Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:04:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fear, anger and feeling trapped (new member)  (Read 418 times)
Meridius

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: March 21, 2019, 06:55:05 AM »

Hi all,

I've been married to my wBPD for a short time. It’s both our second marriages.  I have teenage daughters who sometimes lived with me and my wBPD has grown up kids who have moved out. When we were dating, she told me she was a diagnosed BPD and told me a lot about the DBT program she completed.  I knew her job was in a really demanding managerial role and customer facing as well.  I didn't think too much about the other warning signs, so after a courtship of 11 months, we got married.

Then she experienced a really bad bullying and harassment from her boss in a startup-role helping launch a new business.  The boss was also a highly respected community figure.  The role itself was very rewarding for my wBPD, and a dream job that used all parts of her skills and faith.  It had been going on for a bit beforehand, but it came crashing down just after her dad, and the boss being a total a**hole contacting wBPD during the weekend of the funeral, and having a performance meeting with her the Monday after the funeral.  There's more before and after, but that was the main things that pushed her over the edge.

Her response to that bullying was four(4) attempted suicides(overdose) in 3 months + one more 4 months after, eight(8) hospitalisations at the local public hospital.  She’s since been out of work for a year and a half.

After six months, she’s since been diagnosed with C-PTSD, has horrible anxiety and depression and has spent next last year in and out of in-patient therapy at a reputable rehab private hospital.  No more suicide attempts, but many thoughts about it.

The impact on my kids has been pretty bad and has restricted my time with them.  My wBPD has thrown water at my eldest, and called her a f**king b**ch.  She’s exploded at fairly typical and measured teenage responses.  After blowing up at my daughter, my daughter wanted to leave and my wBPD wanted to go to her sisters.  I was wailing at the car thinking I’m going to lose either my daughter or my wife.  Every weekend they’re visiting she always complains “You’re not the same when they’re here”.  She thought my kids hated her, regardless of what I told her. 

I hated trying to rationalise that it wasn’t her fault for all this, that it was her boss’ fault.  Or the meds.  Or trying to keep things calm so she wouldn’t attempt again.  But every time I tried to defend my kids, she would go ballistic and I just didn’t know what the f**k was happening.  The stress of my brain and heart wanting to explode had gotten unbearable.

It all came to a head last year in one big fight in front of my eldest where we were both at fault.  After that, my eldest daughter won’t talk to me or see me.  I’ve only just started talking and meeting up with my youngest earlier this year.  We meet almost every weekend, but rarely comes over.  We talk about a lot of things, but I’m hearing from her that her mother, my ex-wife, is swamped at work/school and unable to do things with Peta.  I could do more to be with her, but I’m too far away and my wBPD doesn’t want to move.

My youngest has told me they think she drinks too much and my eldest said she doesn't so much hate my wBPD, but just very scared of mBPD reactions.  It’s been unsettling for them and me.  She has left the house before due to the fights.
Thank God my manager at work is very understanding, and my position is solid.
Since I’ve been counting in Nov last year, my wPBD has averaged 1/2 -3/4 bottle of red wine per day, almost every day.  My gut feel she’s an alcoholic, but the trauma-induced kind.  Not the physiological kind.  She doesn’t drink and is okay when in rehab, but gets right back on the booze when she gets home.   I don’t drink for health reaons, so she’s drinking alone even when I’m around.  Now that I think about it, she’s always had a drink every day.  Sometimes, a bit too much.
Over the last 6 months, I’ve told her many times, I don’t want to raise my kids with someone who uses alcohol to self-medicate.

She’s tried to defend the drinking by saying her psychiatrist says he understands why she needs to drink.  Better drinking alcohol than trying to take your life.  It blunts the emotional pain.  But he sets fairly low limits on what she should be drinking, which she drinks well above all the time.  And she’s on 3 kinds of psychological medication.

My psychologist, who I unload myself to, is aghast at how much she drinks.

My wBPD told me ages ago that in DEARMAN in DBT, alcohol is a listed and allowed distraction.  Is it?  That much?  Can someone tell me this is true or not?

However...I’m going to a support group to deal with the alcohol and mental illness, her craziness and not being able to see my kids.  It’s actually an Al-Anon group, because they understand what it’s like to close to someone who drinks all the time and who’s out of control and powerless over alcohol and a life that’s unmanageable.  If I add “mental illness” to “alcohol”, then I understand I’m powerless of both, and my life is unmanageable.

In the last few months everything has been blown away because I found out my wBPD tried to take her life in her previous marriage, a couple of times.  And that’s the reason her first husband left, not because of an affair, which is what she told me while dating.  I was lied to prior getting married.

I feel like the bottom of my love bucket has been blasted out with a shot gun.  Nothing she pours in stays. She’s trying, but I’m not responding.

Then I found out very recently, they’re considering her for a one year DBT program.  On the one hand, it’s good for her.  She needs the refresher.  On the other, I don’t know whether I want to be around.  It’s a confronting program already, and the marriage is on shaky ground as it is.  I want to move out and focus on my girls.  I’d rather not be around when she’s doing DBT. 

Also, wBPD's drinking, although taken for “medicinal purposes” is very likely masking some other emotional issue.  And she’s always used alcohol, and she tells me her goal is to get to just “social drinking”.  Dinner parties and restaurants with friends only.  But my wBPD has never been a social drinker.  She’s scared to stop drinking for even for a week.  I know enough about alcohol addiction that there’s very likely some emotional thing or things that have been masked for years and years by her drinking.  I don’t know what it is.  It could be small or big or nothing or huge.  But like I said, I don’t want to be in blast radius when she tries to get some lengthy sobriety in and the lid gets taken off.

She once told me my eldest daughter reminds her of her older sister, whom she does not get along with.  I’ve asked her to explain several times, but she can’t. 
If that wasn’t enough, while being interviewed for the DBT program, she told her interviewer that she’d once drank extra wine just to spite me because she knows I can’t have any.  On the one hand, I’m not jealous because I don’t drink a lot, so the health restriction is no big deal.

But…drinking with intent, so she can try to hurt me.  That is so immature.

I want to leave.  Run, actually.  And yet, then there’s these vows I said.  And my kids on the other side.  And a wBPD whose still not able to work and depressed.

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

Easy does it
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »

Hello Meridius! Welcome to the family! Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

You've been carrying a heavy load, no doubt. I'm glad you found us here. This is a supportive community and many of our members will be able to relate to your story.

I definitely see similarities between what you wrote and my own experience with my BPDh (undiagnosed).

His big dysregulation was also set off by work-related stress, helped along by personal stressors at around the same time. He still has his job and has continued to be able to function in it, but for quite a while, he was coming home and taking all the stress out on me, transferring his feelings in ways that just didn't make sense.

He also has used alcohol to self-medicate. And he was on psych meds, too. We both started to notice that the alcohol (though he never drank to inebriation) probably played a role in his mood and behavior. His biggest rages always had alcohol involved and usually on an empty stomach. His psychiatrist told him that the particular meds he's on, when combined with alcohol, can really enhance anger. Anyway, he's cut WAY back on his alcohol and it's made a difference. Unfortunately, though, that's something that only the drinker can decide. You can't make someone cut back or stop if they don't really want to.

Then there's the family. I don't have children but my H really picked the rest of my family as a target. Kind of like you describe with your daughters. It got so I was afraid to mention them at all for fear it would trigger a rage.

This:
Excerpt
She once told me my eldest daughter reminds her of her older sister, whom she does not get along with.  I’ve asked her to explain several times, but she can’t. 
Definitely sounds like transference -- like she's taking out her issues with her sister on your daughter.

Like you, I reached a point where I no longer cared and though he started therapy (not DBT), I wasn't sure I wanted to stick around. Eventually, I saw enough real change in him that I decided to stick it out but that's a very personal, individual decision.

I'm glad you have a support group. Having that system is very important (and this board can be a support for you too). Do you have a therapist of your own? Therapy can be very helpful in sorting through feelings.

When it comes to stay or leave, we can't tell you what to do. I will tell you not to make any huge decisions while you're confused and emotional. That's where people end up making life-altering mistakes. Usually, they can't be undone. It's best to be able to calmly, rationally weigh out all the issues.

A couple of questions:
How do you react when your wife lashes out at your daughters?

Does she ever lash out at you? How do those exchanges usually go?

Have you thought through what you really WANT to happen?

Have you considered a trial separation? Time for you to hopefully repair things and be there for your daughters while giving your W time to get to a healthier place?
Meridius

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »

Hello Meridius! Welcome to the family! Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

You've been carrying a heavy load, no doubt. I'm glad you found us here. This is a supportive community and many of our members will be able to relate to your story.

Thanks Ozzie. I've been lurking for a few weeks, trying to type up something.  It was hard choosing how much to say or how to say it.  Even though I have other support, the hardest part is deciding whether to tell what's happening or just asking questions or venting.

I'm glad you have a support group. Having that system is very important (and this board can be a support for you too). Do you have a therapist of your own? Therapy can be very helpful in sorting through feelings.

A couple of questions:
How do you react when your wife lashes out at your daughters?

Does she ever lash out at you? How do those exchanges usually go?

Have you thought through what you really WANT to happen?

Have you considered a trial separation? Time for you to hopefully repair things and be there for your daughters while giving your W time to get to a healthier place?

Yes, I have my own therapist.  He's been really good for m.

When she lashes out at my daughter, it depends on how the trigger happened.  When she called my daughter a f**king b**ch, I was so shocked, I couldn't say anything at first.  The thing going through my head was, "If this happens again, I'm going to have to leave because my girls don't deserve this".  But I only told her that language is never appropriate.  She kept going on about how disrespectful my daughter was prior to this.  She apologised later that day, but my daughter was mortified.  I was really afraid of confronting her on this again because I was worried she'd try to commit suicide again if she got so upset. 

The other time, she blew up at my daughter's comments about pregnancy and planning, and I tried to calm them both down.  My wife thought my daughter said something insulting, but I didn't think my daughter said anything disrespectful other than being a typical lippy teenager.  My wife go so upset about it, she decided not to join us to for a family trip to the movies.   I didn't fight her on it, I just said, okay you can stay at home, the three of us will go see the movie.  While we were in the movie called her sister and was so distraught her sister called an ambulance.  I got a call in the cinema from the sister and my wife about the situation in the hospital.

I didn't pull my kids from the cinema.  I knew if wife was in the hospital, she's safe.  I tried to watch the end of the movie before responding, taking the kids home, getting them dinner before going to the hospital.

Both times I was furious, but tried to keep things calm.

When she lashes out at me, it depends on the topic.  If she's trying to avoid being blamed, I hold my tongue.  I can't deal with people who are unwilling to take responsibility, but this is a BPD problem through and through.

If she's lashing out at my kids or telling me she's going to drink because I'm not spending time with her and going to AlAnon or the housework (abandonment fears), I'll try to say one thing back to defend my right to take care of myself and then leave it at that.

One time, I was not talking to her in the car because I was stressed out something very bad that happened with me and my kids at a school event, she'll start probing questions and then when I give her an answer, she'll not address it and respond with "Why did you only send that vague text in the car and not get back to me?  That was cruel."   I flipped and said, "Oh sure.  It's always about you!"  And then we'd have a fight where she'd be unable to support me and was focused on telling me why my not responding caused her so much pain.

Often, she'll pull herself together and come back and ask some probing question quietly.  Sometimes when she lashes out in those conversations, I can mirror and reflect the pain, and then keep trying to talk.  But it's hard to keep her on topic.

What do I want?  I want to spend more time with my girls, closer to them and also have my wife get healthier.  Hopefully, we can stay together.  But there's a whole bunch of behaviours over the last 1.5 years which I can't abide by, and although I've said a few things, she's not displaying some key behaviours just yet.

I have floated the idea of a trial separation.  She was shocked by it and totally distraught.  I'm talking to a lot of (hopefully) wise heads and friends and trying to get perspective.  She's not happy while I'm thinking and talking to  people.

I'm hoping the wise heads will also be here in this forum as well.

Easy does it
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 07:25:05 AM »

Excerpt
It was hard choosing how much to say or how to say it.  Even though I have other support, the hardest part is deciding whether to tell what's happening or just asking questions or venting.

Well, we're here for both!

From what you describe, there is a LOT of manipulation and emotional blackmail going on. And I'm sorry your daughters have been caught up in it as well. That's a lot for adults to handle, let alone kids. It sounds like you handled the movie night in a great way, so good for you there.

We can't tell you what to do with your relationship -- stay or go. That's ultimately your decision to make. But we're happy to help you process it. It's a tough choice. If you choose to stay, we have tools that can help you improve your relationship. If you choose to go, we can help you with the fall-out from that, too. Just keep posting.

Is there one particular part of your relationship that's most urgently in need of improvement?
Meridius

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 07:06:51 AM »

Hi Ozzie.  It's been a while and I wanted to say thanks for the replies.

I'm back and I'll update life in a new post.

M

Easy does it
Rev
Ambassador

Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:24:13 AM »

Hi Ozzie.  It's been a while and I wanted to say thanks for the replies.

I'm back and I'll update life in a new post.

M

Please do... I just picked this up and wanted to say hello, welcome... hang in there …. think of yourself first because if you go down, it all goes down.

Ozzie is awesome … you'll get lots of good support here.

Rev
Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:14 AM »

Welcome back, Meridius! I'll look for your update. Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Meridius

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

Hi Rev.  Hi Ozzie.  Thanks.

I posted my update here --> https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=342445.msg13097370#msg13097370

Easy does it
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest