Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:11:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing voices  (Read 437 times)
Shy33
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating

« on: March 14, 2024, 04:38:58 PM »

I was with my girlfriend (now ex) for 5 years. We had a great life together. We both each had 2 girls from a previous relationship.
We all loved each other. As a matter of fact her 2 children told me that they see me as their father. All was going well, and we planned on getting married one day. Then, out of the blue, she tells me she’s constantly hearing God’s voice telling her that I am not the man she needs to marry, that there’s someone else that God wants for her. Because of this, she decided to end our relationship. My question is, is it common for people with bpd to suffer hallucinations? Will these voices ever go away. I’m hoping it well and that she will come to her senses. Has anyone experienced a similar situation with their significant other?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 10:15:29 PM »

Shy33,

Sorry that this is hard to deal with. If I were to guess, this doesn't sound like schizophrenia, but maybe more Magical Thinking. My ex thought the grass was always greener and if she could just find The One to make her happy... that translates into validating that she is worthwhile and deserving of love despite the constant inner BPD mantra that she was not.

Are you still on contact?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
HurtAndTired

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: High Conflict Marriage (Improving)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 09:16:33 AM »

Hi Shy,

I am so sorry that you have been dealing with this situation. It is not an often discussed part of BPD, but hallucinations and delusions are very, very common for pwBPD. Research has found that psychotic episodes with BPD are not only common but frequent and tend to persist over time. Auditory hallucinations are the most frequent form of hallucination experienced by pwBPD. Here is just one article about the phenomenon:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-science-mental-health/202208/hallucinations-about-harm-in-borderline-personality-disorder

If you do a Google search on "BPD hallucinations" you can find many scientific studies from the NIH and other medical organizations that go into much more detail. My dBPDw hears voices that tell her negative things and it often fuels her dysregulation. The good news is that medications can help with these very debilitating symptoms. The challenge is to get the pwBPD to realize that they have a problem and need to seek psychiatric treatment. Just like other disorders that have psychotic episodes, these voices will not last forever. However, without medical treatment (usually a medication with antipsychotic properties, not just an SSRI), they are likely to return again and again and be chronic. I am currently trying to get my wife to go through with her expressed desire to see a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner and am hoping against all hope that she is prescribed a medication that not only stabilizes her mood, and treats her anxiety and depression, but also limits or stops the psychotic episodes.

Unfortunately, like most things BPD, the duration of this hallucination/delusion is completely unpredictable. She may "come to her senses" tomorrow or she may persist in her beliefs indefinitely. Please keep us updated on how you are doing and how the situation is evolving. Also, remember to take care of yourself. You have no control over her situation, but you do have control over yours. Remind yourself that you didn't cause this, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. Give yourself some grace and do some self-care. You can't be ready to help anyone else if you aren't caring for yourself.

Keep in touch,

HurtAndTired
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest