are, but then they're also not the stereotype he has in mind either. It's complicated (pet phrase of his: "I don't do complicated."). My hometown is in one of the counties involved and, yes, that played a part in my decision. I love my hometown. No desire to ever live there again, but I have great memories and love the people. He likes to make "jokes." Also, my best friend from high school (whom I mentioned before -- an asexual guy who lives some distance away so we rarely see each other) posted negatively about the issue on Facebook. H saw it but I didn't so I had no idea how he felt about it. My voting the same as my friend probably triggered his jealousy.

I need to find ways to just extricate from the situation when he gets like that. If I just got up and left the room, it would likely bring on a very strong reaction. Maybe saying something like "Wow. I can see you feel very strongly about this. I'll need to think about it some. Let's talk about it later."
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »

Well, therapy is a moot point now. I discovered that it's not considered preventive care on my current plan (it was on my old one) and I have a very high-deductible plan. So, any visits would be completely out-of-pocket. H makes plenty of money, but it's been a stress for him this year. I can't afford to cover that and other things on my salary and if he's against something, I can't in good conscience insist on him paying for something "non-essential" that he doesn't believe in.

Maybe I can find some solution but, for now, I'll have to rely on this board alone.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »

Ozzie,

I know you said you have a place you can stay but do you have transportation and an emergency bag packed?

I'm not trying to alarm you, I simply want you safe.  Having a plan is important.  I am going to send you info just in case but have you talked with people at a local DV shelter?  Again, I am saying this in an abundance of caution.

Here is a link Safety First which can help you formulate a plan.

We also have an assessment that you may want to do.  Just for information for yourself:  MOSAIC threat assessment https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=304172  Give yourself time to take it.  I've taken it as have many others.  Let us know how it goes please.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Zakade

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »

Well, therapy is a moot point now.

There are alternatives.  Years ago I used Catholic Charities.  It doesn't matter about your religious beliefs, they want to try and help.  They can give you a reduced schedule on rates and also allow you to make payments.  They may not have someone that would be specific to your situation but at least it would give you someone to talk to outside of this group.  I don't know of any other groups that do this but I'm sure that they are out there if you look for them.

What you are shouts so loudly in my ears I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another, either by argument or emotional appeal. -Marilyn Ferguson
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »

Thank you! I'll look into that.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 12:48:37 AM »

I need to find ways to just extricate from the situation when he gets like that. If I just got up and left the room, it would likely bring on a very strong reaction. Maybe saying something like "Wow. I can see you feel very strongly about this. I'll need to think about it some. Let's talk about it later."

That might have been a good thing to say.  Variations on that theme have come in very handy for many members.

How did you feel during the three hour session?  Did you feel like you were working hard to be patient and understanding, but feeling at least somewhat safe and confident in how you were coping?  Or did you feel threatened and miserable?  I've had three hour sessions with my wife where I thought, "Wow, that was hard work, but I kept my cool, validated, and she calmed down," and other three hour sessions that were beyond terrible, clearly abusive, and still weigh on me long afterward.  There's no right answer here, no way you *should* have felt -- the question is just aimed at understanding how much heat was coming your way and the impact on you.  Sometimes we just stuff our feelings.  If you're aware of how you felt, you can gauge whether or not your protections are adequate.

The MOSAIC test that Harri recommended is a good one.  Please let us know your score.

Domestic violence agencies may have good options on counseling.  One excellent choice might be joining a survivor's support group.  It would probably be free, and you'd be able to compare experiences with other women, which could be very helpful.  Physical violence is often a very small part of what goes on in abusive relationships, so verbal abuse and other non-physical things are likely to be talked about a lot.

Another resource that would be good is the book, Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft.

RC
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 08:06:50 AM »

During the 3 hours, I felt frustrated, miserable, threatened but also managed to stay calm and he never tipped over into violence or yelling. I felt scattered, too. I could tell he was "not there" and he was jumping from one topic to another, making statements that didn't really make sense or connections that weren't there. It scared me because it seemed like he was out of his mind. I was scrambling trying to stay with him -- or ahead of him -- and think of what my next move should be. My main goal was to keep him from losing it completely and to avoid saying or doing anything that would do major harm. That's why I ended up going back to our room and bed. I knew if I didn't, it would just keep it going -- or instigate something even worse.

I took the MOSAIC threat assessment test. The score was a 6 on the 1-10 scale. Said my situation is similar to situations that have escalated.

I have thought about domestic violence agencies. At the moment, I'm making an appointment to see a therapist who specializes in DV. My deductible has been met for the year so until Jan. 1, I can go and not pay anything. I'm hoping she can give me some advice and direction.

Will keep you all posted. I really appreciate everyone's care and support.
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 01:23:26 AM »

OK, it sounds like it was somewhere in between the two extremes of getting run over for three hours and handling it with no sweat.  You were able to contain things, but it sounds like it was exhausting.  So, you eventually withdrew, and seemed to do it without drama, is that correct?  If you had it to do over again, do you think you could have found an opportunity to retreat without drama in less than three hours?  If you were put in the exact same situation again, and he did the exact same things, how far into the conversation would might your first good exit point be?  The idea being... .with practice we can get better at lessening our exposure to situations like this.

RC
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »

Honestly, I'm not sure it would have made a difference if I had left earlier. I could tell what was happening as soon as it started. After a few minutes, I tried to "leave" the conversation by saying I was tired and we could talk about it tomorrow because obviously it was bothering him. He got mad at that and I got the "Oh, YOU'RE tired. See? It's all about you. You don't care about anybody else."

It wasn't too long into it that I tried to leave the room. Most of the conversation went on after I'd tried to remove myself. Things didn't calm down until he'd kind of run himself out.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 07:35:44 AM »

I can't in good conscience insist on him paying for something "non-essential" that he doesn't believe in.

Maybe I can find some solution but, for now, I'll have to rely on this board alone.

Ozzie101,

Hey... .can you bring this up with the therapist that you have visited.  Perhaps pay for another visit or two. 

1.  That therapist may be able to give you a sliding scale or work something out

or

2  That therapist may have a referral to someone with lower cost

This board will be a big help to you and luckily you seem to be at an earlier stage of a BPDish relationship where habits are still being formed, so there is more chance of changing them or establishing healthy patterns.

That being said, this stuff is incredibly difficult.  Especially the piece of this where you are introspective about YOUR stuff.  Hard questions that need to be explored

Such as... .

What is it about you that would lead you to get a letter from your husband insisting that you had been molested by your family, that you were in denial and that you should "look it up" and apparently do something about it and then that seems to have gone nowhere... .except in your desk?

Here is the thing... .it's not about keeping him happy so he doesn't dysregulate  How has that worked out so far?

Since we talked about the "molestation letter" I've been trying to think about some good advice.  What I ended up thinking about are some very important life principles. 

Generally speaking... .problems that stay hidden... .especially if the point of keeping things hidden is to keep someone "happy" or to make sure "they don't get mad... "... .those problems get worse AND the person usually isn't "happy".

He wanted you to "do something" about/with the letter... .so why not do it?  Perhaps your insurance will cover a visit to your General Practitioner.  Show him the letter and ask for their opinion about where to go to sort that out.  Then do that.  Invite your husband along for this journey... .but do it regardless of what he decides.

This will provide "light" on a situation and "accountability" with professionals looking into this.

After all... .why would it upset your husband that you accepted his letter and did something about it... .  Wouldn't he want you to get better and heal from what has been done to you?

This is hard stuff... .putting off facing hard stuff rarely makes it easier.

Best to you...    

FF

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »

Thank you, formflier. I can ask the therapist about that.

And good point about the keeping him happy. That is what I've been trying to do (most of the time) and it doesn't work. At all.

I told him that I did look that stuff up. That from what I read, hidden memories don't really work that way. And that, no, I didn't think things lined up. I told him what I'd found out. My former therapist, whom I saw for years, never even mentioned that as a possibility. And I would have been happy to take H to talk to him but, unfortunately, he passed away this summer. I told the new therapist about the molestation accusations and the letter. She seemed to be of the opinion that that was a major dysregulation and a typical attempt to separate me from people he saw as a threat.

I do know the personality traits that led him to suggest it.
1) I'm not as adventurous sexually as he is and had not had much experience at all before we met. That was more situational than anything else. I didn't really have opportunities for it. I've always had a natural tendency to be shy and reclusive, which makes it hard to meet people. That's changed a lot as I've gotten older and more confident, but still... .He sees it as repressed. Even though I do enjoy sex and we've had a very happy sex life (until more recently, when his frequent dysregulations have kind of put a damper on things and made me less in the mood).

2) I'm a very reserved, even-keeled person. That can come across as unemotional or repressed but I definitely feel emotions. I'm just not someone who expresses them overtly or goes over the top. And I tend to approach things in a rational way, not an emotional one.

3) I am close to my family. I'm attached to them. I'm perfectly capable of functioning outside their sphere and I don't see them all that often, despite living in the same city as some, but I still love and care for them and know they do so for me. I enjoy spending time with them when I have the chance. H interprets that as being tied to the apron strings.

4) I have been, in some ways, secretive and controlling. That's been more recent and has been a reaction to his rages -- trying to keep him from dysregulating. Again, not helpful and not working. I've been pulling back from that.

I'm aware that I have work to do. Some of our problems are caused by me and my handling of things. That's what I've been trying to fix. I listen to him and his complaints and try to fix what I can and what is my responsibility. The problem is, his reactions are extreme and he'll blame me for things or ascribe motives to me that aren't there.

Or some of his criticisms will be of things I don't want to change. He gets very frustrated and really dislikes dealing with elderly people. I've spent a lot of time around older people and have a good rapport with them. I enjoy their company and hearing their stories. That drives him crazy.

When there's a problem, I like to approach it calmly and respectfully and hear the other person's side, then come to a solution. He thinks anything but going in guns blazing is rolling over and letting people walk all over you.

He's complained many times that he's had to make all the changes in this relationship. He's had to adapt. I haven't had to. That's so untrue I didn't even know how to start on that one. I'm the one who moved into someone else's home and routine, took on a stepchild and two dogs, adjusted to living with four other living beings after years of living alone, changed my eating and sleeping schedules and habits to fit in more with his. The list goes on. But I know that's how he sees it and arguing will not help there.

The other night, during a perfectly calm night -- no dysregulation -- he talked about how he's been depressed lately. He wondered if the fact that I tend to be more calm and flat and "just there" (all his words) was bringing him down. I didn't know what exactly to say to that, other than that, yes, I believed we were often affected by the mood of those around us. I'm not a very excitable person. Never have been. I can work on letting the outside reflect the inside more, but I'm never going to be volatile or bubbly or an extreme personality. The new therapist said my even-keeled nature was probably part of what attracted him in the first place. It's typical with BPD.

Some of this just comes down to fundamental differences. I feel like in a healthy relationship, you can have differences but can respect that in each other, support each other's weaknesses with your strengths, admire their strengths.

Sometimes it feels like with his criticisms and demands, he's trying to make me more like him.

I'm not perfect. I've made a lot of mistakes and I know that I have some personality quirks myself that are unhealthy or unhelpful. I don't like to upset people. I don't like people to be angry with me. I like to make people happy. Thing is, I can't make people happy. I can't make him happy. But those things I can do, I want to do.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »

T
4) I have been, in some ways, secretive and controlling. That's been more recent and has been a reaction to his rages -- trying to keep him from dysregulating. Again, not helpful and not working. I've been pulling back from that.

Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

What is the difference in "secretive and controlling" and "private and thoughtful"?

And... .by "controlling"... .are you trying to control what you do... .or he does?

Lots of good explanation about what YOU have done about the letter in the past.  I see lots of work on your part to ease his discomfort and handle the problem he "tossed in your lap".

Since he is so concerned about your alleged sexual molestation history, why not thank him for his concern, and invite him in to explain his position to your therapist, so she can make sure she does the proper work with you.  For the benefit of your health.

Then... after inviting him... stop discussing such matters outside of therapy.  STOP.

It will be uncomfortable for him and he will sort through that, with or without therapy.  BUT WITHOUT YOUR "HELP". 

Do you see how in the "big picture" he "brings you things" and you jump all over them and explain all these things to try and "solve" or "help"... .yet... .oddly... .he gets "worse"?

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest