Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:45:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did your BPD ex ever refer to themselves in the 3rd person?  (Read 1269 times)
jaded7

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: unclear

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »

This whole string is enlightening to me. My wife always wants me to drive, but then complains non-stop about it, calling it dangerous, saying I make her car sick, calling me irresponsible for driving like I'm the only one if the car instead of driving like my family was in the car. Driving is a direct control activity, so while it might make sense that someone with BPD would react this way, it didn't help my understanding of how to deal with and react to it because the thought process that goes into it is so foreign to me. All it feels like is arbitrary berating and mistrust which is damaging to any relationship.

I haven't been able to make sense of any of my wife's behavior for a long time, but I internalized it because I cared about her and wanted to provide for her the best I could. I tired to keep the peace and took responsibility where I should not have. I've withstood all the treatment I've read about - anger at driving, rejection of gifts that I put time and effort into planning, disrespectful communication, and worse. I realize now that my efforts to make things better only worsened them. That seems to be a common thread with the non-BPDs until they realize what is happening.

The troubling thing for me is seeing so many posters who have separated from their BPD partner as an outcome. Please understand that I am not being judgmental here: I respect everyone's choices and everyone's experience is their own. It is troubling to me because I am brand new to my enlightenment about BPD and am hoping that there is another viable path because I care for my wife and would like to get her the help she needs to ground herself and release her from the daily prison of fear and anxiety that BPD may be creating for her, and I have children who need a stable parent in their lives.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel that doesn't involve separation?

We had similar experiences. Rejection of gifts, taking blame where we shouldn't have. Not being able to make sense of the behavior...crazy making blame shifts, crazy making shifting of goalposts, crazy making gaslighting (I never said that, or we talked all about it for 3 months, those kinds of things you know are just completely untrue).

I was screamed at for an hour for making her birthday the "sh*ttiest ever", for giving her a 'stupid card' and and a "sh*tty gift that I got in a the checkout line at the grocery store" (not true), "putting zero effort and planning into her birthday" and "now she had to cover up for me to all her friends".

And get this...

PRECISELY 5 weeks before, she completely forgot my birthday. She had spent 10 months planning a 3 week trip to Europe, down to the hour for each day, knowing it was over my birthday, and did exactly zero planning or effort, nothing for me...no card dropped off before she left, no gift left to open on my birthday, no gift or card sent from Europe to arrive before my birthday, an hour long call ON my birthday and by the end I realized she didn't even remember it was my birthday. I gently, lovingly told her that I think she must have forgotten it was my birthday and I didn't want her to feel bad when she realized it later. Really, that was my concern, for her...that she wouldn't feel embarrassed. I didn't care, honestly and truly...my Dad forgot my birthday too and I told her that to make her feel better. And by the way, I was taking care of her dog for free to save her $800 in dog boarding fees, taking her for 3 walks a day, even though I'm allergic to her. Oh, and did I mention that before the trip to Europe she told me she had discovered that "she was going to .25 miles from her ex-boyfriend, I might stop by and say hello to him." She was able to look up an ex bf, calculate the distance to his place, but not get a card for me before she left? BTW, I got up very early in the am to take her and her son to the airport for that trip, that's the trip where I became the "sh*ttiest driver ever" and "I'm never going to ride with you again." She never once in 2 years offered to take me to or pick me up from the airport, I took Ubers for $30 or the train that took 2 hours. Not once.

Yep all true, then she shreds me to pieces 5 weeks later when I actually tried to do something nice and kind and remembered her birthday. BTW, 15 months after the first birthday of hers with us together I called the foot spa where I bought her an $85 treatment to see if she used it. Guess what? She never used it.

And so... you come here and learn that trying to talk sense to them when they are ramped up, staying calm and presenting the facts, or defending yourself from unjust accusations or lies, just provokes them worse. It's because you believe the facts will calm her down, or she'll listen to the facts. This is because you live in a fact-based world and and would acknowledge when someone presents you with facts that you are wrong. You project that kind of self-awareness onto her, I did the same thing.

I highly recommend you read the book The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans. She helped me immeasurably to make some sense of this. You are essentially operating in different worlds.

So it is shocking to come here and learn that we did the EXACT wrong thing. But, read more from those who are in relationships with pwBPD. They all say it HARD, draining, painful.

Plus, you can't blame yourself for not knowing what to do. How were you supposed to know? You couldn't.

When she ditched me at Christmas, after ghosting me again for 5 days, humiliating me in front of her family, after ghosting me several times in the previous months (and I had weeks before told her how hurtful and invalidating it was, how painful it was for her to ignore me for days..I did it perfectly, calmly, gently, lovingly...she acknowledged she'd been doing that intentionally then immediately turned it around on me and started putting me down, ramping up until she is extremely angry and belittling and out of control, storms  out of the store) then she loves me 3 days later, then she ghosts me again...

Sitting at home on Christmas morning alone with her present, not having heard from her in several days, I finally had had enough.

Yes, I still love her. Yes, I still feel for her and miss her. But I simply cannot talk to her about this stuff...she reverses and attacks. She blames and belittles. She denies and shifts. It's impossible to talk to her about anything that she might have done. She gaslights, she yells for hours. She lies.

So, when she called on Jan 1 last year, first time I hear from her in a week...I sent her a text that said I'm trying to stay calm and centered and wasn't up for talking with her tonight. She never responded to that, and I didn't chase her.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:22:30 PM by jaded7 » Logged
Andy1963

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: No contact

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »

Being flooded today with memories, good and bad
Strange that I can go days without thinking too much then all of a sudden my head fills with things
Despite me reading and researching and gaining understanding of the condition and how it effected me, I still want to scream in her face 'why?'
Why do that to me after everything I gave and how much I put into making her happy and holding her up when she was drowning, she repeatedly told me back then how lost she would have been without me
Yet the truth is, I know 'why'
The condition is 'why', it is all consuming
So many memories of times we were out together, for a meal or just for drinks and she always always started something out of nothing
Maybe I said something in a tone she didn't like and it was like lighting the touch paper. Her angry eyes would be the first indication, then a few irrational comments and I knew it was brewing
I remember how volatile it became, how I always had the ' walking on eggshells' feeling at all times
My response evolved to going quiet, the silence then allowed her to calm
Then apologies, always littered with self justification, as if I had deliberately set out to upset her, I never did, I actively worked to avoid these situations, and I often told her so, maybe a mistake
It was madness in its truest sense, on reflection, I knew it was crazy, why did I keep forgiving, knowing it was bound to happen again and again, and it did
grumpydonut

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 07:06:07 AM »

Excerpt
'why?'

Excerpt
we were out together, for a meal or just for drinks and she always always started something out of nothing

Excerpt
as if I had deliberately set out to upset her

Andy, hopefully this is something you haven't heard before. Yes, you are correct when you say it's the illness that explains the why. But to go deeper into some of the above, none of that was about you.

The borderline person unknowingly identifies in her weakness. Her identity is found in feelings of worthlessness, rejection, abandonment and being dominated. On a conscious level, she will scream and shout that she doesn't want to feel these emotions, yet you consistently saw her (like we all did) do things that will lead her to falling back into these emotions. Why?

The answer is found in the subconscious. Throughout her upbringing these feelings were thrust open her - maybe by an engulfing parent or a neglectful one - and she formed an attachment to these feelings. These feelings make her feel her, and she identifies with them. When you see a borderline beneath the veneer of their mirroring, you see a miserable human who doesn't seem to want help. Why? Because while they fear feeling negative emotions on a conscious level, they have a subconscious attachment to them. That explains a lot of the "why".

Why do they feel abandoned even after they've discarded you? Because they want to.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:15:27 AM by grumpydonut » Logged
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 11:30:00 AM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit and has been locked. The discussion continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=347113.0

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest