Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 05:24:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD ex friends during relationship and after  (Read 255 times)
Trex01

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: November 24, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »

Is it just me or have others experienced a BPD ex that would speak badly about friends and family and refused to do stuff with them only to turn around and seek support from the same family and mutual friends they spoke badly of and did not want to be around?
Tupla Sport

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 11:59:17 PM »

Triangulation, positive and negative, is a big part of the BPD playbook. They often set up a third person or party as the perpetrator or benefactor and then proceed to dump their unfiltered emotions about them to you.

My ex talked PLEASE READ about my best friend and then proceeded to date him immediately when I gave into her demand to have a break. Also the random guys on social media who shared her interests went from the coolest dudes ever to the creepiest of creeps when she let them too close (and thus also cheated on me emotionally).

Ultimately the triangle often spins around and means very little. It can be an awkward attempt at obfuscating the truth ("Don't worry, I could *never* imagine dating him, he's a creep!") or just an example of their weather vane spinning about. It's got a lot to do with their black and white world. The same object may appear the best or the worst on a whim.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 12:10:51 AM »

Is it just me or have others experienced a BPD ex that would speak badly about friends and family and refused to do stuff with them only to turn around and seek support from the same family and mutual friends they spoke badly of and did not want to be around?

It is quite common behavior. It is nothing out of the ordinary. BPD at its core is a paradox. That is perhaps the best way to approach it with your mind...the behaviors will be inconsistently consistent.

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
tina7868
Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 09:47:01 AM »

Excerpt

Definitely happened in my case as well. I commend you for recognizing it, it helps a lot to take a distance from this type of behaviour.

My ex would talk about how friends and family were so horrible to him. This made me feel protective of him and console him, wanting to offer my support. And then he'd turn around and say how important they were in his life, which made me so confused and almost defensive. All of a sudden, I was the one viewing things from a negative light.
imstillhere89

Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 10:41:19 AM »

As Tupla said it's triangulation. But in my opinion also black and white thinking. One day all those people are all white, another - all black. Scary...
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest