Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 02:32:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnt out and Trapped  (Read 461 times)
Nee Mom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 19, 2024, 03:39:20 PM »

Hi.  My husband and I just had our first child 9 months ago, and his behavior is getting to be more than I can manage.  I realize that, before we had a child, I spent a great deal of my energy shaping the environment so we could co-exist happily enough, but now I don’t have the energy for it.  He really wanted a child, and I told him it was going to be a huge change, that my focus would be on the little one.  Neither of us really knew what that would look like. 
Two months before giving birth, he decided that he really wanted a puppy.  He’d always wanted a dog, and now he had ‘excuses’ to get one.  (Our LO could grow up with a pet, he would have a companion to help him jog more, sort of an emotional support animal since my husband had also been recovering from tonic clonic seizures).  Soon after he realized it was a mistake.  It’s too much to have around.  Any small infraction (whining, barking, scratching too much), and he’s making the dog hurt.  It’s also translated to how he releases aggravation about other things, like when I asked for privacy or after we were intimate.  There’s too much for me to process, especially now that my LO is not sleeping well.  I’m getting only a few hours each night, working full time, and I started collage again.  My husband stays home with our little one, so I’m afraid to do anything that might affect his behavior for the worse (since he’s prone to ‘demonstrating’ the worst version of anything I try to address, and I won’t be home to protect my baby).  I guess I feel trapped.  He barely even cooks anymore, I’ve taken to meal prepping on the weekends and ordering pre-made meal kits.  Garbage only goes out if I mention it, and even then, I often have to take it out myself because he is escaping into video games.  He’s too overwhelmed after watching our child during the week to do anything in addition except occasional chores so I end up doing homework after I finally get our baby to sleep but then the baby is crying again a few hours after I finish.  I’m just burnt out and feel like any attempt to improve our relationship will likely result in an unsafe environment for my child and I won’t be there. 
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Nee Mom

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 10:32:20 PM »

If I were to ask a question, it’s how would you go about determining and introducing boundaries without creating a dangerous environment for our child when I go to work?
CravingPeace

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 10:48:11 PM »

Sounds like you are having a really tough time.

Does he ever take the baby at night so you can rest? Sleep deprevation is the worst. In my household roles are reversed I work in the week but will often take the baby at night at weekends.

What type of boundaries are you trying to set? Also how is he taking things out on the dog, and what do you fear he would do to the baby? Has there been physical violence?
Nee Mom

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 08:33:22 PM »

Hi CravingPeace.  
Pre P.S. goodness, after not talking to anyone for fear of affecting their opinion of my husband, I’m literally spewing words.  (Side note:  I think the current multiple-feedings-at-night thing is just a phase, the baby has been a good sleeper before, and I’m working on getting him more relaxed for sleep which is helping)
My husband has taken the baby a few times.  Nights are rough though.  I’m exclusively breastfeeding (with the introduction of some puréed solids). When the baby was little, my husband didn’t respond well to waking up (he never has, so that’s not new.  Just knowing him I think I really should cover the nights).  I didn’t like the verbal abuse, so I stopped waking him up.  Then he started sleeping in the living room so his sleep apnea/snoring wouldn’t interrupt our sleep.  He says he wants to help at night, but it’s counterproductive because after I’ve fed/rocked the little one and they won’t go to sleep, then I ask him to take and rock the baby, he’ll do it groggily for about an hour while the LO fusses then bring him back saying ‘I think he’s hungry’.  In that time I’ve been able to lay down, but not sleep, so it feels like that process just extends the time I’m awake at night.  Occasionally, we’ve done a prepped bottle at night but it seems like the main thing our little one wants is his mom.  
I’m not sure what a good boundary for me, or how to set it, would look like.  The only one I’ve set is, if the kills the dog, I’m taking the child and leaving.  That’s not really and everyday boundary.  
As for the dog, it’s a big, gentle dog and he takes out his aggravations on it.  He says he’s just pinning it to the ground to show dominance, but he has also hit it in the face and repeatedly punched it.  When he holds the muzzle, I’m pretty sure it’s hard enough to hurt the tender skin around the lips.
The main concern I have for my baby is growing up around that violence, being desensitized early, maybe feeling emotionally disconnected or tossed into the crib when my husband can’t take the crying anymore.  One time he held the baby up by his legs to clean up a poopy diaper because he kept reaching towards his crotch, but that was at noght when my husband has a harder time regulating his reactions.  I don’t know what he does when I’m at work.  
CravingPeace

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 10:55:53 PM »

Wow that does sound tough. It sounds like you are saying he does try to help but nights are very hard. I can relate to that. Like you say hopefully a phase.

The worrying things I really took were the hitting the dog, and holding the baby just by his/her legs.

I think the boundary about killing the dog is certainly one! If a bit late. Id say punching the dog would be enough to want to get out of there.

I am not sure if you feel endangered. Like he maybe violent if you place further boundaries ? Bit it sounds like something needs to change with how he handles the baby and the violence to the dog.
This isn't acceptable.

Others may have better advice , as I haven't been in a potentially violent situation like this I dom't want to encourage you to do something that makes it worse for you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest