Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 01:08:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you define not participating in the Karpman Triangle? Part 2  (Read 434 times)
zachira
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »

Mod Note:  Part 1 of this thread is here:  https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=343732.new#new

PeaceMom,
"Maybe we never talk about this on the parent board because we all seem to be in the middle of trying to fix the plane while it’s flying. Usually we are in frantic crisis mode. We are trying to protect our kids while not being drowned by them. Hmmm"

It can help to remember that we need to feel safe first and be calm ourselves before we can make the best decisions for ourselves and others, including not participating in the Karpman Triangle. My mother with BPD died last summer, and it was a relief in many ways. I now am able to see so many positive things about my mother as I will never again be subject to her rages and abuse. You are thinking about going LC or NC with your daughter which could give you some needed time to heal and recoup though you will likely always need to take time out to be present and feel the loss of having the kind of daughter you were hoping to have. Is this something you might discuss with your therapist?

I think you are a little hard on yourself. It could help to decide when it makes sense to intervene in your daughter's life and when it could be better to let her take full responsiblity for her decisions, not an easy task by any means for any parent with an adult child with BPD. I am under the impression that many parents feel guilty having to do things for their adult child that they wouldn't have to do if their adult child did not have BPD. You care about your daughter and want what's best for her, even if you may some day have to love her from a distance, and that speaks volumes of what kind of person you are. Please give yourself a loving pat on the back.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:22:16 PM by I Am Redeemed, Reason: title change » Logged

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:48:04 PM »

Hi all!

Quote from:  zachira
It certainly takes a lot of self awareness to stay out of the Triangle and sometimes maybe we will consciously be a part of it, when standing up to extreme abuse that is not to be tolerated.
This is interesting to me as I do not see standing up for myself (as in having boundaries, using tools like Don't JADE, SET, etc) as participating in the drama triangle.  Maybe I misunderstand what you said?  When I talked about being active in the drama triangle, for me personally, it usually meant that I was acting on what my outer critic was telling me:  seeing danger when none was there, or even when there was, reacting rather than responding, etc.  So I am intrigued by what you are saying here Z. 

If what my family member with BPD is doing is terribly threatening to my safety and sense of wellbeing, than getting angry can help to mobilize me to take the actions I need to take.
I agree with this.  For me, it was a matter of letting myself get angry without abusing the other person in return.   It also meant being self-aware enough to know when the threat was real vs one where I was reacting based on decades of old abuse and conditioned responses

The Karpman triangle requires all of the tools really.  Good healthy boundaries, understanding the role of the inner and outer critic, using SET, Radical Acceptance, knowing what role we tend to take when in crisis (victim, persecutor, rescuer ... all, when talking about the Karpman drama triangle are unhealthy).

I do think you have been living a sort of personal Coronavirus Pandemic for many years, and you do not get sucked into the Karpman Triangle so easily because most of the time you have your priorities straight.
Thanks but (!) I get in the drama often enough... even when I am all by myself!  I can play all three roles.  We all can.  Like you said above somewhere, it is a matter of being able to see that and choosing to act differently or maturely as Once removed said.

Quote from:  Notwendy
The discussion about power is interesting. As a child, my mother had total power over me. As an adult, her power was the result of my att, achment to my father. She controlled him and so by extension, had ways to manipulate me.
This is a good point.  If my mother had died after my father, I would have had the same situation.  I gave up all hope and had no desire for anything that belonged to my parents, but for me, that is just the way I am.  I appreciate things and I value them but items don't mean that much to me.  It was a lesson I learned early on as all too often, what I valued was destroyed or taken away or worst of all, I *gave* it to my mother to try to earn her love.  I do keep a box of all the cards I have ever received from friends over the years and other small token.  None from my parents.  I have two items in my home that belonged to my parents but not because they have any value to me but simply because i like them and they are one of a kind.  Sometimes I wonder if that makes me careless or callous in some ways.  Though I do feel sad if I lose something someone gave me but it is fleeting.  What bothers me and hurts is if I find out there was some deception around the act of giving or the item in question.

Quote from:  Notwendy
I actually was able to get some of the sentimental items later and I am glad for that. Eventually though, I realized I had to let go of my wanting them as much, as a way to be free of her control.
Well said Notwendy.  Maybe you and zachira got to a point i did not get to in time.  The point where I could keep something that 'came from that darned house' or that was in the room when <whatever> happened all the time, etc. 

Yes, it is time to move on, and I wish I could be fully no contact with the family.
I am always hesitant to suggest this but I am going to do it as I know you know I care and say it with care.  Can you change the wording you use around this?  Maybe say "I choose to continue limited contact right now and for however long it takes to resolve the shared property issue".  Maybe I am knocking on the wrong door here and it is not an issue for you?  To let you know where I am coming from, I try to be careful in my wording of things like this.  Rather than feeling like I have to stay in contact (and all that entails), I prefer to see it as a choice that I made and that I can change at any time.  For me, choice is more empowering and for me it is more accurate as I could indeed make other choices.  Does that apply here?  I may not be seeing your situation fully so I apologize if this is off the mark.  Please disregard if it is.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Hi PeaceMom!   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Quote from:  PeaceMom
Maybe the Karpman triangle is more about the perception (not reality) of being a victim when there are actually choices to escape?
I think so.  There are a couple of ways you can look at the Karpman Triangle.  One is to try to predict how the other person will see our role and to understand their role so we can better respond.  Another way is to look at what our behaviors bring to the dynamic and how our behaviors can either start or add to the drama triangle and use it as a way to figure out how to respond in healthy ways (basically using all of the other tools, at least in the way I look at things).  BTW, I don't mean that to seem as an either or choice.  Both ways can be done at the same time. 

Excerpt
I know for a fact that about once a year, I’d attack back with hollering, mean words, slamming doors, storming out, ignoring... this was actually me becoming a perpetrator, not just being one in my mind. And as for a rescuer, I have been an actual rescuer on 100s of occasions.
Me too!  Like I said, I can play all three roles. 

Excerpt
This mindset seemed different than when she was raging screaming toxic words in my ear while driving her to school, I was truly a victim those days.
I agree.  It works(ed) this way for me too.

Excerpt
Maybe we never talk about this on the parent board because we all seem to be in the middle of trying to fix the plane while it’s flying. Usually we are in frantic crisis mode. We are trying to protect our kids while not being drowned by them. Hmmm
Like zachira, I don't know how you guys do it and you all have my admiration and encouragement.  I wonder if changing how you view working on this stuff might help.  Rather than seeing it as something to learn or yet another thing to work on (or whatever fits for you) you can view this and the other tools and practicing them as self care?  A lot of people get frustrated with the tools at times because they seem to focus on our pwBPD.  I have come to look at the tools as primarily being for me and sometimes they help the other person.

I loved my mother very much while she was alive (still do).  I also enabled her, persecuted her and was 'her victim' long after I moved out from under her rule.  The challenge then became to get her out of my head.  Eventually, I became an adult with awareness of the disorder and them the self awareness of my own behaviors.  Then I became aware of the choices available to me (part of taking back my power).  I may not always like the choices, but unless I am a child or a literal prisoner, I do have choice.  Sometimes, as we discussed above, that means walking away even when I love someone.  Sometimes it means changing how I choose to act on the love I feel.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:07 PM »

I realize that my siblings will up the ante of cruel behaviors no matter what I do. I think part of their cruelty is a reaction to when I have responded to what they have done, and another part is when I have gone out of my way to ignore their behavior which is what I do most of the time now. One of the things I have learned about people with BPD is that they go through cycles of cruelly attacking their targets to ignoring their targets.

You’re right. This can often be the case. What is evident in what you said here is self awareness on your part. You know it, but maybe there’s some repetition compulsion at play? Just a random thought, zachira. You’re struggling here, and very close to finding another level of peace on your journey.

BTW, is there an attorney involved in settling the estate? If so, do you see a pathway to some kind of mediation to make things a little easier?  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
PeaceMom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »

Harri and Zachira,
Thanks for clarifying this with me. I tend to be fairly literal and I enjoy mastery of techniques so I can unlock the next level of the video game of life. Being stagnant or struggling with change and mastery ticks me off (for myself!). Now that I have a better understanding that this is more like a “role” we play or are cast to play by another in a drama, makes more sense. I’ve literally been a victim, a perpetrator and a rescuer. But, I’ve been cast by my DD as her rescuer/doormat/dumping ground. I’ve given myself the role of Victim because I see no end in being the #1 carer/supporter of my abusive DD.

I’ll keep digging deep to check this reality to be aware of other options/choices in the days ahead. Hopefully, even if I feel like a victim, I can honestly say, I’m choosing to be in a relationship with my DD. I need to keep myself in check so I don’t start feeling like a martyr.
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »

Just a comment here, and I will be back later to respond to other thoughts posted here. I have to have contact with my siblings because I own property with them though I have choosen to minimize the contact I have with them as much as possible and get a third party to interact with them on my behalf when possible. I am planning to sell all the property I own with them if I can, because than I will be able to choose to go NC with them. For now, I am choosing not to hire a lawyer because of cost and any response on my part will kick my siblings into high gear to think of some kind of revenge. My heart hurts for those who for different reasons have to still be in a relationship with a family member with BPD. We can do our best to not let what our family members with BPD are doing or might do to not rent space in our head, things like practicing mindfulness everyday so no emotion becomes overwhelming for so long. At the same time, we are stressed by not feeling safe. There is such a big difference in not having any contact with the  person with BPD. It was a hugh relief when my mother died even though I believe I had done all the work I could have to not be so affected by her before she died which helped me to be able to feel relieved when she died. I feel I am in the same space with my siblings that I was with my mother before she died: I am totally ready to go NC with them yet can't because of legal financial obligations and joint property owned. Not feeling safe knowing there will be contact with a family member with BPD or when there is actual contact is part of what  allows us to take appropriate actions with practice and self awareness.  I often feel sad for members who seem to have no real sense of safety because they are constantly beseiged by the behaviors of the family members with BPD, and seem to have no immediate escape. It seems that to help them, we have to hear their distress while helping them to work on building their inner resources knowing that there is always hope for things to change in our lives, as nothing ever stays the same forever.

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:38:14 PM »

https://youtu.be/kiWbBC0SouU

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest