Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 30, 2024, 02:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 years later: First love of my life has reappeared  (Read 3464 times)
SaltyDawg

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2024, 12:37:56 PM »

Not Wendy has some really excellent wisdom, advice, and observations so I won't repeat those; however please do reflect on them.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to write. Things have taken a turn here and I am not sure what to make of it.

I thought things with girlfriend #1 were going well. I wasn’t walking on eggshells and she was being very kind and generous to me. I felt like I was being very well looked after. Recently in our conversations, we were having increasing disagreements. Often the subject matter would be trivial, at least to me.

I was in this punk band in the mid 80’s; kind of a send up of punk in a way. Comedy-punk perhaps? We had these stage personas where we hated everything. You know, how punks invented derogatory names for themselves… Well in our recent hook up, we had been reminiscing those days and I guess I have been going into character again. Just a bit of banter I guess you’d call it. At least that is how I perceived it…

The last couple of days have been odd. I know we can’t go making assumptions, but I am getting this push/pull vibe. It is like there is suddenly this built up resentment towards me. Like my jokes have been taken personally. I admit I can be cynical and pessimistic, but I have been painted out to be this negative  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) hole who likes to put everbody down.

Yesterday she rang me and I thought the phone call was going well. Suddenly she declares that we are not a good match, sorry, and it is over. I was quite taken back and hurt. At the same time she is telling me she really likes me though. She is then asking me what I’ll do now, and I said I might just go back to bed for a bit. This might not have gone down well  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Well most people do not like 'punks' - as you indicated they can put everybody down, even themselves with self deprecating humor.  If you insulted her in this manner, take ownership for it, and apologize for it.  Own your own crap. 

You cannot change how you behaved in the past; however, you can change how you behave in the here and now and the future.  If your partner raises an issue, even if it seems 'trivial' to you, it isn't to your partner, as they took the time and effort to bring the matter to your attention - you don't want to be dismissive towards your partner, as that will develop negative feelings towards you.  At a minimum you need to validate to them that you have heard and understand their concern, and then express your opinion on it in a tactful manner if your opinion conflicts with theirs.

After apologizing for your behavior, do express you are very hurt and confused and you would like some clarification on where you might have gone wrong, listen to what she says, weigh it, and act accordingly.

Excerpt
Last night I am getting messages again from her. I was trying to explain (JADE-ing perhaps?) that it is unfortunate that I have not had the time to show her a different side to me; the more serious one that is loving and cares about people around me. She seems to have cherry picked some joking around comments I have made about inanimate objects and taken them very personally. I am beginning to see she is rather sensitive. Although there has been a passage of time since the 80’s, I think we are in many ways the same people we were back then, just an extension of that. She knows what my personality is like, I would have assumed.

Anyone who has been in abusive relationships can be overly sensitive to things, or poke fun of themselves with gallows humor / dark humor (I am in the 'humor' camp, myself; however, my BPD wife is not).  Also have you heard the expression "Assumption is the mother of all F***ups"?  There is wisdom in those words.  This strongly implies that good communication is really needed here, so that there are no 'assumptions' so there is less chance of a misunderstanding that can result into the mess you now find yourself in.

Since you have admitted to being insensitive here; please take the time and effort to admit it to her, take ownership, and apologize for it.  If she accepts your apology, request, to be notified if you are saying something that she finds insensitive as you are still getting to know her so you know how to adjust things as she has previously been in an abusive relationship and you want to be mindful of that.  Also, please be mindful, that you have been in two very bad relationships with #2 & #3 yourself, and may have gotten BPD fleas, and have unhealthy coping mechanisms, something to unpack with your psychiatrist; however, she may be able to help you identify some of them with her feedback when you ask for an explanation.

Excerpt
Last night she says “thanks for fixing my washing machine” and wants to know what she should do with the shirt I left there. I told her it is old and she can toss it out. Then she is upset about that, saying a less than perfect shirt is no use to someone like me.

Perhaps you overreacted and said this in haste, and indicate this to her, in retrospect, and you will collect the the shirt the next time you see her, or she sees you.  Please try not to look at this as black/white as that is what people with PD's do, but instead, shades of gray.

Excerpt
She tells me she needs a loving creative relationship in her life and she is now feeling down because she had to break up with her boyfriend today. I ask about these other ‘suitors’. She says she has many other men in her life but that isn’t the point. She tells me it is insane. She spends all day checking her messages waiting for me to type something. I reminded her that she said I was on trial, and unfortunately I have failed her test. She said but now she misses me. “Damned if I do etc….”

I personally think that there may have been mistakes on both sides.  She had unrealistic expectations of you texting her all of the time - this is a Yellow flag/questionable (click to insert in post).  Also, she said you were her boyfriend, and you thought you were still on a trial period for being her boyfriend - that is a very big 'assumption' there on her part, also a Yellow flag/questionable (click to insert in post).

Excerpt
Maybe I am just crap at relationships. I am going to have to spend this year looking at this in therapy. Is it possible that I picked the same partner three times, or a version of the same partner? Or am I reading too much into this? I was due to see her in a couple of days, but there is no mention of this now. And in the meantime I am receiving fluctuating messages from girlfriend #3.

No, mate, you aren't crap at relationships; but, you have had crap relationships.  I think you might be reading too much into this.  You have had limited experience with good relationships, so having a good relationship is a learning experience, and the only way to get better at them is to learn from your mistakes, make corrections, and do better in the future.

If you are still interested in #1, express this, that you have had nothing but crap relationships, and you want this relationship to be different, and you are seeing a psychiatrist to help you out and you aren't perfect, but it is your goal to learn and grow and be a better person for yourself and her too.

Excerpt
I did say I can’t really lose, earlier on in the piece. Well I guess I have a double loss now. It isn’t all bad. I get to have some alone time and to look at myself. I really don’t want a repeat of the same old…. I am not entirely convinced that #1 is finished with me yet. And that might be a worry, even a red flag.  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

This is not a double loss yet, it is definitely a change of dynamic where you are now behind in the score, as you indicated it is not all bad.  Is this a Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post), maybe - it is a Yellow flag/questionable (click to insert in post), definitely, so proceed with Paragraph header (click to insert in post) until it becomes a Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) [lose] or a green flag [win].  There is another cliche we have here in the states "It ain't over, until it is over", so until that point is reached, there still is hope.

Excerpt
Reading this back…..Am I missing something here? I am, aren’t I? Is this some kind of test. I’m not all that good at this!

Right now you are likely missing something, as you have inexperience.  Hindsight is 20/20 [no pun intended], once you have had a chance to reflect on this you will  likely see the situation more clearly.

It could be a test.  I know I have been on the receiving end of such tests, and I have also given out these tests.  You could make this into a 'test', as a normal person will be able to forgive such an offense that you have done ( disparage inanimate objects ) ; however, many borderlines are less likely to forgive such an offense and will hold a grudge, or they will completely forget about it in 1 to 3 sleep cycles, as mine does some of the time.

Also, today send an apology for being insensitive with your 'punk' comments that were offensive to her, and you need some time to think about this to sort your feelings out how you could be so insensitive, and you would eventually like to get the shirt back.  This will likely increase the chance of keeping the door open to #1, and also give you some time to think about it.  Talk with your psychiatrist, and perhaps your sister too and move forward, in a direction that you want to move.

Perhaps, start a journal, if you haven't already (or refer to this thread) so you can see the progress that you are or are not making.

Take care, and do some self-care, whatever that might look like for you.

SD

P.S.  Please keep us updated.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2024, 08:41:50 PM »

I feel you could use some comic relief right about now.  Have you seen the Gary Larson mugs?  I've collected a few that were meaningful to me. Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=351337.msg13181959#msg13181959

Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2024, 05:45:03 PM »

I have been meaning to update here but have either not found time or been conflicted about what is going on.

The situation with girlfriend #3 is very minimal contact now. She messages me every few days but I have seen her just once in a month. There are times when I think I miss her a lot, but there are other times when the BPD issues really hit home and I am grateful not to be stuck in that on the frontline every day.

There have been ongoing flags with girlfriend #1. What seemed like a fairytale romance is sadly not. I may be wrong, but I am increasingly discovering some signs of BPD traits perhaps. Sometimes when I have received a text message, I have had to double check to see if it really was from #1 and not #3! Also, there are signs of a push/pull dynamic perhaps.

I have noticed her take huge offense to some things which I never intended to offend her with and I have suddenly found my self JADE-ing. For example, in a text conversation she had mentioned about people needing to have space sometimes, and then in brackets put (or outer space). As I know she loves music I sent a youtube link to the Sun Ra documentary Space is the Place. She clicked on it and got very angry. Apparently she skipped though it and saw a scene where women were being abused. I was surprised and said I was not familiar with that scene. She was then questioning the whole ‘relationship’. What sort of a man am I, sending videos of women being hit? Didn’t I listen to her own experiences of abuse? Do I get off on this sort of thing?

And it is not just that. I have many diverse interests. Because I have spoken about my interest in the Second World War and mentioned I had spend hours in the past watching mind numbing true crime documentaries, I am now being labelled as ‘ultra-violent’. I am spending way too long trying to explain how people sometimes have a fascination with the macabre. When the conversation becomes circular and I think it is best to exit it, I am sweeping it under the carpet.

Last night it was insinuated that I intentionally waited until my second visit after we slept together before I told her I was into violence. “You didn't mention the hard core stuff on your first visit. You saved it for the second visit, and I had already been to bed with you...so I am grappling with what you are...maybe an insane lunatic ...after I had already been so nice to you!” It is like she is ignoring all the other aspects of me which she may like. Apparently I stayed in violent relationships because I enjoy it. I feel like I am being painted out to be a person I am not. I feel completely misunderstood and judged.

So I am not sure what to here. I suggested to her we maybe need to get to know each other better. My therapist set me a task to find out from her what she wants from this connection. Her answer is she wants congruence, mutual consideration, and peace of mind. “ Basically, I'm sad to be on my own, cos its lonely, but the loneliness is not as hard as trying to communicate with you.” “As I recall I put quite a bit of effort into making sure you had a nice time when you visited”.

Right now, I am thinking I need to be single for a while before I get myself into another relationship. This is already becoming too much to deal with. I am off to see my psychologist on Friday. Hopefully things will become clearer after that. I suppose one good thing to come from this recent reconnection; I have been able to pull myself away from the magnetic field of an abusive BPD relationship…. only to nearly get myself into another one! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I’ll update soon. Thanks for your ongoing advice. I am interested in what your thoughts might be. Hope you are all doing well!
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2024, 07:27:20 PM »

Right now, I am thinking I need to be single for a while before I get myself into another relationship. This is already becoming too much to deal with. I am off to see my psychologist on Friday. Hopefully things will become clearer after that. I suppose one good thing to come from this recent reconnection; I have been able to pull myself away from the magnetic field of an abusive BPD relationship…. only to nearly get myself into another one! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I don't think anyone here needs to say that there's some massive red flags there.  That's the problem with hopping from one relationship to another without taking the time to reflect, heal, and grow...it's very easy to think, "This is better than that so it must be the right move." 

No judgement here- maybe GF #1 is amazing.  But proceed with caution and actually take the time to figure out your needs first.

Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2024, 08:46:12 PM »

Thanks Pook. I think you are right. Perhaps I need time to reflect? I haven’t had that yet. Maybe girlfriend #1 is ‘normal’? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) It is easy to see the world through the bdp lens after decades of being in the thick of it. Some time to myself is really in order.

I’ll see if I can slow things right down. I am in no shape to dive into a full blown relationship right away. I have to say, she has been very kind to me, and tolerant of my predicament with the last partner.

Maybe I am just jumping to conclusions?
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2024, 09:35:21 PM »

Thanks Pook. I think you are right. Perhaps I need time to reflect? I haven’t had that yet. Maybe girlfriend #1 is ‘normal’? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) It is easy to see the world through the bdp lens after decades of being in the thick of it. Some time to myself is really in order.

I’ll see if I can slow things right down. I am in no shape to dive into a full blown relationship right away. I have to say, she has been very kind to me, and tolerant of my predicament with the last partner.

Maybe I am just jumping to conclusions?

For me, I'm 18 months outside a BPD relationship and my growth has come in spurts.  For instance, my story of what happened to end my marriage today would be different from how I would have said it three months ago.  Strange right?  But I actually had to process it, understand my role in everything that happened, and then heal from it.

I started dating online maybe 6-8 months after separating, simply because I couldn't stand the loneliness at times.  No harm in flirting virtually, right?  There was a realization there as well, I was distracting myself from dealing with the actual problems in my heart that needed to be worked through.  Because at that point, I believed it was all my wife's fault, I was a victim, and I deserved to move on.  Those were all lies though that I was telling myself in the moment to cope.

Nobody here can say how long you need to take to heal and process and grieve.  For me personally, it was a good 16 or 17 months to fully accept what had happened and my role in it.  You can certainly jump right into another relationship and never look back, people do it all the time, but that also comes with some mental scars that will creep back in when you least expect them...maybe even to sabotage future relationships.

Plain and simple, the decision is yours and yours alone how to proceed.  Everyone here understands grief and pain and loneliness, so you won't find much judgement no matter what you decide.  My only advice would be to do you, figure out what matters in your life outside of relationship, then enter the next romance with eyes wide open.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2024, 04:53:10 AM »

I am going to go way out on a limb here with some ideas.

Not every relationship is a long term one. I think it's too early to decide if GF #1 is for the long term but for now, you seem to be enjoying the connection with her. You were in a long term dysfunctional relationship. It's GF#1 who prompted you to change that. IMHO, if you were not with GF#1 you might return to GF #3 out of habit or loneliness. This doesn't mean using GF#1 to avoid GF#3- it's that your interest has shifted to her and there is something positive between you.

I don't know if there are red flags with GF#1 or not. It sounds to me as if she is a bit frustrated with the communication sometimes but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to be with you. She wants to communicate with you.

There is also some bit of discovery- after 20 years there are interests and aspects about each other that neither of you know already. There is nothing wrong with each of you having your own interests- you two are different people. She sounds a bit surprised at some of yours- but there is nothing wrong with your interests. Perhaps she didn't expect them.

In a way, you have been in an isolated situation- as your relationship with GF #3 was not a typical relationship. But aspects of it may have suited you as perhaps emotional distance was less of a challenge - but at a cost of emotional abuse. So I wonder if the relative isolation kept you distant from the challenge of communication in relationships.

GF#1 doesn't know all aspects of you either. Being interested in history of a war, or forensics doesn't mean someone is violent in their actual lives. There are other aspects of these things- foreign affairs, the science of forensics- that are not violent. I think GF#1 is expressing her own fears- wanting to be sure you aren't violent but interested in justice, geopolitics as well. It's how you share this information and maybe there's room for practice in communications.

There's no way to know how this is going to turn out. However, it seems as if GF#1 coming into your life has prompted you to make some changes. There could be some positive in this. Your idea of being alone for a while- that can work but it's also a comfortable and predictable situation. GF#1 may be challenging you to communicate better.
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2024, 06:25:18 PM »

Staff only Locked thread due to reaching post limit. Splitting off into a new thread which you can find here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=357805.0
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 10:38:02 PM by SinisterComplex » Logged

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest