Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 05:07:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating disorders  (Read 372 times)
Arabella12
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Engaged

« on: March 26, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »

Hi I’m new to BPD my fiancé’s 13 year old boy and his ex have it.  My question is about eating disorders. He is extremely skinny and very picky. He will only eat pasta, bread, meat, and sweets. I realized it’s about control for him but I also feel it’s contributing to his depression. He isn’t getting the right nutrition. With children like this do you push them to eat more fruits and veggies or allow them to have control? I’m tempted to buy whatever he likes and let him cook so he has complete control and then give him vitamins and try not to worry. For him I think it’s a texture thing and can barely swallow fruits and veggies unless they are blended. We have tried smoothies and blended soups but it’s such a fight. He blows up, yells, and cries. I’m wondering if we give him the control in this area will it help overall? It’s coming to the point where he hates me and I’m the enemy. I was just trying to help him feel better but maybe I’m approaching it the wrong way. I would love some help! Thank you
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:01:48 PM »

Hi Arabella12,

Welcome

I’d like to welcome you to BPDFamily. Is he diagnosed with  BPD? I was going say the same thing with textures. Have you talked to a pediatrician?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:22:00 PM »

Hey Arabella12, welcome  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Kudos to you for caring about your fiance's son. Sounds like he's been dealt a tough hand. You mention that both your fiance's ex (I'm assuming fiance's son's mom?) and son have BPD? Could you share a little more about the road/diagnosis with S13 (son age 13)? Could help us to learn if it's more "he has traits but nothing official" versus "his psychiatrist gave him the diagnosis last year" type stuff.

Re eating disorders, so glad you recognize that boys can suffer as well. That would not be surprising if S13 were perhaps struggling there. EDs can manifest in any number of (sometimes weird) ways of varying severity.

Has S13 been evaluated for an ED by his doctor? How are his growth charts?

One ED that is a "less severe" ED that comes to mind is SED or Selective Eating Disorder. Often associated with textures/flavors of food and not necessarily (though could be) with abnormal weight. The fact that he sticks to carbs/meat makes me wonder. With SED, growth charts are key. PLEASE run this by his doctor, but from what I've learned, if SED is in play but he has normal growth, then give everyone a round of applause for keeping him alive and wait it out.

Don't hesitate to reach out to ED clinics in your area, or even try a phone/zoom consult with ones out of your area, to get more info. Getting more info can help you and your fiance decide when it's "quirky, picky, and frustrating, but survivable" versus "time for inpatient". I recommend https://kartiniclinic.com/ as they only treat children. Disclaimer, I'm an alumna  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Write back whenever works for you;

kells76
Arabella12
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Engaged

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 08:14:36 AM »

Hi thank you for writing back! The mother was diagnosed a few years ago. The sons behavior was so extreme to me and I knew nothing about BPD. I started reading about it and to me it was clear. It took awhile to convince the dad to seek help. We live in Costa Rica and finally found someone who treats children! He hasn’t been seen yet. My fear is he will get very upset. How do you approach a child like this?

I definitely see the selective eating disorder thing. I didn’t know it had a name! He is putting on weight since being with us. He is not in danger of dying. You can see his ribs but he surfs and skates. I don’t know the best way of handling it. Do you allow him complete control over food or will that make it worse?
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »

Excerpt
The mother was diagnosed a few years ago. The sons behavior was so extreme to me and I knew nothing about BPD. I started reading about it and to me it was clear. It took awhile to convince the dad to seek help. We live in Costa Rica and finally found someone who treats children! He hasn’t been seen yet.

Hey again, thanks for filling in some of the back story. OK, so your fiance's son's mom has a diagnosis, and as you did more research and learned about the constellation of BPD behaviors, you looked at S13's actions and thought, Gee, that would make sense of a lot. Yes?

What are some of his more challenging behaviors?

As far as I've understood, professionals (at least in the USA) are reticent to diagnose the under-18 set with BPD, mostly because the brain is still developing so much in that age range. That being said, other professionals suggest that there is a difference that can be see between "teen" acting out behaviors, and "BPD" acting out behaviors in teens. Have you read anything by Blaise Aguirre? He wrote a book called "BPD in Adolescents" ( https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=65571.0 ) -- could be a good resource for you.

Some members here discuss the non-official concept of "fleas" -- you know how your cat can have fleas, and is the source of fleas, but then if it's really bad, the fleas jump on to other pets, and then those pets have fleas? It can be like that with children around a BPD adult/parent. The child isn't necessarily the "source" of the BPD type behaviors (i.e. the child doesn't necessarily have BPD), but those behaviors from the adult rub off on the child (that's what the adult models to them), so the kids start doing that stuff: blaming, raging, yelling, defiance, lying, tantrums, etc.

All that to say, good idea to find someone who treats children (I'm assuming for BPD, and not ED's?) -- any chance you and your fiance can meet with the person first, before bringing S13? Could give you an idea of whether it's a helpful road to pursue. Understandable that S13 could be resistant/angry... so, finding out ahead of time if the practitioner is a good one, by meeting in person, could help.

Eating disorders...

Excerpt
I definitely see the selective eating disorder thing. I didn’t know it had a name! He is putting on weight since being with us. He is not in danger of dying. You can see his ribs but he surfs and skates.

Yes, SED could be a fit, as could something called ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder). My non-professional understanding of the distinction is that SED-ers are about "sure, I'll eat, it's just only these 6 things", while ARFID-er's have more of the "classic" ED food refusal/food intake restriction behaviors. SED is maybe more about what the kid WILL eat and ARFID may be about what the kid WON'T eat. Again, a professional hearing a history of S13 will know better. Could even be something else... but these options give you something to discuss with a doctor. Here's a link to a Kartini Clinic blog post about SED: https://kartiniclinic.com/blog/post/selective-eating1/ -- you can see if it rings true.

Excerpt
I don’t know the best way of handling it.

Are you guys able to be in touch with his primary care doctor? Or has his mom co-opted that? At least here in our state in the USA, even the non-custodial parent has rights to medical records. And, even as a stepmom, I was pretty darn close to talking my way into making dentist appointments for the kids. So, you both may have more leverage than you think to get an assessment from his doctor.

Does S13's mom think he has a problem?

In terms of what to do, big picture... don't hesitate to reach out to clinics (here's the Kartini Clinic contact info link: https://kartiniclinic.com/about-kartini-clinic/contact-us/ ), even not in Costa Rica, and just describe your situation. Each child is different so you might get feedback anywhere from "have his doctor check him out, and if he's not losing weight, you guys are fine" to "that is more serious than it seems, and he needs to go to the hospital".

In terms of what to do in the day-to-day, like you asked about complete control versus you managing food -- again, it's a tough one, that depends on each individual situation. Are there any other food-related behaviors that you notice or suspect from S13 -- hiding food, skipping meals, obsessions with cookbooks/cooking shows, making food but not eating it, going to the bathroom after meals, not using butter... anything where you've been like "huh, that's... odd"? Overexercising, any verbiage related to "I have to do more sit-ups/I need to do my workout"? Obsession with muscle, shape, fitness? Negative description of own body?

I think it really boils down to -- is he still growing? Weight loss is not normal in kids, so that's where I'd start, as that's the most "emergency" of all the indicators. But, even if he is still growing, it's possible to have an ED at the same time, so you're doing a good job having your "radar" up. Having him not lose weight buys you some time to look into any other food/exercise behaviors and seek help if needed. If he does have an ED that requires help, yeah, he's going to be mad -- I was when I had to go get treatment as a teen. But his anger/insistence level wouldn't be an indication that he's OK.

Lots to process! I'll wrap up for now...

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest