Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 03:31:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Anger  (Read 371 times)
jmbl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Common law

« on: June 03, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »

Hello all,

How do people deal with feelings of anger that their person wBPD express? Here's my example, including how I responded and my thought process behind it...

My partner has vivid nightmares that disrupt his sleeping and cause him to sweat throughout the night. This has happened 3 nights in a row now, resulting in inadequate sleep time. He wakes up in the night, we flip the blanket and I lay a new sheet down underneath him (it's something we've been dealing with for years. Nobody has a clue what causes them, although we suspect a previous head injury). This morning, the snowball effect resulted in him being extremely frustrated. He allowed this to impact his morning (3 hours in/out of sleep before work), was quite angry and became extremely heightened.

Never directed at me, only at his frustration, my half asleep self responded to each statement with either: remaining still to fall back asleep, being kind, providing minimal comfort measures. I also reminded him throughout that it is just one morning (he did not get angry the previous two mornings) and his frustrations are valid, but that he (we) have to work together to ensure the day only gets better - that this one instance is not reflective of what is to come today. Upon waking (I have the day off), he was rushed for time so I got coffee and breakfast together for him to take to work.

My thought process behind my quiet and kind response was that everybody is allowed to experience their emotions, however they need to be respectful and you cannot address somebody else in anger (especially when they are not at fault).

My conflict is that I feel I am toeing the line of enabler. I do not want to enable poor behaviour, and I (and he) want him to improve his reactions to undesirable occurrences. However, it's still important to me that he has space to express/experience what he is feeling without feeling invalidated.

Is this enabling? If so, what alternatives are they to BPD anger management (without professional intervention)?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »

Excerpt
My thought process behind my quiet and kind response was that everybody is allowed to experience their emotions, however they need to be respectful and you cannot address somebody else in anger (especially when they are not at fault).

i think this is dead on.

there is a fine line that youre talking about. in general, our loved ones are needy people...needy for validation, needy for reassurance. do too much of either, and you creep into an unhealthy dynamic, but in the best case scenario, theres gonna be some imbalance.

it sounds, from your account, like you walk(ed) that line pretty well. grabbing coffee for a rushed partner having a bad day is sweet, and thoughtful.

i suppose that my advice would be dont try to do too much. saying things to calm and reassure him is great, its probably one of the reasons he loves you! just dont expect that you can talk him out of it, and consider the balance between supporting someone who has sleep troubles, and being able to get a good nights sleep yourself. its hard to support another person without that!

Excerpt
BPD anger management

in other words, dont manage his anger for him.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
EZEarache

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 01:15:14 AM »

Thank you for the example. I think you handled this situation very well.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest