Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:55:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we identify a good DBT therapist or program for BPD teens?  (Read 396 times)
FaintTheGoat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 12, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »

Hi, there. Our 15 year old DD will be coming home from a residential tomorrow and we’ll be trying to get her reestablished with school, home, counseling, etc.

The residential she’s at now seems to be working from a set treatment program for addiction and the therapists consistently seem to be missing things. I feel like I’m trying to educate them on BPD when I’m only just figuring out how to crawl myself - they’re in some cases “feeding the monster” (disease - not my daughter) and don’t even realize what they’re doing.

We’ve had a tough time locating counselors before the BPD diagnosis and found ourselves, but at least now I feel like we know generally what could be helpful and what not, now that we have a diagnosis to work from.

The current residential makes a lot of claims to work with BPD teens and use DBT. I understand now - including thanks to this group - that it’s pretty common for centers to claim these things but not actually be able or qualified to work with our kids.

For you veterans out there: How is Linehan certification better or useful? How do you identify and verify that a counselor, therapist, or program could be good for your kid and family? What should we be asking and looking for, and what’s worked for you?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »

I don't know the answers to your questions but I am interested so I will be following this thread.
PeaceMom

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:03:09 PM »

I’m certainly not an expert, but if your read “Loving someone w/BPD” she discusses how many purport to offer these services. Could you call Behavior Tech and ask them what all is involved in the full treatment of BPD? I know they require at a minimum-weekly group and weekly individua and  phone support from the therapist. The goal is when they are in the crisis of the week they have their skills card handy and are working from it, but they can text or call therapist and receive
Specific instruction and then check back in after they have regulated.

The coursework is very specific-it’s like school and they work thru each area of the curriculum then practice it.

If I’m off on this, please correct me.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 02:26:05 PM »

Linehan's model is evidence-based, so those who are certified must replicate the model of DBT she laid out (which includes group as well as individual therapy plus coaching calls) in order to be able to say that it meets the criteria for DBT.

Excerpt
Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Adolescents (DBT-A) is a manualized, 16-week behavioral treatment, that includes concurrent individual therapy once a week, family therapy as needed and a multifamily skills training group in an outpatient setting

The DBT treatment in my area has a teen program that includes parents in the skill-building part of the group sessions. There is also a list of DBT therapists who are certified so people can check to make sure that they've been trained in implementing the evidence-based model of DBT.

The author of Buddha and the Borderline talks about how DBT worked (and didn't work) during her own recovery from BPD symptoms. First she was in a watered down DBT group, then group therapy with CBT, and then a bonafide DBT model, where she really locked in. It's helpful to read about it from her experience. The individual therapy and coaching calls had a big impact from what I remember.

I would ask the therapist if he or she is DBT certified, first. And has he or she trained with Linehan.

Breathe.
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »

I'm in the UK. Our mental health resources are also challenged. I was fortunate (I'm in the capital) our local mental health hospital was right on it, with the very best in USA leadership and collaboration. The most important part is my DD knows, how to help herself. I have found one other lower cost private practice in the UK who practices, is certified that my DD and I have confidence in. My DD is now working with them.

Excerpt
I would ask the therapist if he or she is DBT certified, first. And has he or she trained with Linehan.

Yes, LnL, me too 

Group, peer to peer is a must, along with DBT weekly therapy. Marsha way.

You can make this next step with your DD, have   

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest