Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 07:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New-Looking for acute residential treatment for our daughter  (Read 987 times)
DrMomBPDDtr
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« on: January 10, 2022, 11:37:17 PM »

We have been in a family oriented IOP for the last 8 months with our 14 yr old Dtr who has gotten worse with a transition to high school and was completely unengaged with the program.  We are now considering acute residential treatment but our educational consultant is recommending a longer term residential program (10-12 months).  Does anyone with experience sending a teen to such program have advice?  We are considering McLean 3East, Silver Hill, Hillside, Willow Springs.   Thanks
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:25:19 AM »

Hi DrMomBPDDtr, welcome to the group. So glad you decided to reach out.

You're not alone in looking for a step up in care for a young teen with BPD behaviors. Let me start you out with a snippet from another recent thread:

Excerpt
There are members who have had success with getting their kids into wilderness/therapeutic boarding school situations. If you search for posts by member lbjnltx (let me know if you need a hand figuring out how to search), you can see some of her experience with her D in a therapeutic boarding school.

Have you seen the "Lessons" thread yet? Here it is:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=114267.0

and if you scroll down to Lesson 6 on "Therapy methods and inpatient / outpatient venues", there is a big collection of links to threads on RTCs and programs for teens.

There's also this thread; not sure if it's in the collection:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=298572.0

Check out those links and see what you think. I will add that I have heard positive things about McLean. I can't remember if that's where Dr. Blaise Aguirre practices -- you may have heard of him, he specializes in BPD in teens/adolescents -- but if not, consider reaching out to him for a consultation.

Here's a link to some reviews of his book (again, you may have already seen it):

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=65571.0

8 months is a long time. I'm sorry you're going through so much -- we KNOW here that there's so, so much you haven't said.

If you ever need to vent, process, get support, anything, in addition to advice, we're here. It's a long road.

Again, welcome;

kells76
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:31:26 PM »

Hi There.  There is not a whole lot I can add to Kells' message other than to repeat that we are here for you , you are not alone.

The saying " It takes a village to raise a child " is a true one because sometimes they have needs we can't possibly meet in the home setting.  I don't know if I have advice per se, but my son had to go to therapeutic hospital, then residential group home .  I guess the first thing I'd say is with me, the guilt hit hard. I still have some residual guilt to this day.  However, remember , saving a life and keeping everyone safe is priority number one. So if you can help it, remember that during the hard times. This all happened in 2009 -2012, I don't have the newest, latest information in what is the best placement. Please vent as you need to .  We are here for you.

CatMom22

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »

Hey there!

My kid just started a short term residential with Embark in the Poconos. At first she liked it and now she hates it but I expected that. She wanted to go  to residential but I think she thought it would be like camp, not school and therapy.  Anyway I am following this thread because if this place doesn't work, I'm looking for a year long therapeutic boarding school for her.
Guardian Aunt
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 02:56:56 AM »

Hi, I am also looking for long term residential treatment. My kiddo is still struggling with sucidial ideation after 2 months in a local 90 day RTC.
We have had multiple PHPs prior in addition to multiple acute admissions.
I can say - I wouldn't send your child to Willow Springs in NV. They have a terrible reputation and many of their patients are violent. I have had kids report being more traumatized after leaving.
Momsense
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 01:58:02 PM »

I am so sorry that you are going through this. We were in the same boat as you nearly 6 years ago with our 16-year-old daughter. We decided to take her to Clearview in Montana. She was there for a total of 13 months. It is a really hard decision to make, but I believe as parents we know when it is time to get that long-term outside help. My advice to you would be to go somewhere that has DBT. We didn't know it at the time, but now I wish we had looked for a place that offered DBT. I believe the program in Montana helped our daughter tremendously, although it wasn't perfect. Every program will have some problems. Maybe think of your top 5 priorities in a program and really stick to that when looking for a place.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest