Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:27:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confronting the reality of the abuse  (Read 367 times)
AnonAnf

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: December 17, 2020, 05:12:28 AM »

I'm feeling anxious at the moment. I'm away that I am anxious because my eyelid is twitching. It will stop eventually, I've rode this path before.

Anxious because I am moving from denial and accepting the reality and the scope of the abuse from my wife.

Today I stopped excusing her behaviour, stopped trying to justify it and labelled it for how harmful it was. She has stated to the police that I threatened to kill myself. I didn't - I asked her for support and let her know that I was having suicidal thoughts. I begged her for support, I broke down in front of her, I desperately wanted the same love for myself as I'd been pouring out for her. But she has rendered that event in her mind as I threatened her.

She stated to the police that I threatened to kill her. I didn't - I said to her that separating was the right choice for us because I had gotten to the point of having those suicidal thoughts, and that I was scared for her own mental health - worried that she'd kill herself.

She said to me that I was emotionally traumatic for her. "Emotionally traumatic for her" in those last week leading up to us separating because I was expressing my needs and my vulnerabilities.

I recognised today for the first time that I ended up in a relationship with a woman who embodied the harmful traits of the people who abused me when I was growing up. This unfinished business of experiencing abuse as a kid from my brother and my Dad (both of whom had anger management problems and both of whom were perpetrators of domestic violence). I enmeshed myself with a woman who is emotionally ill and let her perpetrate domestic violence against me.

From this point, I'm allowing myself to process all this pain and release it. I am making the choice to not go back into that relationship. I allow myself to be free from the opinions and beliefs of others - they weren't there, they don't feel the impact I suffer from. I'm even free from those who would support me in this choice - I'm not motivated by their opinion either.

I make this choice for me.
So Done

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Newly broken up

Newly ended decade long relationship with BPD-exbf

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »

Hello Anon. I'm sorry you've been dealing with all of this emotional abuse, and the fact that things have worsened since you shared that you were having suicidal ideation and were asking for support. At a time when you probably needed her the most, she not only wasn't there for you, she made things much worse. Amazing how they can do that.
BPD relationships can really tear you apart. I have been with my BPD-exbf for almost a decade, with several recycles, and it's wrecked me. But I'm away from him now for good, and working on recovering.
Good for you that you're making this decision. Sounds like you are determined, and are standing up for yourself, whether or not you have support or criticism from others. Stay strong!

You are enough.
icntblvethis

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 02:27:53 AM »

It’s so so hard, I’m sorry. Godspeed
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »

Hi Anonanf,

Wow you have a lot going on there. I’m sorry that you’re going through this. Despite your hardships you have decided that you want a different path than your FOO. I’m looking forward to reading more of your posts.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest