Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reprocessing trauma and feelings  (Read 1464 times)
Mata

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: In contact

« on: August 12, 2020, 08:19:39 PM »

I'm at a point in therapy where I have dealt with some of the "low hanging fruit" around my BPDmom.  I've put some boundaries in place and she has mostly accepted them.  The next crisis is always looming, but overall I feel I'm doing better than I was 6 months ago, when I was absolutely falling apart under the stress of dealing with her. 

My T has suggested that to get through the next stages of healing, and hopefully address my chronic, underlying anxiety, I need to reprocess some of the difficult memories, feelings and traumas of my childhood.  I think he's right.  We talked about ways to go about it, so I have a couple of ideas.  But I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and what types of things did you do to reprocess this stuff?  Write/tell your story? Cry a lot? Meditate?

I've done some therapy in the past, and I've always stopped before getting into the deeper stuff.  I'd address the immediate problem, feel better, and go on with life.  But I know I've sold myself short, walked away too soon, and limited my healing in the process.  I'm finally at a point in my life in my mid 40s that I want more out of life, to be emotionally healthy on a deeper level.  I am ready to do the work, I'm just a little lost on figuring out what the work actually looks like. 

Goldcrest

Relationship status: No Contact

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:27:28 AM »

Excerpt
I've done some therapy in the past, and I've always stopped before getting into the deeper stuff.  I'd address the immediate problem, feel better, and go on with life.  But I know I've sold myself short, walked away too soon, and limited my healing in the process.  I'm finally at a point in my life in my mid 40s that I want more out of life, to be emotionally healthy on a deeper level.  I am ready to do the work, I'm just a little lost on figuring out what the work actually looks like. 

Mata, I think sometimes you do have to stop therapy and get on with life because the work of therapy can become exhausting. I have had periods in and periods out of therapy. In my case I felt like the therapy was a big purge and being out in life was the processing. When I ended therapy each time there would be an upswing in my life and I would get on with it with more energy but then after time I would find myself processing what we had discuss. Stuff would surface and I would sit with it against the backdrop of real life - if that makes sense.

In my case therapy tears down my defences and my anxiety skyrockets whilst in it, I cry. I can spend session after session absolutely racked with grief. My experience was always that of a child that was missing a parent, like the feeling you have as a small child when you have been abandoned somewhere. Or the feeling you get when you lose a pet you have loved very much. After a while I have to step out of therapy and let the defences rise back up because I am so tired. I then return when I feel I have a reserve of energy built up to work again.

Everyone is different so perhaps try different ways of reprocessing. Are their particular memories or images that follow you about, repeatedly surface? Are there particular events that trigger you to become very anxious?

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »

All of the ideas and advice that you listed are good. The thing is is that it can take time. Don’t rush it. Take your time with your feelings. Know what I mean? Grieving and healing is a back and forth process that shouldn’t be rushed. I’m 43, and just now learning this. I’ve submerged myself into activities and what not, but it’s been hard to stick to the routine. I’m trying to move on too fast. The routines don’t stick.

If you like your therapist, try to slow him down. There is nothing wrong with having some control in your sessions. In a positive way, of course. Are you having anxiety over talking about these things with him?

The work is mostly done by us as individuals. Depending on how toxic the situation/s were, we often need help from others.

What happened during your childhood?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:31:44 PM by JNChell » Logged

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »

You are thinking about possibly reprocessing some of your memories in therapy. There are different schools of though these days about whether it is healthy or not to revisist traumatic memories particularly if the person becomes too overwhelmed. Also there are memories that are preverbal, occuring when we were too young to have any kind of verbal narrative about what happened. I found EMDR enormously helpful in healing, and am contemplating doing it again. EMDR helps to put traumatic memories in normal files, so you have control over them, and are not plagued by flashbacks and nightmares.

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »

It’s fair to be able to revisit everything. It’s a human right.

-a new friend
Merv_Griffin

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Relationship status: no contact

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 03:58:34 PM »

Mata, I get it. I'm in a similar place trying to process trauma from childhood, and am eager to find a way through. Like Zachira suggests, I'm interested in EMDR treatment. I've also been curious about Ketamine infusions for depression/anxiety; I tried one once for a separate issue (chronic migraine), and it was a fascinating experience: one where I actually felt I was re-visiting moments from my childhood in a really nurturing, healing way. I'm a mother myself now, and could suddenly see myself as a child and feel great compassion and kindness toward that little girl who so needed stable, steady love from a mom (the kind I'm so proud to be able to provide my own kids).The challenge is that it's costly and requires paying out of pocket. I wonder if you have looked into it, or if anyone else here has tried this kind of treatment?
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 03:44:15 PM »

Hi Mata.

I have been in trauma therapy and made quite a lot of progress without EMDR.  I just mention this so you know there are other options.  For me it meant learning to be okay with being uncomfortable, often extremely uncomfortable, with my feelings and knowing and accepting that I would probably feel worse before I felt better.  Knowing it was a normal part of the process or healing to not leave the therapy office/session feeling better. 

As for how, it involved talk therapy with my T and learning grounding techniques to help me stay centered and present.  Prior to trauma therapy, I reached the point where I was dissociating and having panic attacks so often that they had become a normal part of my day.  I did not even know they were happening really or was at least unable to label it.  Therapy changed that for me.

Other things I have done over the years is writing, art work, physical activity when I could and focusing on mindfulness which also helped me stay centered and present. 

I also had no idea of what therapy was 'supposed to look like' really (though my T told me it is supposed to look like however I want it to look-- Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post) ).  I read some books about it, usually from people who wrote of their own experience.  The best one was recommended by a former mod here: 
Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder  Reading of the work she did and about her relationship with her therapist was extremely helpful.  I am not and have never been diagnosed with BPD but I do have traits (how could I not have learned behaviors?) and am diagnosed with c-PTSD which is very similar to BPD. 

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

I wish you the very best on digging deep.  It is tough and sometimes brutal work but it is worth it and the discomfort is temporary.  I used this board in conjunction with therapy too.  This is a great place to talk.  I did not post to have a discussion so much as to work things out, never imagining people would walk along side me but they did time and again.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Mata

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »

In my case therapy tears down my defences and my anxiety skyrockets whilst in it, I cry. I can spend session after session absolutely racked with grief. My experience was always that of a child that was missing a parent, like the feeling you have as a small child when you have been abandoned somewhere. Or the feeling you get when you lose a pet you have loved very much. After a while I have to step out of therapy and let the defences rise back up because I am so tired. I then return when I feel I have a reserve of energy built up to work again.

Everyone is different so perhaps try different ways of reprocessing. Are their particular memories or images that follow you about, repeatedly surface? Are there particular events that trigger you to become very anxious?

It is interesting to hear about your experience with therapy.  I tend to get less emotional and more analytical.  But I'm an over-thinker by nature.   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  I feel like I have a chronic low-level of anxiety all the time and it's hard to relax.  I feel like I'm carrying this emotional weight around, but I'm not entirely certain what it is.    I think you are right, my plan is to experiment a bit and see what happens.

Mata

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 11:16:59 PM »

All of the ideas and advice that you listed are good. The thing is is that it can take time. Don’t rush it. Take your time with your feelings. Know what I mean? Grieving and healing is a back and forth process that shouldn’t be rushed. I’m 43, and just now learning this. I’ve submerged myself into activities and what not, but it’s been hard to stick to the routine. I’m trying to move on too fast. The routines don’t stick.

If you like your therapist, try to slow him down. There is nothing wrong with having some control in your sessions. In a positive way, of course. Are you having anxiety over talking about these things with him?

My T also tells me to slow down, that this takes time.   Smiling (click to insert in post)  I'm just being impatient.  But I understand that moving too fast is counterproductive.  I don't really have anxiety talking to my T.  In the past, I've held back in therapy, but this time I have been really open and honest.

Excerpt
What happened during your childhood?

It's hard to answer that.  On one hand, a lot.  I grew up with chronic emotional abuse and neglect, in a volatile, violent household.  My mom has BPD and bipolar.  My dad is an alcoholic.  They were not good parents.  On the other hand, the violence in my home was not directed at me.  I wasn't physically or sexually abused, and there were happy points in my childhood.     
Mata

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 11:18:10 PM »

I found EMDR enormously helpful in healing, and am contemplating doing it again. EMDR helps to put traumatic memories in normal files, so you have control over them, and are not plagued by flashbacks and nightmares.

I am curious about EMDR, thanks for the reminder to look into it. 
Mata

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 11:19:31 PM »

Mata, I get it. I'm in a similar place trying to process trauma from childhood, and am eager to find a way through. Like Zachira suggests, I'm interested in EMDR treatment. I've also been curious about Ketamine infusions for depression/anxiety; I tried one once for a separate issue (chronic migraine), and it was a fascinating experience: one where I actually felt I was re-visiting moments from my childhood in a really nurturing, healing way. I'm a mother myself now, and could suddenly see myself as a child and feel great compassion and kindness toward that little girl who so needed stable, steady love from a mom (the kind I'm so proud to be able to provide my own kids).The challenge is that it's costly and requires paying out of pocket. I wonder if you have looked into it, or if anyone else here has tried this kind of treatment?

Interesting, that's a new one to me.  I'll have to look into it. 
Mata

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Please, no apologies!  Thank your for your thoughts and sharing your experience, it's really helpful!

curious quandary

Relationship status: living together

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 04:58:51 AM »

Mata,

Excerpt
I'm finally at a point in my life in my mid 40s that I want more out of life, to be emotionally healthy on a deeper level.  I am ready to do the work.

I am proud of you for taking this step and look forward to hearing more as you walk down this path.

Excerpt
We talked about ways to go about it, so I have a couple of ideas.

What are those ideas? There are a lot of good suggestions here too. Do any resonate with you? I find that I don't have too many specific memories that I can process, just anxiety/emotional flashbacks when I'm triggered. I find it's hard to heal from them when I don't understand why I'm feeling the way I do. I do find that writing helps. I read somewhere that you can write like you're having a conversation with yourself. I think it's called "mirroring." Start with the question "what do you need most right now?" and for every answer reiterate part of your response back in the form of a question. It's a way to draw yourself out.

Excerpt
My mom has BPD and bipolar.  My dad is an alcoholic.  They were not good parents.  On the other hand, the violence in my home was not directed at me.  I wasn't physically or sexually abused, and there were happy points in my childhood.

Are you sure we're not related? I have a hard time feeling like I had a traumatic childhood, but the way I behave now (hypervigilant, armored, constantly reading body language, etc.) and my reactions to things suggest otherwise. Anyway you're not alone. I'm at a similar point in trying to heal and your courage is inspiring. If sharing your story helps, I'm here to listen.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 05:41:15 PM »

Who was the abuse directed at? Obviously everyone. But having to watch is also abusive. What did you have to see? I hope that I’m not laying too much on you.

My dad was an alcoholic and a narcissist. A man child. I thought my mom had BPD until I learned that she was very co-dependent on my dad. My mom was the most hostile. She could flip out at any time and beat. My dad did the really bad stuff. My mom would sit there and take it. I’d ask for her help and I’d be left alone to deal with my dad. I understand where you’re coming from. It’s the dynamic.

My sister is a psychologist, and still feels guilt over our household dynamics.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:59:28 PM by JNChell » Logged

-a new friend
Mata

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 10:09:42 PM »

What are those ideas? There are a lot of good suggestions here too. Do any resonate with you? I find that I don't have too many specific memories that I can process, just anxiety/emotional flashbacks when I'm triggered. I find it's hard to heal from them when I don't understand why I'm feeling the way I do. I do find that writing helps. I read somewhere that you can write like you're having a conversation with yourself. I think it's called "mirroring." Start with the question "what do you need most right now?" and for every answer reiterate part of your response back in the form of a question. It's a way to draw yourself out.
I think I'm going to try writing. I do a lot of writing for work, so I'm comfortable with it.  I want to be intentional about it though.  I need to set aside some time, alone.  I don't think this is going to be fun or particularly relaxing writing.  Mirroring sounds like an interesting experiment.  I may try telling stories in the third person, I think that could bring out some different insights.

I have a lot of very vivid memories of places, sounds, smells, people, timelines, etc.  I can close my eyes and walk through my childhood house room by room.  I an describe the colors of the furniture, pictures on the walls, etc.  But the emotions that go along with my visual memories are more muted and tucked away.       

Excerpt
Are you sure we're not related? I have a hard time feeling like I had a traumatic childhood, but the way I behave now (hypervigilant, armored, constantly reading body language, etc.) and my reactions to things suggest otherwise. Anyway you're not alone. I'm at a similar point in trying to heal and your courage is inspiring. If sharing your story helps, I'm here to listen.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  Until I started therapy last fall, I did not consider my childhood traumatic.  My T talks about big "T" trauma and "t" trauma, and I see it now.  It's actually been distressing to admit to myself that I did experience trauma and emotional abuse.   I wanted to believe that I rose above a hard childhood and came out unscathed.   (hello denial!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post))   And then last fall, after my mom moved to my town, she emotionally flattened me, again.  I felt like a little kid all over.  I was lost and hurting and realized that something was super wrong and I had to find a way to change.  Then about two months ago, my dad emotionally trampled me, out of the blue.  And my eyes got opened a little wider to recognizing that my parents' behavior is part of an ongoing pattern of emotional abuse. 
Mata

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 10:31:27 PM »

Who was the abuse directed at? Obviously everyone. But having to watch is also abusive. What did you have to see? I hope that I’m not laying too much on you.
No, not too much.  My mom was very suicidal during my childhood.  Sometimes she would run out of the house with a shotgun, shouting obscenities at my dad and me. Or she would speed off in the car saying she was going to drive off the mountain.  (There was a steep mountain road just outside of town). I would sit up all night watching for headlights on our street like a hawk, hoping they were her car.  I often worried about coming home from school and finding her body.  After I moved away for college, she slit her wrists in front of my little sister, but survived.  My dad traveled for work a lot.  When he was home, he was drunk or high and would beat my mom.  She locked him out of the house one time, and he broke out all the windows on the front of our house.  He literally bit her ear off one night.  I called the police several times, because I thought he was going to kill her.  He would end up in jail, I'd get the blame.  When I was very small maybe 3 or 4, I remember jumping on her lap when he was hitting her so that he would stop.

Excerpt

My dad was an alcoholic and a narcissist. A man child. I thought my mom had BPD until I learned that she was very co-dependent on my dad. My mom was the most hostile. She could flip out at any time and beat. My dad did the really bad stuff. My mom would sit there and take it. I’d ask for her help and I’d be left alone to deal with my dad. I understand where you’re coming from. It’s the dynamic.
Yep, two immature, sick people, who were totally unequipped to handle parenthood, and who brought out each other's worst qualities was a bad bad dynamic.  Honestly, I'm shocked my parents survived their marriage.  They divorced 20 years ago or so.   

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 10:53:19 PM »

Holy PLEASE READ! I just finished reading your story.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 10:56:59 PM »

It’s gonna take a while. I imagine that you’re feeling wild anger right now. Quite honestly, I’m glad that you found this place.

Or, I could be very wrong and a stupid boy. Which is it?

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »

have a lot of very vivid memories of places, sounds, smells, people, timelines, etc.  I can close my eyes and walk through my childhood house room by room.  I an describe the colors of the furniture, pictures on the walls, etc.  But the emotions that go along with my visual memories are more muted and tucked away.       

You have a deep sense of your feelings and memories. I should’ve paid attention a little better.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 11:07:00 PM »

What feelings and emotions do you want to talk about? For real. The shift I have leaves me open. Seriously, you found a good place:

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 11:09:37 PM »

What about those feelings and colors?

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 11:20:29 PM »

I remember seeing yellow when my mom beat me with a board. My walls were yellow. I would try to block the board with my hands, but my knuckles would have feathers.

Those feelings and colors. I wish that I could hug you right now and take you for a walk around the little town that I live in.

My parents should’ve divorced. Not sure it would’ve been better. I just remember the screaming. My mom’s voice. Not because she was hurt, just because she was screaming.

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 11:27:09 PM »

I’m sorry that you had to see that. What a PLEASE READty way to treat a child and raise a brain.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:37:53 PM by JNChell » Logged

-a new friend
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 11:39:59 PM »

Well, would you like to talk more? I won’t leave you hanging.

-a new friend
Methuen

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 01:54:30 AM »

Excerpt
My T has suggested that to get through the next stages of healing, and hopefully address my chronic, underlying anxiety, I need to reprocess some of the difficult memories, feelings and traumas of my childhood... We talked about ways to go about it... But I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and what types of things did you do to reprocess this stuff?  Write/tell your story? Cry a lot? Meditate?
First let me say I am sorry for the emotional pain you experienced.  The things you shared in your story are rough Mata.  Lots to process there.  My experiences were very different than yours.  But, to use your expression, I've also sort of dealt also with the "low hanging fruit".  Crying yes.  I also had a screaming bout when I was alone in my car at night where nobody could see or hear me (a remote road without traffic  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)).  Perhaps it wasn't the best situation to let it all out but I was on my way to spend the night at my mom's because the hospital had discharged her without an after care plan, leaving the responsibility with me to stay with her (I lost my voice for a few days over that one), but honestly letting it out was really really good. I was not "fit" or in a "place" emotionally where I could be overnight at her house, and I was ANGRY at the doctors/hospital for forcing me into that situation.  It was a worst case scenario.  Finding a safe way to "let it all out" can be therapeutic.  A deserted house or forest might be a better place than a road whilst driving to let it all out though... After I was back home (after staying at my mom's), my scream session felt cathartic.  Honestly - I don't think holding it in or stuffing it would have been helpful for me or my H!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Like you, I have spent a lot of time at a computer, so a project I have started is to write my story.  I write a chapter per "event".  I don't have a plan to do anything with the story.  It's just for me - my truth.  It's just my way to "process".    I wrote my first chapter about 2 months ago.  I'll get to the next chapter when I'm ready.  Who knows when that will be.  I'm trying to do my writing in a way that reflects my innocence at the time, and get inside the "mind" of myself at each particular age, and tell the story from that perspective.  I don't want it to be a rant, but more of a "revelation".  Journalling may be more appealing for some people. For people who aren't writers, but may be artists, sketching or painting could also be a way to "process".  Or maybe clay, or construction, or metal art?  I've also taken up yoga.  I wasn't really the yoga type  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) (for anyone who knew me), but I tried it, and discovered it has a LOT of merit (helps with flexibility as well as mindfulness).  I don't do any crazy yoga pretzel stuff.  For those that do, they're the gurus of yoga.  I'm just a "normal" yoga-ist.  Just the nice slow breathing poses for me.  It's super centering and calming. I do a ton of reading.  I'm having trouble keeping up with my reading club books, because I always have a book on the go about BPD or related.  My next book is "The Body Knows the Score" (thanks Zachira), hence the yoga (to deal with body pain issues).  I've taken up a new hobby (to explore, get messy, be creative, have fun, and maybe build some confidence - I believe this process of learning a new hobby can also help us to process.  I talk to my T, so talk therapy I guess.  I also try to be physically active as much as possible, especially when I'm in a negative frame of mind, because for me that re-channels the negative energy into positive energy and releases endorphins which make me feel better, and I think I do a better job of "processing" when I'm not in a really negative frame of mind.  If you saw me you could see that I would make a really lousy boxer, so I stick to outdoor activities in nature as much as possible.  I also spend a lot of time on this forum, which helps me to process.  Finally, I think the therapy we do can kind of change and morph as we go, and as we grow, and as our needs change.  Honestly, I think therapy could be different for everyone.  It's just a matter of trying things, and figuring out what works for each of us.    

I'm not sure if that's helpful, or what you're looking for Mata.  Whatever you try, I wish you well on the journey, and peace in the present and future Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:06:56 AM by Methuen » Logged
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 02:27:24 AM »

I’m sorry for my constant questions and comments. Sometimes I just go. I’m trying to be patient and work on that. I don’t mean to seam like I’m pushing. I just go on sometimes and that doesn’t help you. I apologize.

-a new friend
curious quandary

Relationship status: living together

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 06:01:10 AM »

Excerpt
I have a lot of very vivid memories of places, sounds, smells, people, timelines, etc.  I can close my eyes and walk through my childhood house room by room.  I can describe the colors of the furniture, pictures on the walls, etc.  But the emotions that go along with my visual memories are more muted and tucked away.

Maybe you could start with that. Write about all of the fine details of a certain location and see where that takes you. You may gain enough momentum to start unlocking feelings. If you start with a traumatic event your defense mechanisms may kick into high gear.

Excerpt
My T talks about big "T" trauma and "t" trauma, and I see it now.  It's actually been distressing to admit to myself that I did experience trauma and emotional abuse. I wanted to believe that I rose above a hard childhood and came out unscathed.

Yes my T has mentioned something similar as well. Being a geek I like to think it's sort of like material fatigue damage. Bend a paperclip too much a couple of times and you can snap it in two ("T").  Or tiny stresses over a long period of time to something like an airplane ("t") can cause something to fail as well. That makes it easier for me to accept I guess, although I'm still clinging to denial a good part of the time.

I don't think anyone here has come out unscathed. Maybe accepting our scars makes us "more real," authentic, compassionate, interesting, stronger, etc. I have no idea but it feels better to believe that.

Wow, you have gone through some difficult  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post)! I can't imagine. My heart goes out to you. But you're here with people who support you and you're making progress. This shows considerable strength. Take it slowly. I know it's hard. I am trying to rush the process as well. I think "let's get this healing nonsense over with and get on with life." It doesn't work like that though.

Methuen, those are great suggestions!

This isn't practical during covid but, I will add that I've found martial arts to be very cathartic as well. It's a way to take out your frustrations in a friendly environment.
Mata

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 09:02:33 PM »

Holy PLEASE READ! I just finished reading your story.

I struggle with judging my childhood experience, so this response was actually really validating.   Thanks.

My parents should’ve divorced. Not sure it would’ve been better. I just remember the screaming. My mom’s voice. Not because she was hurt, just because she was screaming.

I wanted mine to divorce as soon as I was old enough to understand what divorce was.  I remember thinking, "you mean my parents don't have to live together?  yes do that!"  I even remember wondering if I could divorce them. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  I don't actually know if it would have made things better... they would have been different for sure, but probably just a different shade of bad.  My mom is a lousy judge of character, I can only imagine she would have exposed me to worse men than my dad. 

I remember the screaming too, so much, all the time.  My mom had had to have surgery on her vocal cords from all her yelling.  She doesn't full-on scream like that anymore.  But she still gets loud, and has a very mean, edgy tone to her voice, when she's disregulating.  I can't stand it.  My brother describes it as her being possessed, and that's a good description.  It makes me physically ill.  My dad is a screamer too. 

It’s gonna take a while. I imagine that you’re feeling wild anger right now. Quite honestly, I’m glad that you found this place.
The wild anger has subsided.  When I was younger, I was full of pent up rage.  I used to scream and yell and throw things.  I felt out of control a lot in my teens and early 20s.  For sure, I'm still angry now, but it's different.  I'm in control, and can keep myself out of the red-zone.  Lifting weights and doing martial arts has helped a ton with focusing that negative energy in a healthier way.         
Mata

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 09:04:32 PM »

I'm not sure if that's helpful, or what you're looking for Mata.  Whatever you try, I wish you well on the journey, and peace in the present and future Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  

Thank you!  It is helpful!   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Mata

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 09:11:45 PM »

Maybe you could start with that. Write about all of the fine details of a certain location and see where that takes you. You may gain enough momentum to start unlocking feelings. If you start with a traumatic event your defense mechanisms may kick into high gear.

This is a good idea, will tuck it away for when I sit down to write. 

Excerpt
I think "let's get this healing nonsense over with and get on with life." It doesn't work like that though.
Are you in my head?   I have had the same thought!  Patience is HARD.

Excerpt
This isn't practical during covid but, I will add that I've found martial arts to be very cathartic as well. It's a way to take out your frustrations in a friendly environment.

Oh yes, for sure!  I practice jiu jitsu and miss it tremendously.  I have a punching bag in my  basement, and have found it is a good outlet for work stress.  Maybe I ought to think about some childhood memories and then go hit my bag.  hmm...   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest