Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:59:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Switch  (Read 356 times)
paperinkart

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together (But It’s Tough Lately!)

« on: January 15, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »

This morning we were planning summer trips together and now he just messaged me and said “do we even love each other?” And when I pressed for more information, all he could say was “I don’t know”.

Okay, awesome. I tried harder to get him to talk to me and now I’m just being ignored. This is honestly the worst. This week and a half has been SO up and down, and I just want it to go back to normal...except I’m scared this is my new normal. I feel sick with anxiety now because I don’t know how long this silence will last or what he’s even feeling and why? Gosh, this is so frustrating.

I’m trying not to hit the panic button but I’m getting really close.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »

I'm glad you came here.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  Let's talk.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  Can you identify anything that may have triggered this switch? Life changes, a recent conflict? I know you had a text fight not too long ago.

When he is distant like this, have you found it more helpful to pursue him or give him space?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
paperinkart

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together (But It’s Tough Lately!)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »

You have a good memory!

Thank you for chatting with me. We did have a minor fight last week. He called the next morning and apologized profusely. We had a misunderstanding last night where I THOUGHT he was ignoring me. I’m ashamed to admit that I totally panicked and flew off the handle. I called and called and called and sent a barrage of messages.

He called again this morning to apologize that he had fallen asleep with his phone on silent and swore he wasn’t ignoring me. So things were good and normal this morning after that. We were texting all morning while he was at work. I couldn’t reply for a little while as I was driving. He seemed upset that I wasn’t talking to him and then I got “why are we always so mad at each other? Do we even love each other”?”

I’m also ashamed to admit that I didn’t handle this any better the second time around. I have such a fear of abandonment and it’s SO triggered when this happens. I’ve sent so many desperate messages and I’m so embarrassed. I just keep thinking “how can he see I’m so upset and not reply?”.

I’ve given up for now. No more messages. I won’t call him either. I don’t know how to get this silent treatment to STOP once and for all. He never can explain why he’s doing it and he always feels awful after- so why does it keep happening?

Thanks again for talking and listening
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »

Is it fair to say that you trigger each other's fears of abandonment pretty frequently? Maybe this is what he's referring to when he asks why you're always so mad at each other. I can imagine how tiring this might be for both of you.  With affection (click to insert in post)

I’m ashamed to admit that I totally panicked and flew off the handle. I called and called and called and sent a barrage of messages.

You can identify the role your own fears play.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) What is your plan next time this happens? What steps can you take to self-soothe before taking your panic to him?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest