Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to site  (Read 413 times)
1Bob2
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 08, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »

Hello.
I am separated from my wife of 7 years.. After reading “Stop Walking On Eggshells” a couple of years ago, I finally began the journey to understanding the “insanity” I have been living in. I changed the way I communicated and learned to validate her feelings. I also began to enforce my boundaries lovingly instead of saying nothing to keep the peace. There seemed to be a positive change; she began to acknowledge issues from her past and her struggles but after a few months, would slip back into the old patterns. A year ago I moved out and legally separated. Again there was some positive changes, but a few months ago, chaos again. I have now broke off contact. Expect her to make contact to try to patch things up at any time-but because I firmly broke it off, may have triggered the abandoned little girl hiding in her and may never hear from her again.  Realizing more my own issues and how much I enabled the situation. Now having to rebuild my life; was the guy whose focus was managing his relationship, now getting my own identity back. Thanks.
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »

Hey Bob, Welcome!  Your story is quite familiar.  As you suggest, the first step is to return the focus to you and your needs.  Get back to being who you are at your core.  I lost myself for a while there in my marriage to a pwBPD, which was not fun.  I pretended a lot that things were OK when they were definitely not OK.  No more.  Now I strive to be authentic.  Suggest you listen to your gut feelings.  "Become who you are," as Nietzsche put it.  You get the idea.  It sounds like you are finding your path again.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
BlueSpring

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up/estranged

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:04:09 PM »

Realizing more my own issues and how much I enabled the situation. Now having to rebuild my life; was the guy whose focus was managing his relationship, now getting my own identity back. Thanks.

This is important for you as a person.  You don't want to lose your humanity and self-worth to someone who will just keep taking and never be satisfied. 

My ex wants me to move in with her and become, for lack of a better term, her pet.  I wouldn't be allowed to have a life of my own, friends or my own, or pursue my own interests.  I wouldn't give in to that because it seems crazy and runs counter to my own well being.  So she got someone else.  A guy who for all intents and purposes is her pet.  He rarely leaves her house because he came from a different state and doesn't know anyone here, and he doesn't have job.  He just hangs around like a pet.  Still she calls me all the time and has something to complain about. 

I think that a lot of people with BPD don't realize that true love means helping them face the problem and find a long term solution instead of just enabling them. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest