Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:00:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: not sure what love is supposed to feel like  (Read 404 times)
Euler2718

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 13, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »

2yrs since BPDxgf left. Still very limited contact. Anyway, I've been dating a normal girl, she says she loves me and we had sex last week for the first time. I don't feel love (or maybe I do), but sometimes I feel like I do. During sex I'm not sure how I felt, it's just weird. I tell her I cherish her sometimes. Its a problem, not knowing who I am or how I feel. So far she has been patient. The ex needed to feel so completely loved everything was a potential fight.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm doing very well. It's not cause of the BPD relationships, it's more like I'm at a distance and always have been.

Also -- I am in therapy. Things happen quicker than I can mature though.
itsmeSnap

"Tree of the young brave king"

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:57:30 PM »

Hey man

I'm kind of in a similar camp, been dating someone I thought I was not really attracted to at first.

No sex yet, but I'm having similar feelings like you describe, I like her but I'm not sure, and yet I keep moving forward, so I'm starting to let myself believe I really do like her but I'm having "intimacy calibration" issues from the intensity of having previously dated a BPD.

Excerpt
it's more like I'm at a distance and always have been.
I just told her I need time, that I might be "seemingly cold" while I process things, that its not a rejection. She understood, she's giving me space. it's quite comfortable, I feel at ease, I know she likes me a lot, I'm still not sure, and yet we're both ok with it.

Last time (BPD gf) was pretty much the opposite. at least I'm being open and honest, if things don't work out then so be it, and if they do, only time will tell I guess.

Excerpt
Things happen quicker than I can mature though
Don't feel bad or be afraid to press the brakes, she'll understand. And if she doesn't, then maybe it really wasn't quite right, what do you think?

Not all those who wander are lost
Euler2718

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »

I'm still going forward. I don't pretend to love more than I do. I don't know about all this searching for passion; it's just a drug that stops working maybe. Yesterday I took the new girl to mini golf and coffee and I bought her clothes (I told her she was dressed like a nun, it was only about $30 worth of clothes). I haven't committed yet, I don't know when or if I'm supposed to do that since I will discuss with my therapist before doing that.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »

I'm still going forward. I don't pretend to love more than I do. I don't know about all this searching for passion; it's just a drug that stops working maybe. Yesterday I took the new girl to mini golf and coffee and I bought her clothes (I told her she was dressed like a nun, it was only about $30 worth of clothes). I haven't committed yet, I don't know when or if I'm supposed to do that since I will discuss with my therapist before doing that.

How did she respond to that?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Euler2718

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »

Fine. We laugh a lot. She suggested I buy her replacement clothes so I spent $30 on some new clothes at the mall. No problem, everyone was happy!
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »

Sounds like a comfortable shared sense of humor.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
itsmeSnap

"Tree of the young brave king"

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »

Excerpt
I don't know when or if I'm supposed to do
Very few people enter a dating situation with the intent of marrying the person from the start.

Dating is precisely that, figuring out if you like each other enough for feelings of love to develop. And if not, well then you'll know, no sense staying (or trying to keep them with you) with someone you don't love.

Not all those who wander are lost
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest