Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 05:48:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help: conversation re cat  (Read 476 times)
Chosen

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:57 PM »

So uBPDh and I has had our cat for the past 10 years.  I was the one who started keeping him first (took him in after a friend picked him up from the streets).  So as you can imagine, if the cat is being naughty or making a fuss, H will refer to him as "your cat".  And perhaps for the past 1.5 years or so (especially so during Covid), I feel like he's losing patience for the cat.  He's taking it out on me, and I don't know how to validate or respond.

Things that H complains about include: cat would sit on shoes then go around the flat, therefore making everything, like the kids' toys dirty; cat would pull down laundry from the laundry rack and sit on the clothes (he would sometimes shout at me, saying he is not only my slave, and is also the cat's slave... what more do I want him to do, etc); cat is kicking the litter everywhere (I admit it does go to some places but it's not exactly like the floor is spotless otherwise). 

Responses I've tried:
- Apologising (like, for causing him extra trouble): doesn't work.  He would be angrier.  Says I shouldn't say sorry for things I'm not sorry about.  Say I don't actually care about his feelings.  Treat him as a slave.
- Offering to take up the chores that cause him extra time (like re-wash whatever the cat pulled off the rack): doesn't work.  Makes him angrier. 
- Trying to find solutions to the problems or alternatives to lessen the problem (like searching for a new litterbox to get to try and reduce cat litter on the floor): doesn't work.  He wouldn't act on it.  I would show him a thousand pictures and see which one we should get and he would say don't change it.

Can someone suggest what kind of response he could be looking for?  I'm very careful not to say (when I'm frustrated), "Do you just want me to put him down?" because that's not what I want and what if he said yes?  But it seems to be that he just wants to be rid of the cat and anything the cat is doing is annoying him.  I really don't know what to do as it turns me into the source of blame. 

Can anyone help me to formulate a validating response as everything I've done doesn't work.  So now I kind of just let him scold me, blame it on me, and not really respond (don't wanna "make things worse", so silence is like, the only option); after a while he stops complaining about it and we move on with our lives... I feel like he wants some kind of validation... for what, I don't know...

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 01:16:59 PM »

I can relate. My H did this last year. Every time I tried to solve the problem as he presented it, it made things worse. My H is a very intense person, and I usually got stuck in his intensity tornado. I couldn't think clearly to see what was really happening.

It's not the cat, it just happens to be something he's chosen to unload his emotions on.

Are you able to identify the emotions he's feeling when he seems triggered? Powerless? Sad? Afraid?

What happens in your body when he gets upset? What emotions do you feel?

What would happen if you just let him vent and gave him space to simply let out his frustration without feeling compelled to defend, explain or fix? If you feel overwhelmed or hurt by what he says, take care of yourself. It's ok to say, "I love this cat and it hurts to hear you talk about him that way. Give me a few minutes to clear my head and calm down, I'll be back soon so we can finish the conversation."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Chosen

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »

I agree that it's not just about the cat.  I sense that he's frustrated when he was scolding me.  Frustrated that the cat's troubles has added to his workload.  He is already putting in all his time caring for the family (full time daddy), so it's like another "unnecessary" addition to his work. 

What would happen if you just let him vent and gave him space to simply let out his frustration without feeling compelled to defend, explain or fix?

I think I need to do this.  I KNOW that at the moment he didn't need any fixing.  He would somehow appreciate my efforts in trying to fix the problem (even though he may not take up on my suggestions), but at that moment it's not what he needs.  I guess the simple thing is he needs validation.  But at that moment I'm usually too self-protective/ scared to be able to do that... scared that things would escalate, and also scared because the cat is not under my control (it's going to do cat things, right?) and that I won't be able to find a solution to the problem.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »

Perhaps you could agree with him when he makes those comments. “Yeah, the cat gets things dirty and makes a mess. But isn’t he delightful other times? Cats are like that. Gotta love them, but they certainly add to the workload!”

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »

But at that moment I'm usually too self-protective/ scared to be able to do that... scared that things would escalate, and also scared because the cat is not under my control (it's going to do cat things, right?)

Have you thought about what scares you or makes you feel self-protective?

and that I won't be able to find a solution to the problem.

I can SO relate. When H is upset I often feel responsible to find a solution. Over the past year I've been working on retraining this knee jerk response, because his emotions are his to manage. In many situations, controlling my emotional response has diminished his. There are times when his intensity invites me to step outside of my yard and respond in a way that exacerbates the situation. If I stay in my yard, after time, he learns that it won't trigger me and he quits doing it.

I like Cat's suggested response because it makes the problem the right size and keeps the emotion where it should be.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest