Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 06:24:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does trauma bonding last? Another possible BPD nightmare  (Read 571 times)
Don Gato

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: December 31, 2022, 07:28:38 AM »

Hi, I'm new here. I want to preface this post by
saying I am not 100% sure my ex has BPD. In the 10 months we saw each other she only said things like
"I am not normal" "I am emotionally labile" "I am not capable of reciprocating your love for me" "I am very selfish"
At the time I did not not even know anything about BPD or any of the possible Cluster B disorders she may have been suffering from. It wasn't until I was in the insane "trauma bond" phase I started getting more info and connecting some dots. Anyway.. here's my sad story.
I had never experienced a crazy relationship like this in my life! I was 50 at the time she was 45. We hit it off magically from day 1 like a couple. That "love bombing" or "idealization" lasted maybe a month "you're my person!" "marry me!". Then the first red flag appeared. She was constantly begging me to go to concerts with her. Twice she ghosted me at the last minute to take someone else. No apology for being rude and wasting my time. Then a week later she would be happy and want to get together like nothing had happened. By this time for whatever reason I had fallen for her. Nothing made logical sense other than we were like mirrors of each other and that roped me in hard despite the frequent indifferent brush offs. She is attractive, extremely intelligent, and is a PA-C neurosurgeon. She has had a lot of tragedy in her life. She suffers from the awful Crohn's disease, lost her pro golfer husband in an auto accident, and her dad to brain cancer who she took care of while she was in med school in her 20's. And at some point had a stroke on top of all the Crohn's related surgeries. That being said things were awesome whenever we got together in person. We had so much fun it wasn't just sex and leave. We were bonding, one sided of course as she could not reciprocate.But another red flag popped up that I inexplicably chose to ignore. She had to always drink a bottle of wine when I came over. One time she texted me "It's BS that I have to drink to emotionally open up to you!" "you deserve better" Anyway because I did not want to rock the boat I told her let's just be casual and fun even though I did really love her and wanted an exclusive relationship. We talked about marriage from time to time. She had told me she was always very independent and never really lived with a man even when she was married. As her golfer hubby was always on the road. As the months went by the honeymoon phase wore off, and more red flags appeared, but love truly is blind sometimes. She would go out of her way to criticize me, put me down, constantly ask me for affirmation "Why do you love me?" then childish things like "I love you! No I take that back" "You're not my boyfriend! but you kind of are hehe" like she was an immature teenage girl. Her laughter to tears to rage emotions would flip so quick my head would spin. I would say something wrong and she would angrily say "I need you to leave right now!" Go to the door she flips back to a smile "no please stay" like nothing happened. Watching a video, or movie she would just start crying uncontrollably. A few months later the drummer for the Foo Fighters died and I am not exaggerating here, she went to a very dark place. Non stop crying, neediness, talk of not wanting to live anymore. I was genuinely worried for her. Then a lot of "push and pull" ghost me for a week, then all of a sudden invite me over for the weekend magic again. Matter of fact another weird thing is the worst argument we ever had was actually over a silly text exchange! She was putting me down and I'd had enough and called her a "pompous arrogant windbag!" and she went ballistic "We're broken up!" "I don't want to see your face ever again" A few days later she invites me over and says in tears "I thought I was your princess on a pedestal, you broke my heart bad" I was like "huh?" So this erratic love hate thing went a few more months. Then I made the mistake of moving into a condo near her which was not intended to cramp her style. I did want to be closer than I was but I truly believe she flipped out that day and panicked. She texted "Congratulations" then 45 min later "I am seeing someone very special and out of respect for him I would like some space" a few minutes later another text "I love him" then "we were never going to be more than friends" "we were never close"  I showed some friends and they were like "that had to be her new guy texting that nobody is that cold" Long story short I gave her the "space" she requested I went no contact for about a month. I still had no idea if she actually met a new guy or made it up. Then one day I decided to send a flag up and see if we were still friends. I brought her a non romantic little bag of cat treats and some candy and a nice little friendship note card. She never came to the door so I left it and I guess she called the cops on me saying I was stalking her. I never once did her any kind of harm, or threatened her in any way. She went a step further and hired a lawyer to file a protection order against me! It gets better though. She straight up lied and twisted facts to even get the temporary one approved in the first place. The opening line sounded like it was written by a possessed demon woman who had made up her own distorted scenario in her mind "This man I dated a few times..." "His disturbing behavior escalated"  We had an intimate relationship for 10 months! This woman told me she had opened up more with me than anyone in her family, exes etc. Even the judge agreed with my texts proof I was right and changed it from friend to intimate relationship in the order, but didn't matter she was the poor"victim" and the female judge literally looked up at her on the Zoom court tv thing and said "oh honey I know this is very hard for you" wtf? I knew I was cooked then no matter what the actual truth was. She ruled that "space" meant forever and as an adult man I should have known that. What? Final cherry on top of this emotional buzzsaw is 6 months into the one year order I had just came back from two months in SE Asia, and I took a major risk and sent her basically a 12 step AA type forgiveness email that my pastor encouraged I do with anyone who I ever hurt, or was hurt by. Well surprise she called the cops on me again! She knows that could get me arrested and ruin my life and did it anyway and that hurt. Yes it was a risky decision, but the officers were very nice, they can't get involved in the case, but basically said the order may have been unfair, but you still have to follow the law, don't do that again. They agreed that she could have just read it and left it that. I guess that confirms I am in the eternal bad guy "black" in her book of shattered exes souls. Lord help me!

Also I wanted to add is it possible for someone with BPD to also have major narcissistic traits?
It just hit me that one day she told me "I have been anointed by God to do what I do" "my nurses and techs all worship at my feet!" the thing is she wasn't being sarcastic when she said these things she was serious. I never forgot those bizarre statements. I had read somewhere that a lot of surgeons have Cluster B disorders especially NPD. She was very grandiose and talked about herself all the time. Not sure if a BPD person does that too? I made the fatal mistake of saying "But wait you're not an actual MD though right?" and I thought she might slit my throat she was so enraged. I don't have have any bitterness left anymore. I've moved on as best as I can. I realize she is mentally ill, can't help some things she does, and I can't take it personally. All I do is pray she is healed someday. Somewhere behind that mask and troubled mind prison she's trapped in is a very sweet and loving person that wants to be free. Ironically her fave song video we always would watch on Youtube was Foreigner-I want to know what love is. She would always cry. That makes me sad. Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 07:39:44 AM by Don Gato » Logged
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »

She actually sounds more narcissistic to me. But that's not a good situation for a relationship. One quality is lack of empathy- and it sounds like she's got that one. She also lies and changes plans without conscience.

The grandiosity is pretty ridiculous. Some of my favorite medical providers are PA's and they don't have to, or want to,  pose as MD's. They are good at their jobs and don't pretend they are something they are not.

There are neurosurgery PA's who work with neurosurgeons and in a neurosurgery practice, and they provide some of the patient care, but they do not actually perform neurosurgery. They may assist with it, but it's the surgeon who is doing the actual surgery. Her response to you reminding her of that is telling.

The nurses and techs worship at her feet? Give me a break. Nurses and techs are far more savvy than to buy into that attitude. More likely they are on to her and think her claims are ridiculous.

"I am not normal" "I am emotionally labile" "I am not capable of reciprocating your love for me" "I am very selfish"

As Maya Angelou says " when someone shows you who they are, believe them".

Unless they tell you they are a surgeon. Then don't believe them unless they really are a surgeon ( and you can look this up on the internet)  Being cool (click to insert in post)

She is not a sweet and loving person trapped in another mind. Who she is is what you see and seems very troubled, but you can not fix this with your love. I hope recognizing that she is who she is will help you recover from this difficult relationship.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 03:26:38 PM by Notwendy » Logged
SaltyDawg

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: BPDw in preliminary remission w/ continual progress

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 05:55:50 AM »

Welcome to the BPD family.

BPD and NPD often co-exist together, in your particular instance it sounds like both are present.  My previous gf most likely had both plus a few more other mental health issues as well.  This ended 22-1/3 years ago when she ghosted me for another man which I took as my moral cue to run away from that relationship, right into the arms of a covert high-functioning borderline.

I still do think about her too much, and it was a short relationship, especially as I am on BPD Family talking about her replacement, my wife, and undiagnosed borderline that I have been with 22 years, as of yesterday.  I often compare and contrast the differences between these two women.  So, depending on how you deal with breakups, the trauma bond will lessen; however, it will never end.

Dad50

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 06:52:12 PM »

I've been out of my BPD relationship for about a year and a half-ish, and the trauma bond is still strong. I am with a wonderful woman now, who is fabulous and flawed and triumphs and struggles, and is aware of all her every day neurosis.

I often feel so much guilt because I think about my exUBPD too often. My ex has recently tried to make inroads back into my life, and I have been moderately good about keeping her out, but there are still parts of me that don't want her to feel sad or hurt. This is the woman who nearly destroyed me, often intentionally, and I still don't want her to feel sad. How dumb is that?

Anyway, you are not alone. I think it is normal. I am a recovering alcoholic of 25 years sober, and quitting a trauma bond is harder than quitting any addiction I have ever had. In many ways, dealing with the trauma bond is the same as dealing with an addiction. You are powerless against it. You can't have it in your life in normal or moderated ways. You have to remind yourself of all the damage and destruction the addiction caused. The highs were often spectacular. The lows were constant though.

That's my advice, of which I am not the best at following. Remind yourself of the destructive times. Any attempt at re-entry is just a manifestation of their self centered needs.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest