Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing my mind  (Read 4093 times)
Stephen1999

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: March 26, 2024, 07:30:13 PM »

Ok so I’ve been struggling hard. It’s been almost two months since my pwBPD broke up with me in spectacular fashion.

I’m really having trouble with this. I tried so hard to be a good man to her and now I’m up on a harassment charge and she’s painted me as a deadbeat drunk psycho who was basically holding her and her daughter hostage. Last night my lawyer told me I have no defence and am guilty. I really wanted to fight this at trial. I can expose a ton of her lies but the lawyer told me they don’t matter. At the end of the day she told me to stop talking and I did not. Doesn’t even matter what I said apparently. I thought they would at least have to consider the context of what happened and the relationship between her an I but nope.

This is hell. I loved her with all my heart but, in June 2023, she flipped and literally told me I would abandon her and she doesn’t think we’re a good fit anymore. This coming from a woman who appeared to love me 10000%. I just don’t understand. Even though I read all these forums and get what’s being said, feel 99% sure she’s BPD, nothing makes the pain go away.

I don’t know why she did this and I’ll never know. She has wiped me from her life and convinced herself of a bunch of lies about me. I’ve never felt such injustice in my life and I don’t know how to control all the feelings.

The really sick part is I still love her with all my heart. I want her back but I know we’ll never see each other or talk again. It breaks my goddamn heart every second of every day.
Kashi

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 10:37:38 PM »

I don't think I am the best person to answer this. Nobody else has.

I think she is fully elevated, and I would suggest you try and get some time, so she eventually comes down and realizes a couple of things. 

She has distorted the situation and in fact you can expose her.  If indeed she had BPD.

Because untreated BPD do not want to be exposed. 

Don't make it worse by fighting back.  It gets you nowhere and in fact that is what they will try and do. 

If you go there, you just fell in the trap. 

You have rights within the law.  You have rights as a human being. 

Stick to those rights that are yours. 

If you need to defend yourself in a court that is what you need to do.   However, I think if you can hold that off for long as possible, she will move on to the next person or she will come down a bit from her rage and start to think it through.  Think it's actually not a good idea. 

You are the scape goat at the moment for every horrible thought and emotion she is feeling.

As far as love what she is doing is not love.  You are the only truly feeling love.  You take that love and walk away.

swisco

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 05:05:21 AM »

This is an awful situation Stephen - I am so sorry.

You need to know that you are NOT alone in having had to deal with something like this.  I was discarded in a similar way by my now ex-wife 4 years ago amidst a slew of lies and false allegations to the police about my alleged "conduct".

I don't accept your lawyer's view that there's "nothing you can do", and neither should you.  Although the dice might appear to be loaded against some of us (because we're not one thing, but another), most Courts (in reasonable jurisdictions) are still concerned with the truth.  All of the allegations made against me (and another person) by my ex were either dismissed or disproven.  Nothing came of them.  However, to get to that point I had to (a) get myself a lawyer who knew what he was doing, and (b) get proactive.  I put together as much evidence as I possibly could into a document citing dates, times, potential witnesses and contexts which was then presented to the Court.  Many of these types of cases come down to a "he said, she said" sort of scenario where the complainer has no real evidence other than their own testimony backed up by a (usually highly visible) projection of distress.  If she has no evidence, I would urge you to fight this and not resign yourself to some sort of inevitable defeat which will undoubtedly result in consequences for you.  It certainly will be inevitable if you do nothing, and simply take your current lawyer's advice.  If your lawyer cannot support you in fighting this, they are not worth your money, so fire your lawyer and find one that will.

On a different note, you need to change your mindset IMMEDIATELY about the person you thought you knew who is doing this to you.  You may think that you love her, and claim that it wasn't so long ago that she "felt the same".  However, the reality of your situation is that this person is now an enemy, who means to cause you real-world harm.  This is not a game they are playing.  They are showing you that they will stop at nothing to hurt you, to take you down.  The reasons for them doing so are beyond your control - you can only defend yourself.  So under the circumstances, you don't now have the luxury of holding on to past ideals given your current situation.  It may be hard to accept, but accept it you must.  Their time  with you is now over and you have to deal with the situation as it is, not as you would wish it to be.

I wish you luck moving forward with this.  Please, make no assumptions about what this person will NOT do to hurt you - I made that mistake, and trust me it got brutal.  You MUST stand up for yourself.

In the meantime, keep venting on here,  People do understand.
Augustine

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:27:10 PM »

I don't accept your lawyer's view that there's "nothing you can do", and neither should you.

He’s Canadian, and the current prosecutorial heuristic is that women are incapable of making false accusations in cases of harassment and/or domestic violence, so legally, he has just cause to find his circumstances more than a little nettlesome.

I found myself in a similar bind last June when my relationship ended, managing to slip to safety by the narrowest of margins.

In Canada, your life and reputation can be stripped completely away merely on the whim of a disgruntled ex partner.
Stephen1999

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 01:30:30 PM »

Thanks all

I don’t accept there’s nothing I can do about this either. She’s dragged my name thru the mud and I have evidence showing her lies so it should definitely matter.

It’s hard to get over the shell shock though. I asked her to stop abusing me and her response was to accuse me of abuse to the police. After four years together I never saw it coming. Listening to her statement and hearing her voice tell so many greasy lies about me was definitely one of the most disappointing moments of my life. She really hit me hard and I have no idea how one person can do that to another.

I’m hanging in there. Getting therapy and trying to work on myself. I’m not going to let this destroy me.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 01:55:50 PM »

I’m really having trouble with this. I tried so hard to be a good man to her and now I’m up on a harassment charge and she’s painted me as a deadbeat drunk psycho who was basically holding her and her daughter hostage. Last night my lawyer told me I have no defence and am guilty. I really wanted to fight this at trial. I can expose a ton of her lies but the lawyer told me they don’t matter. At the end of the day she told me to stop talking and I did not. Doesn’t even matter what I said apparently. I thought they would at least have to consider the context of what happened and the relationship between her an I but nope.

Where (in which document/filing) did she do that?

If Canadian law is sometimes similar to USA law, then there can be certain documents/submissions (maybe the "complaint"? it's been a while for me) where the party can say whatever they want. There is no legal or logical relationship between what the party says in the complaint and what actually happened. She could say in the complaint "I charge Stephen1999 with harassment, abuse, criminal trespass, and forgery" but that does not make it so.

Last night my lawyer told me I have no defence and am guilty. I really wanted to fight this at trial. I can expose a ton of her lies but the lawyer told me they don’t matter. At the end of the day she told me to stop talking and I did not. Doesn’t even matter what I said apparently. I thought they would at least have to consider the context of what happened and the relationship between her an I but nope.

Can you remind me if she got any kind of protective order, restraining order, or temporary restraining order against you?

There may be a grain of truth to what your (current... you can look into different L's) lawyer is saying.

It may be true that "exposing her lies" doesn't matter. What I mean by that is:

if the choice is that you can either clear your name/get charges dropped, or prove she's a liar, then you need to focus on clearing your name and getting charges dropped. I am assuming there are charges against you?

You can always call around to other lawyers, describe your situation, and see what they would recommend. Sometimes that's called a consultation, other times it's called interviewing. Pick whatever label is the lowest cost or free. If most L's in your area are on the same page, then at least you know where things stand. If other L's differ dramatically from yours, consider switching to a more assertive L.

I don’t know why she did this and I’ll never know. She has wiped me from her life and convinced herself of a bunch of lies about me. I’ve never felt such injustice in my life and I don’t know how to control all the feelings.

pwPD's sometimes use the legal system as a way to punish previous loved ones. It is so unjust and painful. We have been there, too.

The feelings can be intense. I wonder if pivoting from trying to control them, to noticing them, could be something to try. I'm a "stuffer" and control does not decrease the intensity of the feelings.

What does your therapist think about your situation?

I don’t accept there’s nothing I can do about this either. She’s dragged my name thru the mud and I have evidence showing her lies so it should definitely matter.

Legally, there's how things should be, and how things are. To be legally effective it's important to let go of "but it should/shouldn't be this way" and pivot to "this is how things are, what can I do with that". Maybe easier said than done, but ultimately it's up to you: to try to have your case be a bellwether changing legal precedent (changing "how things should be") or to have your case have the most beneficial outcome possible within current constraints. It won't feel fair.

Have you checked out our divorce/custody board yet? Lots of legal advice/feedback over there. Take a look and see what you think.

It’s hard to get over the shell shock though. I asked her to stop abusing me and her response was to accuse me of abuse to the police. After four years together I never saw it coming. Listening to her statement and hearing her voice tell so many greasy lies about me was definitely one of the most disappointing moments of my life. She really hit me hard and I have no idea how one person can do that to another.

I’m hanging in there. Getting therapy and trying to work on myself. I’m not going to let this destroy me.

Yes, that's common, for pwPDs to accuse you of the thing they are already doing. She's in low-skill survival mode where lashing out at you makes total sense to her for her own self-preservation. Mental illness is so tragic and destructive.

Glad to hear you're getting therapy. How often do you go? How's it been so far?
Wipedout

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 03:30:43 PM »

I’m just reading this and just joined yesterday. All I can say is I can relate. With pwbpd two years, got horrifically emotionally abused, discarded maybe 15-20 times, and now she is where yours was at. Don't contact me ever again situation. And yes, after I made a fool of myself and became codependent and trauma bonded, totally losing myself in the process. I think like so many veterans to this say here, no point in asking why they do this, it just comes down to mental illness and leave it at that. I’m now blocking her and going to start no contact for myself. Thoughts of wanting to be with her flood me but I’m just trying to ignore, us wanting to stay for the abuse is just as illogical and crazy as them leaving someone who fought for them.
Stephen1999

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 08:16:01 PM »

Thanks Kells. I’m going to answer your questions soon.

Just one additional thought. How does one cope with the loss of someone they deeply love who now hates them for reasons that are completely and logically untrue? To know it’s all false and be able to show it as all false and have it believed anyways? To watch the person you love slowly start to hate you right before your eyes and not be able to do a damn thing about it and eventually have to walk away while they lock the door behind you and go into the future fully believing you’re a bastard when you’re obviously not?

I guess the worst thing for me is feeling that I’ve been misrepresented and my name besmirched. I feel like I could put her behind me a lot easier if my name was clear.
Stephen1999

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 08:20:11 PM »

Kells, your questions answered in order:

1. She said all those things about me in her statement to the police.

2. There was no protection order or anything already in place.

I have consulted another lawyer and she says that I actually do have a fighting chance. I haven’t switched to her yet but strongly considering doing so. Trial is a risk no matter what though.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest