Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long distance relationship with isolated BPD Mother  (Read 356 times)
Tank!
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Other
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Long Distance

« on: January 04, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »

Hi, this is my first post here. My story is long but I’ll try and make it brief and current.

I’m an only child and have lived with my Mom through my adult life. I moved and am living on my own but there continues to be toxicity in our relationship. I believe due to COVID and further isolation (her isolation was going on prior to COVID) that her symptoms have dramatically worsened.

She has my cat, as she initially sold the house we were living him (bankruptcy situation) and my temporary housing wouldn’t allow pets. Now that I can have pets and she told me I could have her when I’m situated. Now she is refusing. She became hostile and said I’d be taking her away, “the one thing keeping her sane”. My cat is a senior with health issues and my Mom doesn’t properly care for her and (for lack of a better word) see’s her as company or a commodity. She refuses to pay for food or any care. Won’t take her to the vet. I am expected to pay for it all and travel over an hour away just to take her to the vet for a simple med check.

I’d be fine if she was contributing to her needs but she isn’t. Though it pains me to be away from my cat (had her since she was a kitten) I wouldn’t want her to be alone in my apt all day either. Right now I just care about keeping her happy and healthy but can’t place my trust in my Mom as she is negligent with her own self care. Despite claiming “she takes better care of my cat then herself”.

I am dealing with my own emotional issues right now and am trying to save money and acquire extra work to pay for therapy I desperately need for PTSD, childhood trauma, and OCD and live comfortably. Yet I receive emails from my Mom constantly and if I don’t respond she threatens me. She belittles my situation and lays guilt upon me. Her demeanor has always been hot/cold and it stunted my social life and emotional state. I need the distance to heal but she needs emotional support I can’t provide and it pains me. It pains me to know how much she hurts but I need to live my life, too.

We don’t talk on the phone these days as she provokes confrontation and yells at me. What is the solution to this and how do I have a healthy relationship with my Mom while maintaining my well being? Nothing I say to her is ever right. She had high expectations for me and says no one cares for me yet she refuses to seek help. She critiques me down to the way I write in emails and the inflection in my voice.

I deeply care for my Mom, and want a relationship with her. I forgive her and want what’s best but I have my own issues in life that are preventing me from moving forward.
beatricex

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:39:03 AM »

hi Tank!,
I think the first step is writing it all down on a site like this, and letting others' know how you feel, that get it.

You have just done that, and I like to respond so at least people know they were heard.  It's extremely brave of you to admit to yourself that your Mom has done some damage, and that you would like more help.  First step.

I have a borderline mom and 5 siblings, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who's been through therapy.  How they got through it without professional help?  I really don't know.  Many of us suffer from complex PTSD, and I know personally I dissociate a lot.  More than I want to.  It is a reaction to trauma from my childhood.  When things get stressful, I find I do this more.  I have good years and bad years, I guess.

It's tough for you because you're an only child.

I think just taking that first huge big step, you will find relief, but do try to get to a therapist too.  Personally, I found hypnotherapy most useful, but recently I learned that not all hypnotherapists practice the same in all states.  I didn't even realize that in the state I currently live in, they are not allowed to give counseling.  Well, that was what helped me the most, so very strange to hear it.

Sorry about your cat, that is tough too.

b
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »

I am admiring your courage in moving into your own place and facing the challenges you have. My brothers lived with my mom with BPD: one died in her house and the other one took care of mom until she passed away. You are facing the pain while still being kind to your mother as you continue to set healthier boundaries with her. It can be hard to try to make a mother happy who continues to try to get you to come back and live with her, and makes you responsible for how she feels. Perhaps the most important thing to change in your relationship with your mother is how much space you allow your mother's feelings to rent in your head. Your feelings are every bit as important as your mother's. You are very deserving of having your own space and peace of mind.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:58:25 AM by zachira » Logged

Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »

Wow, first of all, congratulations for moving out to your own place and independence.  I can imagine that was hugely challenging because of how your BPD mom may have responded to that change.  I understand your genuine concerns about your mom's well being living independently, and with Covid.  I have a similar situation. My mom is 84 with many complex health disorders, and I am an only child living in the same town as her, with my H.

She has my cat, as she initially sold the house we were living him (bankruptcy situation) and my temporary housing wouldn’t allow pets. Now that I can have pets and she told me I could have her when I’m situated. Now she is refusing. She became hostile and said I’d be taking her away, “the one thing keeping her sane”. My cat is a senior with health issues and my Mom doesn’t properly care for her and (for lack of a better word) see’s her as company or a commodity. She refuses to pay for food or any care. Won’t take her to the vet. I am expected to pay for it all and travel over an hour away just to take her to the vet for a simple med check.
I have an idea which you might be able to consider.  First of all, what she is doing is wrong.  It's classic abuse to hold the pet hostage to control you.  Your cat suffers for it.  Many Women's Shelter's will have "pet rooms" so that the woman fleeing abuse can bring her pet with her, just for this reason.  So my idea is this: Purchase a new younger cat (kitty litter trained).  Meanwhile, make the necessary Vet appt for your cat.  Pick your cat up for the Vet appt, and then take your cat home with you and keep it.  It's your cat.  She gets the new younger cat!  Maybe you could even find one that looks similar.  That way she still has a pet for company, but not one that has so many health needs.  Not sure if this idea has merit for your situation, but maybe something to think about.  Another option is to pick up the cat for the Vet appt, and then re-home the cat, if you think the cat shouldn't spend too much time alone.

Yet I receive emails from my Mom constantly and if I don’t respond she threatens me. She belittles my situation and lays guilt upon me. Her demeanor has always been hot/cold and it stunted my social life and emotional state. I need the distance to heal but she needs emotional support I can’t provide and it pains me. It pains me to know how much she hurts but I need to live my life, too.
 I can so empathize with this.  My mom emails and texts me like this too.  We all understand hot/cold on this board.  It pains me to know how much my mom hurts too, but you are right that we all need to live our life.  You mentioned you are going to start therapy.  This is fantastic.  Hopefully your therapist is a good fit for you.  Be sure to find one who has experience with BPD.  Sometimes it's like car shopping - a few test drives might be needed.

Excerpt
We don’t talk on the phone these days as she provokes confrontation and yells at me. What is the solution to this and how do I have a healthy relationship with my Mom while maintaining my well being? Nothing I say to her is ever right. She had high expectations for me and says no one cares for me yet she refuses to seek help. She critiques me down to the way I write in emails and the inflection in my voice.
You are describing my mom.  She is probably emotionally dysregulating because you have moved away and she doesn't have the tools to deal with the intensity of her emotions.  Don't try to fix those feelings for her.  As you know, you can't.  In my experience, the best thing to do is give her time to self-soothe.  As much time as she needs.  Validate her feelings (validating doesn't mean you agree), use SET, don't JADE, all the usual tools we use (available on this website).  Ignore the emails/texts designed to push your buttons, and reward any email that doesn't do that.  Don't respond to an email instantly, but take lots of time (maybe days) to plan and think about a response that uses the tools mentioned above.  Definitely don't respond to the emails that threaten you, because responding to those, is rewarding her behavior of sending you threatening emails, which means you will get more of them.

If you wanted, you could write out a copy of an email she sent to you, and a draft of your response using the tools mentioned, and post on the site here, and then we could make suggestions to help with your response.  Just an idea.

Excerpt
I deeply care for my Mom, and want a relationship with her. I forgive her and want what’s best but I have my own issues in life that are preventing me from moving forward.
Right! And you have an amazing start by moving to your own independent residence.  Congratulations for making that move! Way to go! (click to insert in post) It sounds like you have a great plan in place (including saving money for a T). So stay strong with your plan.  Find a T when you are able, keep posting on our site, and know that you are not alone. You are doing great work! Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:11:15 PM by Methuen » Logged
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »

I'd take the cat and perhaps get a bonus kitty to keep her or him company.  Your mom can get and neglect her own comfort animal. Save your kitteh.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest