Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 04:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it ever get easier?  (Read 968 times)
Breakingpoint13

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: May 23, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »

So I finally walked away from my bdp ex month ago, it got to the point that I was so isolated and struggling to cope that I tried to take my own life over the Christmas holidays. I had never felt so emotionally drained or alone.

Since then my bdp ex had turned up at my house, many of times and told me everything I wanted to hear that he would be starting therapy and he knows how much I care and the issues he had faced all his life. I told him I loved him but he needed to get better for us to work. Valentine’s Day came and he started accusing me of lots of things and hallucinations he said he had minimal sleep in 3 days so I called his family for help, who all blocked me, I then called a for a welfare check on to receive more abuse of his ex gf (mother of his child) and him.

I just couldn’t cope, the police got involved and told us not to contact in which we didn’t for a week, after that he kept apologising and again saying everything I wanted to hear. I felt like we were just going round in circles so I bit the biller and spoke to him and completely opened up and told him exactly how I felt that I loved him and wanted to work on it through therapy. (Something he previously said he wanted to do with me)

Then from that moment everything again became my fault. I was the one with BPD  and I’m the toxic one and so on and so on.

He has since said he wants nothing to do with me and that he doesn’t care if I died and since not heard from him. (It’s only been 3 days).

Now we know they’re ill, but can he really mean that. It’s just completely floored me and drained me once again.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »

I’m so sorry you found yourself in such a desperate situation over the holidays.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

You’ve given your heart to a very emotionally difficult person. People with BPD are usually very reluctant to enter into therapy, which is unfortunate because without it, they will repeat these behavioral cycles over and over.

Which leads me to ask if you’re doing therapy. It can be so utterly devastating to experience some of the behaviors you’re familiar with. Even mental health professionals who have BPD clients, will frequently schedule therapy appointments for themselves to decompress afterwards. I strongly suggest that however your relationship evolves, that you find a good therapist to work with you.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 01:38:53 AM »

I have, I feel like this is why I’m so frustrated at myself for years previously I have been to therapy and I thought I was in a good place, then book I clearly became so co dependent on this.”behaviour.

I have fully accepted that my ex never actually cared about me all he cared about was what I could do for him. He said he could never fully be himself around me and that’s exactly because he’s not a nice person. He would always “respect” the enablers more and the people that did nothing for him, and i can see this so clearly now. I just want to forget this nightmare and to forgive me self for believe he was the person he said he wanted to be and not who he is. I’ve literally hated myself and allowed him to effect me in such way; and I’m embarrassed and trying so hard to forgive myself for this.

He is going to therapy, so he says, however he’s said his therapist has said I’m toxic I’m BPD and that I’m a bad person. All I know what I therapist wouldn’t say. In to which I said you have physically abused me twice so if this was the case, along with you reading through my therapy diaries from years ago, and phone and emails then you are lying to her and you won’t get better.

Honestly, I’m just so angry at myself and I want it all to just go away. Sorry for the rant, I’m clearly not ok
Cat Familiar
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 11:55:49 AM »

The first step is to forgive yourself. You got involved with someone who showed you his ideal side, which turned out to have little overlap with how he behaved day to day.

We here understand and have been through similar situations.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I stayed with a guy who hit me, had multiple affairs, spent money so flagrantly that I wondered how we’d pay for utilities and food, and abused drugs. I realized after a while that I never really loved him, but I was so invested in the relationship that I thought I could someday get him to return to the idealized self that he presented when we first got together.

Nope. Didn’t happen. I had to break free and learn to love myself.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
alterK
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 05:33:41 AM »

Cat is right. You have to forgive yourself. You can start with the assurance that no one can possibly be as bad as a BPD partner accuses them of being. A sad thing is that we are sensitized somehow to the agony of our partner. It is because deep down they are so certain that they are unforgivably evil, that they must project this evil onto you. And so, you suffer.

Your s/o will of course tell you that his therapist believes it's all your fault. Who is the therapist getting their information from?

Take it One Day At A Time, and get some help.
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 07:07:19 AM »

Thank you for being here,

I know and I’ve read up all on this, it still doesn’t make it easier, and your right he was like this long before me and will be after. I’m at the strange in my life where I want to settle down. He literally turned up at my house uninvited yesterday just to tell me he was worried about me and that I’m the ill one and he wants to get me sectioned. Obviously this made me extremely upset I was just like leave. Why even come here to pretend you care when you just want to make it worse. I wish I hadn’t of shown emotion but I’m just drained and couldn’t. I know full well I won’t be reaching out to him and it’s more than likely he won’t me now. So I can start to just move on.

Any tips? To not want to contact them?
Cat Familiar
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »

Journaling helps. I ended up writing almost an entire novel’s lenght account about my relationship with my ex. Seeing it in written form makes it hard to deny, excuse, minimize, or otherwise rationalize that it really wasn’t that bad—yes it was!   Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post)

Couper

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »

Thank you for being here,

I know and I’ve read up all on this, it still doesn’t make it easier, and your right he was like this long before me and will be after. I’m at the strange in my life where I want to settle down. He literally turned up at my house uninvited yesterday just to tell me he was worried about me and that I’m the ill one and he wants to get me sectioned. Obviously this made me extremely upset I was just like leave. Why even come here to pretend you care when you just want to make it worse. I wish I hadn’t of shown emotion but I’m just drained and couldn’t. I know full well I won’t be reaching out to him and it’s more than likely he won’t me now. So I can start to just move on.

I'd like to share this because I think I witnessed an identical occurrence with my uBPDw earlier this year.  Last year with all the goings on political and virus, she went off the deep end espousing her views on her social media account.  As a result, it appeared that almost all of her old friends blocked her.  Not because they had differing opinions of the goings-on in the world, but because she was being unkind to them in a passive-aggressive way.  It turned out that was the case and recently on her social media she was bantering with a new like-minded friend in a belittling and condescending way toward her old friends and she made the comment that maybe she should send it to all of them directly since everyone seems to have blocked her (that is one similarity in that they can't just have their views and leave well-enough alone).  One of these old friends happened to check in and saw what she said and gave her a giant spoonful of truth in that everyone did cut her off because of her blanket condemnation and ridicule for anyone that didn't agree with her and told her that her refusal to disagree with anyone civilly made her  impossible to deal with, so they all just moved on.  It was masterfully written.  I don't necessarily agree with any of these people politically myself, but they are all good, decent, civil people and they were being disrespected in a very passive-aggressive way.  I could debate any one of them on any issue and still walk away friends.

Here is the important part.  In all of that, the (former) friend stated that she thought my wife had been deceived... and noted the irony in that each thinks the other has been deceived.  Aside from that, the entire thing was for the purpose of calling her out, not for her beliefs, but her bad behavior.

As a result, because I guess this dressing-down was seen publicly, my wife went into damage control mode and started messaging anybody directly that she thought she could pull on to her side about how, "I feel so sorry for her, she is so deceived" when that wasn't even the point.  It just strikes me as very similar to what you experienced in that now, given your  ex's new accusation, you are the one with BPD that needs to be committed.  Don't take it personally.  It's probably not nearly as much an attack on you as it is a way for him to defend himself from a truth that is too hard for him to swallow.  These people can't see past their end of their own nose.  He's looking for any way to defend himself without giving any regard to the pain that he's causing you.

As far as tips for not wanting to contact him: It sounds to me like contact brings pain.  Remind yourself that contacting him is essentially like touching a hot stove whenever you are feeling of a mind to reach out and you will probably change direction pretty quick.  I hope I haven't overstepped or misapplied my assessment with any of the above.  Wishing you brighter days ahead!
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »

Again,

Thank you so much for your help. It’s been 2 days now and honestly I don’t want to contact him. Funnily enough I he was beeping at me from his car in which I didn’t acknowledge then got bombarded with emails, again saying I looked better than the day before and clearly I’m not upset and I planned it all and I’m sick. His number is blocked and his emails now are. I didn’t respond and you’re absolutely right.

Hearing anything from him or engaging in any conversation only causes me pain. Why would I want to reach out to anyone who wants me to be miserable. He even said his therapist said he’s fine and I’m ill, all I know which isn’t true: I’ve had my own therapy long enough to deal with that. For the first time in 18 months, I kind of feel free. Today again he tried to call me off 2 different numbers, for what reason I don’t know or care.

Journalling used to help me but now I just find myself real eating myself and getting so angry at myself, I just want it all to be done with, to go away.

Isn’t it strange how we fall in love with a fantasy version of that person!

Again thank you for your help, it means so much.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »

Why would I want to reach out to anyone who wants me to be miserable.

sometimes we prefer war to peace.

put another way, sometimes silence or loneliness is scary, and drama is preferable, no matter how draining it can be.

sometimes it can be a way of avoiding grieving.

it could be any of those things. my advice would be to accept that you want to contact him (or did, at least), step back, and observe those feelings.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 12:48:52 AM »

Thankyou.

Just thought I’d give a quick update I’ve not tried to Initiate contact but have received messages saying that I have messed with his head and how could I do this to him, is he that much of a bad person that I want to destroy him.

Honestly I know there’s two sides to the story and then the truth but I am being completely honest here.

I don’t know how it can go from me telling him I didn’t want to not try with him. To me apparently being the ill one, for him then wanting nothing to do with me and for me to focus on me and get help, to then calling me a lier when he sees me out in my car to then me being blamed and accused of wanting to ruin his life!

Makes absolutely no sense!
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »

Following on..: I am still receiving abusive emails threatening to get me sectioned and saying how horrible of a person I am and that I’m ill and bla bla. I have received 5 emails and 8 missed called over 5 days.

He still clearly convinced I’m the one who needs help.

Which yes I may do, only because I’ve been drained by him. Has anyone else experienced the same?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 05:54:00 AM »

it may be easiest to think of this as one persons dysfunctional way of coping with a breakup.

think, if you will, of the person who gets out of a relationship, and posts all over facebook about their "toxic ex". blame is one way of coping with a breakup. its a way not at all uncommon to BPD, and can be more or less extreme when thats the case.

thats not to discourage any of us from exploring our relationships/a breakup with a balanced perspective, but it is to suggest that what youre experiencing now is, in general, less about you, and more about his way of coping.

how are you responding, if you are? how do you want to respond, or not?

one idea might be to route his emails to the trash, or to a particular folder. you could even get a trusted friend to read them, and only let you know if theres something in them that you really need to know.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 07:23:39 AM »

They are going to my junk but as I know they’re there I still read them. I went three days without but then I was speaking witha friend and she told me to read them incase he needed help. In which I didn’t. He’s not sent one within 24 hours so hopefully I won’t now.

I haven’t responded at all. He’s also saying he’s spoken to a solicitor who has advised that the will be served, even though I haven’t contacted him. So I know this is a lie and if he was to have spoken to one they most definitely would be telling him not to keep contacting me. I don’t want to respond, why would I?

You still battle with the head confusion that you are to blame though don’t you. I just feel like in my heart I know the truth and that I’m really not to blame. Then because he keeps saying it to me and clearly convinced himself I question my reality. It’s so annoying.

What happens next?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »

What happens next?

is there a part of you that wants there to be something that happens next?

Breakingpoint13

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 10:54:58 PM »

No! I just don’t want a smear campgain but I think I’m being naive if I think this in the last that I will hear from him!
Dad50

Relationship status: dating

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »

Honestly it feels like he is giving you a gift by staying away. I have tried to leave my BPD partner a dozen times. Every single time she calls texts and emails dozens and dozens of times. Saying things like we are too old to break up, have too much invested to break up, I don;'t have a right to break up with her. She knows I have a propensity to feel guilty, so she preys on that. Saying I owe her another chance. Gone are the days when she even tries to pretend to be nice to get me to stay. She completely and utterly dehumanizes me, and I go back because of my immature need to show her I am not a bad person.

Honestly, I wish when I said,"I don't want to see you anymore," she would say "Okay". I mean, breaking up is so darn hard. It is even harder when they won't let go. Your partner is actually giving you room to leave. That is a gift.
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

Following on..: I am still receiving abusive emails threatening to get me sectioned and saying how horrible of a person I am and that I’m ill and bla bla. I have received 5 emails and 8 missed called over 5 days.

Hello Breakingpoint13

I'd suggest it isn't as simple as him being convinced that you are the one that needs help.    What he is doing isn't 'helping'.    It's off loading a toxic amount of guilt, shame and hurt by projecting it on you.   Projection is weird.   Essentially he  is taking all the things he thinks and fears about himself and making it all about you.   It's not honest.    Its not real.    Its not productive.     It's not self aware.    It's not reflective.

What he is displaying is an unhealthy amount of enmeshment.   Enmeshment happens to some extent in most long term relationship but in a relationship with a disordered person it reaches oppressive and damaging levels.

In my opinion - enmeshment becomes unhealthy when it reaches this stage of trying to demand the other change to correct, fix and meet the needs and expectations of the one making the demand.   let me see if I can say that better.    When requests for change move into demands and commands the relationship is unhealthy for everyone.

I would encourage you to not participate in unproductive circular conversations.    especially not ones with this level of covert threats.

I would encourage you to establish firm boundaries that protect you from ongoing dysfunction.    

What would a boundary around this look like to you?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »

So he hasn’t sent me a bus I’ve emails in 2 days now. I care for him deeply but there’s only so many times he can tell me he doesn’t care about me before I believe it. It’s been confusing as the last time I saw him (I week ago when he turned up uninvited) it was because he was worried about me and wanted me to focus on me, to the next day calling me a lier because he had seen me out and I wasn’t crying.

I did at the time say to him I felt this was a reflection on how he was feeling but he’s completely convinced otherwise, and again even making up scenarios that haven’t happened in the way he’s saying.

I haven’t responded to any of the accusations and after him saying he was going to get me sectioned after not responding for 5 days, tbh I’m too afraid to even reach out, so I don’t feel like any boundaries need to be in place. It’s like I want him to care, I want him to be the person he is but I know he never will be, to scream at me and say I’m ill and then to do nothing but through abuse at me since and not even ask it I’m ok proves this does it not?

Or is this just the cycle he’ll do, then next minute he’ll care again? I’ve just been so confused about what is real and what isn’t.
babyducks

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 10:07:05 AM »

I understand what you are saying Breakingpoint.

It’s been confusing as the last time I saw him (I week ago when he turned up uninvited) it was because he was worried about me and wanted me to focus on me, to the next day calling me a liar because he had seen me out and I wasn’t crying.

people with BPD have harmfully intense emotions that change very rapidly.   from what you describe he is rapidly cycling through some extreme highs and lows.

I did at the time say to him I felt this was a reflection on how he was feeling but he’s completely convinced otherwise, and again even making up scenarios that haven’t happened in the way he’s saying.

Yes.   for pwBPD feelings equal facts.    we use a phrase here.   'emotional dysregulation'.    maybe you have seen it or read about it.     people who dysregulate have a poor ability to manage emotional responses or to keep them within an acceptable range of typical emotional reactions.    he is dysregulated and attempting to process it using some maladaptive tools. until he returns to baseline (less dysregulated) it will be very difficult to have a conversation.

tbh I’m too afraid to even reach out, so I don’t feel like any boundaries need to be in place.

boundaries are wonderful things that protect us even when other people aren't involved.   Once Removed suggested a boundary - don't read messages from him.   that's a good boundary.   another boundary is limiting the amount of time you work to figure this out to an hour every day.    or something like that.  another good boundary would be balancing the amount of negativity with some good self care.    eating well, exercising.   boundaries around how much toxicity you absorb.

Or is this just the cycle he’ll do, then next minute he’ll care again? I’ve just been so confused about what is real and what isn’t.

it's all very real.    it's also changing very quickly.    when mood swings are this volatile, the recommendation is to not add any more emotion into the mix.

what do you think?

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »

It really means a lot your response. Thankyou.

I have been keeping myself busy, I don’t drink alcohol or do drugs so Im quite well equipped to not go off the rails as such when I’m hurting. He’s also told me he’s moved with someone else. (Which he has also previously said and then denied). So I feel like any time thinking about him is a waste, I don’t deserve this. You can’t though stop that what’s in the back of your mind. I just wish this was a situation my head and heart didn’t have to deal with. It’s such a confusing illness as you don’t know if you ever meant anything to them.

I know he genuinely can’t be happy right now, no matter what he portrays.
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 01:49:22 AM »

I’m actually quite struggling with this now, I wanted to reach out and defend myself from him last message (5days ago) and defend myself and say that what he was accusing me off. Being mentally ill, not caring, being fake and manipulating him wasn’t true.  But what even would I actually get from that. Will he know that’s not true? Do I just have to remind myself that this is his illness? Or is he well and it’s me? :s
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 01:51:32 AM »

I think this is the longest he’s gone without trying to through something at me. no contact. However I have noticed ive been unlocked for which why would you do that if you were threatening legal action on me for. Surely if you thought I was so bad you’d just keep me blocked?
babyducks

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 04:34:24 AM »

these are very difficult relationships we find ourselves in.   there is a lot of hurt and pain.     it is totally normal to want to defend yourself when attacked.    we get used to the pattern of push I hate you go away - pull I love you come here.

let me ask you a question.   take a moment to draw a couple deep breaths and think about this.

if you reached out to him how would this time be different?   what are you going to do or say that would make this time different?

there are tools and skills in the LESSONS section here that make communicating potentially more productive.    the key to most of them is we have to be in a calm confident place ourselves.    able to maintain our composure and not be drawn into a circular argument.    are you at that place?

blocking, unblocking.   is this the way mature healthy individuals communicate?  we have a saying here.   for things to get better first they have to stop getting worse.      which means someone has to stop the cycle of conflict.    someone has to stop having the same argument over and over again.      can that be you?

what do you think?

Breakingpoint13

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »

You’re right and I’ve tried that.

I just wanted to reach out and say I care and that he said wasn’t true, but then I looked at my last message to him, and that’s all it was, me telling him how much I care and how I’m not the devil and that I am there etc etc.

Then the last message I received was how much he hates me and how ill I am. I can’t understand at all why he would unblock me, but I just need to say strong and resist the urge to message. If this is an episode or not, why do I want to be with someone who’s openly saying they don’t want me.

I just need to man up!
jmbl

Relationship status: Common law

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 01:12:16 PM »

BreakingPoint, when our partners say they don't love me, we know they that do and that they are speaking through pain. That makes it easy for us to message them. If your messages convey nothing but love and compassion, he will read those messages when he is not longer heightened and know how you feel. The blocking thing is tricky because we don't want to block them - they will believe we have abandoned them -  making it hard to ignore their messages and protect ourselves.

Give the relationship space and time.

He sounds like he has fallen down a deep hole. There is likely nothing you can say or do to pull him back up at this point, and you may have to wait in silence. In the past when my partner has behaved this way, I found that keeping away and not talking to him the only thing to work, however painful it is. He has to experience the consequences of his own behaviour.

Reading your words reminds me so much of my experiences with my partner. They are devastating and I cannot imagine it lasting for as long as you have endured. I truly hope that you are able to find peace and moments in your day to allow you kindness, compassion, and respite from the turmoil you are experiencing. I do hope that your partner can find the same as well, and the the relationship can flourish in the future.
EZEarache

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »

Which yes I may do, only because I’ve been drained by him. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Yes, absolutely. When my relationship went off the rails I became very depressed. I was standing on a bridge ready to jump off, but decided not to. I even wrote a note. This was all spurred on as a result of a week long fight that we had when she pushed me out of the way while I was trying to take care of our baby, when she previously asked me to.

I didn't say anything about it to her the day I was on the bridge, but when she picked a fight with me the next day, I made the mistake of showing her the note. I was trying to explain (don't JADE that ends badly) what our fighting was doing to me.

For the next five months she figuratively waved the note over my head. I put myself in therapy right after all of this with the goal of ending the fighting.

I'll skip ahead through five months of continued drama over the stupid note. By this point, I was completely fed up with hearing about the note. She was just not getting that the note was caused by our continued conflict. In our last fight while we were still cohabitating, she brought up the stupid note again. I made mistake of saying, "Not jumping off the bridge was the biggest mistake of my life." I was trying to leave, because that was the only way to end a fight with her. She wouldn't let me because she thought I was suicidal. Started wrestling with me, and eventually called 911. The police came, took me to the hospital in handcuffs. I spent the day in the hospital until my parents drove across the state to get me out.

The next day, I sent her a message to let her know I was O.K. It seemed like the considerate thing to do, at the time. For the next week she told me I was crazy, and she was filing for full custody because I was a risk to the baby.

She was the one who drove me crazy, through constant criticism, and guilt tripping. I didn't understand it at the time, but now I do. I've been analyzing our text exchanges with my therapist. He agrees she has BPD. It's nice to know I'm not completely at fault.

So, yes, absolutely this has happened to me. It's messed me my head up more than anyone will ever comprehend.
Cat Familiar
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »

So, yes, absolutely this has happened to me. It's messed me my head up more than anyone will ever comprehend.

I’ve never told anyone this before, but when I was with my abusive BPD ex-husband, in the midst of a fight while we were driving on a winding road, I tried to open the truck door to jump out. He reached over and grabbed the door handle, preventing me from doing so.

Even if I had, I probably wouldn’t have injured myself much, as we were traveling at about 25 mph. But it was a wake up call to me, realizing that I began wondering about my own sanity.

These relationships can be extremely stressful, something that is important to keep in mind.

When we are immersed in craziness, it takes a lot of discipline to maintain our own sense of normalcy. That’s why it’s good to have friends and family and outside interests to keep us grounded.

Breakingpoint13

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »

Thank you so much for opening up to me. In such a bitter sweet way I’m just so relieved what I’ve gone through is something I haven’t experienced on my own.

The last couple of days I have been an emotional wreck. Still contemplating messaging him to reinstate the last message I sent saying how much I cared and that I’m not ill. Then again the words that he hates me and so on. Just why why, he’s not even reached out to apologise and it’s coming onto a week of him not contacting which is the longest He’s gone. With that being abuse or not.

I think I was worried of the smear campaign or anyone else believing his lies, yet why do I care, if he has told people I’m ill. Not a single person has reached out to me and asked if I’m ok. So why would I care.

I completely get what you mean by your ex using that one thing against you. He would constantly do it to me. He once read an old therapy diary I had from a narcissistic ex. I didn’t know even existed, and was from around 4 years ago and from then he constantly used that and blamed me for any failed relationship. I clearly have in resolved issues of codependency, and as for him claiming I have bpd absolutely not. I have so much empathy for him and literally made myself ill worrying for him. I also know at times I have acted out of anger but I understand now that is me mirroring the abuse he’s given me. It’s not who I am or what I stand for. He has even said that to me before. I just literally hit my breaking point and I just want to heal and not have to deal with any of these emotions any more.

Again thank you for sharing your experience with me. It helps more than you will ever know. I broke down today to friends who I said I felt like I couldn’t talk to because they didn’t understand what it’ was like to deal with a bpd or be on the receiving end of an abusive relationship. It’s so easy for them to say get over it, you can do better and you don’t deserve this.

Like we know! But there’s something we saw in them that we loved, and letting go of that is hurtful.
Breakingpoint13

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2021, 02:03:19 AM »

BreakingPoint, when our partners say they don't love me, we know they that do and that they are speaking through pain. That makes it easy for us to message them. If your messages convey nothing but love and compassion, he will read those messages when he is not longer heightened and know how you feel. The blocking thing is tricky because we don't want to block them - they will believe we have abandoned them -  making it hard to ignore their messages and protect ourselves.

That’s what I keep thinking. He’s still blocked by me. I’m worried if I did unblock him all I would receive is abuse. I think he has actually left to go on holiday. And I believe he knows where I live and is able to reach out if he wanted too, but he’s not. Not even a sorry or am I ok after the hurtful messages and state he saw me in.

Give the relationship space and time.

He sounds like he has fallen down a deep hole. There is likely nothing you can say or do to pull him back up at this point, and you may have to wait in silence. In the past when my partner has behaved this way, I found that keeping away and not talking to him the only thing to work, however painful it is. He has to experience the consequences of his own behaviour.

This is what plays in the back of my mind. I guess I worry he’s not in a good place. Yet I don’t know that, he maybe extremely happy and genuinely not care for me.

Reading your words reminds me so much of my experiences with my partner. They are devastating and I cannot imagine it lasting for as long as you have endured. I truly hope that you are able to find peace and moments in your day to allow you kindness, compassion, and respite from the turmoil you are experiencing. I do hope that your partner can find the same as well, and the the relationship can flourish in the future.

How long would your partner go without contacting you?

I’m sorry you also had to experience this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest