Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:44:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: What is your Myers-Briggs personality type. See link for test below. ( ) = percentage in the US population.
ISTJ (11.6%)
ISFJ (13.8%)
INFJ (1.5%)
INTJ (2.1%)
ISTP (5.4%)
ISFP (8.8%)
INFP (4.3%)
INTP (3.3%)
ESTP (4.3%)
ESFP (8.5%)
ENFP (8.1%)
ENTP (3.2%)
ESTJ (8.7%)
ESFJ (12.3%)
ENFJ (2.4%)
ENTJ (1.8%)
---> See first page of thread for data table!

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 14  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self reflection. Take a look. Take the test. What are your results?  (Read 25359 times)
heromyth

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:21 AM »

Interesting.

I'm an INTJ now, and was as a BPD. My sister has always been an ESFP (and is BPD). May be something to do with my Aspergers. I do think that part of the reason she has never sought treatment (or admitted to any problem) is because of her personality. It's always been very difficult for me to deny reality/fact- easier for an "F" to do so. I also think the J vs P is more influential than one might think; Ps tend to be more comfortable with (I want to say chaos but not sound so negative!)well, disarray or uncertainty than Js. A PD is all about chaos, so the sense of "wrongness" inside a PD might be stronger for a J.

This is really similar to thoughts I've had on it.  Also, an INTJ borderline is the quirkiest thing I've heard in a long time.  Definitely not a combination I'd have imagined.  I think you hit on something with the Asperger's; sometimes I think BPD shouldn't be diagnosed in a case of AS because of the similarities, but notable differences.  But then, if you have a sister with BPD, it really speaks for it being an organic issue. 

Definitely a base personality would seem to affect treatment, as you said.  Being intuitive and naturally perfectionistic probably lends to a higher chance of becoming regulated.  I guess you could say you're fortunate. :D
saywhat?

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2011, 06:19:23 PM »

I took the Meyers - Briggs Personality Inventory years ago for a couples retreat... .Funny thing is that my personality type is very hypervigilant... .so much so that it causes tension in the head, neck, and shoulders... .The Inventory actually said this in the description... .and it is right on the money!  I have seen that one of the symptoms of having a BPD parent is hypervigilance... .Another trait that overlaps is a keen sense of intuition... .Also... .I think that only 3-4% of the population has this personality type... .About the same percentage as BPD people... .Coincidence?  Oh, and my personality type is ENFP... .

If you have ever taken the Meyer's Briggs, I would be curious to know what your type is and what you think about that in relation to your pwBPD?

Also - the core personalty is the middle 2 letters... (NF for me)
Waiting to Exhale

« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »

I'm INFP - introverted, intuitive, feeling, perceiving.  Not sure about my personality type but I think it's pretty right on the money for me. 
tiredmommy2

« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »

I think I'm a ENTJ (might have mixed up a couple of letters-I took this a while ago)... .supposedly this this the personality type of many of the MALE CEO's of the world.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

My personality type is that I aggressively pursue what I want (mainly in the business world) & am demanding & impatient. I also have a strong need to keep everything in order.  I can come across as being too... .logical I guess.  I am very analytical & things just need to make sense to me.

I think that my BPDm has plenty to do with the results of this test.  I need everything to be in order (my life was nothing but chaos growing up).  The demanding/impatient stuff probably comes from my perfectionist tendencies (nothing was ever good enough for BPDm). I don't know why I am analytical or this aggressive, but in the business world, it sure does pay off! Smiling (click to insert in post)
Jaihree

« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »

Skip----Thanks for the information.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) I’ve known for +20 years that I’m an ENFP.  I just never knew about the “hypervigilant” aspect of it.  Interestingly enough, I have a very keen sense of intuition.  I never rely on data like so many people do.  I can normally come to the same conclusion in a short amount of time, without it, as others do with the data and it takes them longer.  Sadly, our society doesn’t look favorably on people who use intuition to draw the same conclusions as those who need printed facts and data.

I have this thing I say about myself and how much information I process... .(I've heard this from other ENFPs too)... ."If people had any idea what is going on up there!"  I have a hard time turning it off.  I'm a sponge when it comes to learning and needing to learn.  I'm far from being a genius, but I just have a need to learn.  My sister told me one time that I'm the thinker of the family.

I wasn’t quite sure of the exact meaning of being hypervigilant.  So I did a quick internet search.  Interesting how I fit the model so closely.  Here’s a link I found that gives a good comparison between paranoia and hypervigilance.  www.cbkit.tripod.com/id14.html   YAY!  I’m not paranoid.  

I found some interesting things about myself at the bottom of this page that I knew but didn’t really attribute to anything.  Some that I didn’t know had anything to do with other than healthy life choices….

*Hyperawareness and an acute sense of time passing, seasons changing, and distances travelled.  (I’m always very aware of these.  I just thought it was part of life)

Healthy life choices, or so I thought (and still do)….  

*An appreciation of the need to adopt a healthier diet, possibly reducing or eliminating meat - especially red meat (working on)

*Willingness to try complementary medicine and alternative, holistic therapies, etc  (American health system is to focused on medication and not on prevention)

Trying to be better at this….

*A constant feeling that one has to justify everything one says and does

What can one expect when their FOO makes them feel this way?... . 

*Feelings of worthlessness, rejection, a sense of being unwanted, unlikeable and unlovable

*A feeling of being small, insignificant, and invisible

*An overwhelming sense of betrayal, and a consequent inability and unwillingness to trust anyone, even those close to you

Also, yes, I’ve heard that we ENFPs are about 3 – 4 % of the population too.

saywhat?

« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »

Interesting that 3 of us have the NF core personality... .

Also - Jaihree - so good to meet another ENFP... .I have only known one other... .I completely relate to all that you said!  I am extremely intuitive and come to conclusions very quickly that take others lots of research to come to... .Maybe it is because of the hyper-awareness... .I also have a compulsion for amassing vast amounts of knowledge! 
saywhat?

« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »

Sorry - I accidentally posted before I was done... .

Tiredmommy - I wish that I had the need for everything to be in order!  I think my tendency to be messy (Not Dirty) comes from the fact that even though I could never count on a stable mood from my mom, she was almost OCD about everything having aplace and evrything being in it's place... .I think deep down I rejected that because I did not want to be like her!  Talk about serious unresolved issues... .I have found that since I have been NC, I have actually gotten more organized... .maybe because I don't have her whispering in my ear that I am soo messy... .

Jaihree- I agree about the alternative medicine and I also feel as though I need to constantly justify everything I say and do... .I am working hard on that... .trying to be OK with myself and not worry so much about what people think of me... .

Very interesting!
Gowest

« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »

Really interesting. I've noticed that I have a different approach to a lot of things than other people here. I was thinking about making a thread on attachment theory, but this ties into it too.

I'm INTJ.

Excerpt
Masterminds tend to be much more definite and self-confident than other Rationals, having usually developed a very strong will. Decisions come easily to them; in fact, they can hardly rest until they have things settled and decided. But before they decide anything, they must do the research. Masterminds are highly theoretical, but they insist on looking at all available data before they embrace an idea, and they are suspicious of any statement that is based on shoddy research, or that is not checked against reality.

No wonder my mother can't stand me. Smiling (click to insert in post)

My mother, btw, is ESTJ - "The Guardian". I can't believe I still remember that.
MotherSpirit

Relationship status: single

« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »

I'm INFP - introverted, intuitive, feeling, perceiving.  Not sure about my personality type but I think it's pretty right on the money for me. 

That's what I got when I took a sample test before! :D
EvenSteven

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »

At various points in my life I have tested as an INTP or an ENFP... . My I/E personality is balanced on the test.  I'm an introvert who loves company but doesn't need it. I love parties but then I isolate during because socializing and background noise is draining.  As a child I looked forward to family gatherings but they were always precluded by my mother's emotional antics.  Once we FINALLY made it, I was -i don't know- embarrassed even though no one saw what I saw, they knew about the drama.  I didn't want anyone's sympathy.  i just wanted to play it cool, i.e. casually not talk to anyone even though I desperately wanted some authentic attention from family. Gawd, that's a gross way of remembering those patterns.

My N is far stronger than my S.  Which meant that no one ever gets my jokes.  And which means I'm one of the few human beings on this planet who knows what my mom is talking about when she isn't in "Wise Mind."  And

Anyway, my T/F is balanced or confused, you pick.  I am very analytical but I wrestle with a world of emotions.  Go figure?

As for my "P" - it's entrenched.  It is very nearly a direct artifact of my mother's poor psychic boundaries.  Perceiving is my defense mechanism - my hand rail of equanimity.  On the dark side, it is another way of measuring that "I don't ever know what I want" because there was no ****ing room for that in the midst of mother's demands. 

Escaping home, getting married and being gainfully employed has softened the milquetoast effect reasonably.
saywhat?

« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »

Even Steven - my T/P is very confused as well... .I teeter over to T at any time... .I asked the facilitator what this means and he said it means that one day you will be a T and another day you will be an F... .I am very much a thinker, but I feel things very intensely... .Sucks sometimes! 

Also, I am very much an E... .but I read somewhere that ENFPs are the only extrovert type that needs alone time... .It probably has to do with all of the hypervigilance and overthinking... .we need time alone to process... .Sometimes I feel overwhelmed, because I am always researching information and always hyper aware of the moods and unspoken cues of those around me... .The combination is sometimes just too much!
saywhat?

« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »

"Because they are so alert and sensitive, constantly scanning their environments, ENFPs often suffer from muscle tension. They have a strong need to be independent, and resist being controlled or labelled. They need to maintain control over themselves, but they do not believe in controlling others. Their dislike of dependence and suppression extends to others as well as to themselves."

That is quote from an ENFP site... .sorry, I haven't figured out how to do that quote thing, yet!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

This is probably why I resist my mother's manipulation... .

I have to wonder, though, how much of my personality is mine and how much is from the environment I grew up in?

Waiting to Exhale

« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »

I think whenever I take my analysis class we get to take this test so it'll be nice to see if I've changed over the years.  I also get to find out my IQ and all sorts of other fun things.  Although I really don't look forward to the class because it's a science based class and I'm sure the stuff we learn will be hard :/
dados76

Relationship status: Living together for over a year

« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »

both R and i are INFP... housemate is ENFP... which works good... she can split time between us and neither of us gets our introvert side stepped on too much and she doesnt end up ignored Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Vivgood

Relationship status: married 14 years

« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »

Smiling (click to insert in post) Hi gowest, I'm INTJ. I hardly ever run into other INTJs!

Excerpt
Masterminds tend to be much more definite and self-confident than other Rationals, having usually developed a very strong will. Decisions come easily to them; in fact, they can hardly rest until they have things settled and decided. But before they decide anything, they must do the research. Masterminds are highly theoretical, but they insist on looking at all available data before they embrace an idea, and they are suspicious of any statement that is based on shoddy research, or that is not checked against reality.

Haven't ever seen this, interesting... .especially since I'm a research statistician in RL and every word is true!

And tiredmommy, I love ENTJs. DH is one (The Field Marshall) and I appreciate the organized mindset so much, and the aggression can be such a useful trait.

vivgood
saywhat?

« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »

So far, ALL of us have the N - I think having a BPD parent made it imperative that we exhibit intuition... .

Oh and in the previous post, I meant that my T/F was confused... .or maybe I am just confused in general! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
findingmyselfagain

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

Also ENFP... .gradually went to P from J over the years. Interesting that we were all attracted to BP's. Wonder if it's the Feeling... .not being bound as much by rules but base our decisions on feelings.
tiredmommy2

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

Excerpt
And tiredmommy, I love ENTJs. DH is one (The Field Marshall) and I appreciate the organized mindset so much, and the aggression can be such a useful trait.

Sometimes!  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Vivgood, I'm happy to see a woman with a similar personality... .I was told that this was not a common personality type & that it was actually rare for a woman to have it... .I feel like less of a freak now.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Gowest

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »

Smiling (click to insert in post) Hi gowest, I'm INTJ. I hardly ever run into other INTJs!

Even though it's only supposed to be 1-4% of the population, usually when I find a topic like this on a messageboard I use it's like half INTJ. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Like attracting like, but we're all here for a different reason than a hobby or whatever.
saywhat?

« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »

Welcome, Mobocracy!  This is so cool!  I have never met this many ENFPs before!
sarah1234

« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »

I am Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging - ENFJ

Which I see I am all alone on this thread  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

It does pretty much describe me (am extroverted) and a people person
The Ride

« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

ISFJ- the guardian/protector
wonderwhy

« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »

I did this test about 6 months ago, and came up as ISTJ. I'd be interested totaled the test again now and see whether the process of detaching has significantly changed my personality type. I always said he made me feel like a totally different person.

Incidentally, he was INFJ. Did your BPD ever take the test? Would it even work on someone with a pd?
marlo6277

« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »

Hey all! I just wanted to pop in and say I LOVE personality tests!  xoxo

I am an ESTJ alllllllllllllllll the way. LOL

When I took the test, I score very middle of the road with the 'ST' part.  I am roughly about 53/47% balance for each one - S/N and T/F. 

But after reading the description, I definitely fall in the ESTJ category.  I took the test when I worked at my former office.  It was part of a team building exercise.  What's also funny - is that the group of people that worked with me in our unit (scheduling court hearings across the country) also scored ESTJ!  There were 6 of us. And we were all the same 'personality type'. 

At the end of the session, little 'prayers' were printed off an handed out to each person that talked about their personality.

The ESTJ "prayer" is as follows:

God, help me to try to not RUN everything. But if you need help, just ask!

This is soo very true! LOL 
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

I'm an INFP.   Hi!

Is that close enough to be in the cool ENFP club?   Smiling (click to insert in post)

I am an ESTJ

OMG, Marlo, we are complete oppposites... .

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

FreeNclear
formerly StillTrying

« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »

I am an INTP.  Maybe the only one here?  Most likely the only female INTP.  I've taken this twice in my adult life, at least 20 years apart.  Same result.

I take everything my unBPDbf says as having some meaning.  I try to analyze it, it makes me insane because it is illogical.  I don't do a good job at making him feel loved.  I don't do a good job with working with or even recognizing my feelings.  I am very flexible, which ultimately probably gets me in situations that end up pissing me off. (this is only in part facecious).  I buy the books to try and figure out the answers.

Are there any others out there?  If so, I'm curious as to how you deal with pwBPD.
marlo6277

« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »

I'm an INFP.   Hi!

Is that close enough to be in the cool ENFP club?   Smiling (click to insert in post)

I am an ESTJ

OMG, Marlo, we are complete oppposites... .

Opposites attract, dontcha know?  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I think my DH is INFP as well... .
PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

Relationship status: Separated since Nov 30, 2009

« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »

I'm an INFP.   Hi!

Sure, just hang with us and we have a way of turning Is into Es. That is ENFPs superpower, and why introverts love us. We are like alcohol minus the hangover!

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »

Sure, just hang with us and we have a way of turning Is into Es. That is ENFPs superpower, and why introverts love us. We are like alcohol minus the hangover!

By definition  - an introvert is definitely part of my charm. Smiling (click to insert in post)

I will take alcohol without the hangover though!

DG

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

The Ride

« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »

Do percentages matter on this test? 

I- 67%

S- 1%

F- 25%

J- 67%

These are my results.  Tia!
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 14  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: