Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:57:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As most of you know, the good times with her are amazing but ...  (Read 344 times)
gardenbees
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: living together part tim

« on: December 28, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »

My partner of almost two years is exhibiting traits that I think are BPD.  I am in counseling and so is she but when I mentioned that she might have this issue and sent her an article explaining it she agreed that she might have one or two of the traits but that she definitely did not have BPD.  I was very respectful of her denial and really just wanted to get her thinking about it and perhaps mention it to her therapist to see what she thought. I feel she has at least five of the traits and it is affecting our relationship to the point that I don't know if we will be able to stay together.  I am going through a divorce after 35 years of an emotionally abusive marriage so that is also a huge issue for me.  Some of her BPD traits are huge triggers for me and it is hard to be objective with my current partner when some of the things she does remind me of how my husband used to treat me.  

I have just finished 'walking on eggshells'.  My therapist recommended it and it gives me hope that somehow I can make this relationship work.  As most of you know, the good times with her are amazing but I'm just not sure that they outweigh the dark times that she brings to the relationship and the uncertainty of what person will show up at my door on any given day.  She has apologized so many times for her behavior and says that she will change but it always goes back to the way it was with her sour moods, shutting me out, blaming me, nit picking me.  She realizes that what she is doing is damaging to our relationship but she seems incapable of changing it.

I am starting to set boundaries with her and stand up for myself against her destructive behavior and holding her accountable for her feelings and emotions.  I am no longer blaming myself for her moods and anger.  I am becoming a mirror, not the sponge that I used to be.  I expect push back from her from this new found place of power that I am exhibiting.  I learned by leaving my marriage that I have to take responsibility for my own happiness and that knowledge will serve me well when dealing with her BPD.  I don't know how this will end but I hope she will realize that our relationship is valuable to her and sincerely try to make the changes we need to be happy together.  Any thoughts about similar situations would be great.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:47:43 PM by Harri, Reason: changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Harri
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:45:05 PM »

Hi and welcome. 

I am glad you found us and posted.  So many of us are in or were in similar situations and can relate and maybe even share some of what works/worked for us.  The good news is that things can get better for you. 

Excerpt
I am going through a divorce after 35 years of an emotionally abusive marriage so that is also a huge issue for me.  Some of her BPD traits are huge triggers for me and it is hard to be objective with my current partner when some of the things she does remind me of how my husband used to treat me.
Again, a lot of us struggle with managing our own triggers and trying to balance and center ourselves while responding in a healthy way to our partner.  Therapy can help with that and we can help too as you post and even jump into other threads you will read others having to do the same.  It is often easier to see a solution when looking at someone else's situation.

Excerpt
I am starting to set boundaries with her and stand up for myself against her destructive behavior and holding her accountable for her feelings and emotions.  I am no longer blaming myself for her moods and anger.  I am becoming a mirror, not the sponge that I used to be.
The changes you are making are excellent and will serve you well as you navigate your way through this relationship.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
I expect push back from her from this new found place of power that I am exhibiting.  I learned by leaving my marriage that I have to take responsibility for my own happiness and that knowledge will serve me well when dealing with her BPD.  I don't know how this will end but I hope she will realize that our relationship is valuable to her and sincerely try to make the changes we need to be happy together.  Any thoughts about similar situations would be great.
Push back will happen as you change your usual role.  As long as you are acting within your personal values and are consistent, you should be fine.  How she reacts is something else as I am sure you know. 

At this point what would you say your biggest challenge is? 

Again Welcome

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest